Help Me Pick A Sport 20 and Sport 40 Hydro .

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You always compare real boats to r/c. It don’t work the same at all. Any dumas Kit wouldn’t compete with today’s boat hull designs. You live in the past. If you wanna race for last place go for it.

Okay, let me go back to my big boats one last time:
Why did the Madison beat the Bud and the Atlas? Because the Madison FINISHED IT'S HEATS!!! That is the exact same way you win in R/C. Finishing your heats and driving clean will get you into the connies and final more often than not. Correct me on that if I'm wrong.

You gotta finish your heats is true but with the hulls out now they are handling speeds way higher then those hulls where design for. Where talking maybe a 15mph difference in speed. A dumas Eagle with a OPS 45 isn’t going to out run a Phil Thomas hull with a CMB or Nova. Talk to anyone that runs in Sport 40 country which is IN any state surrounding it. You would get lapped with a Eagle or any other Dumas product. Same goes for Sport 20. You would have to redesign the whole sponsons, air traps pretty much the entire bottom to run fast with today’s engines. By running fast I mean heat racing and not blowing over. Handling 10mph head winds full throttle. Which is what the current ML and PT hulls do really well.

Okay, I can deal with that and THANK YOU for explaining the WHY behind your previous post, much appreciated

The Dumas Eagle is a awesome sport 40 kit. If you can find one that is. It would really get you ready for building a 1/8th.
Could not find one . I have a couple Newton Plans . 109 Miss US U-2 and 138 Miss Rock U-40 . I am going to take them to a place called Reproductions here in Tucson and they will scan them to DWG's for me and then I can open them in AutoCad . From there I can scale them up or down and print templates on my plotter . No need to trace or cut up the originals .

Thanks to technology we can do this rather easy today. But back in the 90's we didn't have all this software available, and we had to do, what we had to do.

Me, back then I worked for a sign co, Cook County Signs. So I knew to take a prick wheel and trace the plans, putting tiny pin holes along the drawn templates edges, then use a powder and pounced the templates shape onto the balsa and make the hard template. I'll never do that again but it was fun and real model building. I still have the balsa templates somewhere. See the good thing about a hard template is when the wood sponson or hull gets ripped apart in a crash, it is rather simple to make the parts again, without having to do all the template work.

I know the eagle is hard to find, I been looking on and off for about 7 years for one. I never understood why Dumas dont do some limited retro runs of the older kits. I'm sure they wouldn't loose and money, they won't get rich but they wont lose money either.

I'm not into hydros anymore. I always loved outboards.

Good luck with it.

So I have purchased one of Bob Tuttle's Sport 20 kits and cowling for my sport 20 . And am getting Dumas Sport 40 templates and 2 cowlings from Hydro Junkie . I also purchase a Futaba 4PM with 2- R334SBS receivers .

Just so its clear, the cost of my 20 and 40 kits include full frame kit, with precut sheeting, quarter round, half round, and dowels. I have never spent much time sanding lasered edges as my laser guy has one of the best lasers made, and the burn is minimal. My prices, if added include canopy as well. Not just a frame kit like my scale hulls. I am not the only laser kit seller either. Just wanted to clarify as it seems like it was directed at me a little. My sport hulls are built in 3 pieces, not notched, but have dowel rods running through the hull, creating a near unbreakable structure. Something my GSX480 gas sport perfected years back. That is all. Also, Brad Maglinger uses my sport 20 and holds the 2 lap record, so it is proven!

Just so its clear, the cost of my 20 and 40 kits include full frame kit, with precut sheeting, quarter round, half round, and dowels. I have never spent much time sanding lasered edges as my laser guy has one of the best lasers made, and the burn is minimal. My prices, if added include canopy as well. Not just a frame kit like my scale hulls. I am not the only laser kit seller either. Just wanted to clarify as it seems like it was directed at me a little. My sport hulls are built in 3 pieces, not notched, but have dowel rods running through the hull, creating a near unbreakable structure. Something my GSX480 gas sport perfected years back. That is all. Also, Brad Maglinger uses my sport 20 and holds the 2 lap record, so it is proven!
I hope this was not directed at me Mike . We had a very good conversation on the phone and still plan on ordering my 1/8th scale and most likely another sport 40 from you. I was glad to get patterns for the Dumas Eagle as it was one boat I really wanted to build 25yrs ago .

Mike, I enjoy building your kits...they've been inspiration for my own...I didn't know you supplied the skins for your smaller kits.
Bob

I am currently building a sport 20 nitro boat for Bill Gibson and it is going great! You can assemble the boat without any glue to see how it goes together as the parts fit that well! The amount of burn on the ply is nat too bad but I still like to sand it off as it makes a cleaner build.

Brad

Phil makes an incredible boat...no doubt, I have two of his hulls...but we're talking about wood kits

Brad is building an ML Sport 20 Hydro for me, and I just built a Bob Tuttle Sport 20 Hydro....ive also built an ML Wild Thing and can say nothing but good things about Mikes and Bobs wood kits! Brad is an incredible builder and has built a number of boats for me as I have waayyy too many builds on the board myself!! Ya see.....I got this "thing" about building wood race boats 😂 :p! Im very glad that guys like Mike and Bob offer their kits to us wood freaks!
Oh and I have A Phil Thomas 1/8 scale and Sport 40 hydro and they both build and run great.....glass is cool too!!

Latest posts

Back