The JVD 20 Sport Hydro

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"... sometimes wonder why you don't see more ppl running the winston lobster boat in scale ..."

Hey Len,

And you're telling me how bored you get looking at MHR 8255 hulls all over District 8 !!! I haven't seen a decent 8910 Lobster at a 1/8th Nitro race in years. The same hull with maybe a fresh water cowl or a Salt water cowl would get really old quickly. That's why Olde Fartes like myself and Roy build Liberties and Peps IV. None of that: " There are all made of ticky tacky, and they all look just the same" nonsense for us.

Now, quit goofin' around on here and get that U-50 finished - Jan. is coming quickly !!! CHEERS !!! Bob
rofl Bob!

Roy and I were talking about doing the liberty before I saw your build....nice choice :)

The 8255 is an awesome running boat, it's nice to see other hulls out there (Liberty/Peps)...a little variety never hurt the class.

Roy has been pushing me hard to finish (I think he's excited to get his pep's on the water :) ) and I do my best to resist (trying to do some decent work), I feel close but its going to be awhile ...zzz

How can we race together? Have you figured that out yet? I think it's going be Nats/Internats hopefully soon...

more later,

Len

Last edited by a moderator:
You have to be hardy to boat in the NW in the winter. Here is a video of JD's new hydro taken on American Lake this morning in mid 30s temperature.

JD 20 Hydro-3.wmv

Attachments

• JD 20 Hydro-3.wmv
    1.5 MB · Views: 194
Thanks Chris for taking the video in less than idea photo conditions. The boat is still a "work in progress" and a "redesign" is already being discussed with Rod Geraghty.

I'm glad I bought lots of plywood back in Nov.

JD

JD, has anyone ever told you you're crazy? Then again, I can't say much since I'm looking at doing some running on Lake Roesiger after the first of the year as well if I can get a boat or two ready to run :rolleyes:

I had the opportunity to get in some serious testing of the boat today. Beautiful day out here in the Northwest - mid 50s this afternoon and no wind.

My first runs were not all that impressive with the boat still bouncing in the turns. While the boat was sitting on a pit table, Matt Hench pointed out that my rudder blade was probably deflecting the prop blast and that could be part of the problem. The rudder mount was flipped and the rudder spaced further away from the prop. The rudder is on the left side and it probably should be on the right side, but that's another story.

With the change in the rudder position, the handling in the corners was much improved. I tried three different props, reworked Monohan 1445, Prather 220, and a stock X442. The X442 provided the best ride. Jim Mameril and Kelly Gruol provided a couple of suggestions regarding the turn fin which will required removing the fin and drilling some new holes.

I was pleased with the results of today's testing, but there's more things to still try.

Happy New Year,

JD

Edit..

I have what I need.. thanks guys

Grimracer

Jerry you have my utmost respect,I just hope this thing dont roll into IMPBA events. While it is a cool looking boat in smells to high heaven Modified outrigger. Guess we will see where we go next

Jerry you have my utmost respect,I just hope this thing dont roll into IMPBA events. While it is a cool looking boat in smells to high heaven Modified outrigger. Guess we will see where we go next
Hey Mikey,

Well, if I were to bring it to an IMPBA event it would make an interesting looking B Hydro. ^_^ Although I have been making progress with this design(notice I didn't qualify it as a specific hull this time), I'm not yet certain it's any better than my old reliable "Mini Mutt" Sport 20 that I've been racing for the past 7 years. :wacko:

JD

Hey Jerry,

I'm thinking that Mikey is still suffering from the last 'Outriggeresk" Sport boat he had to evaluate technicaly. He's still healing up from that barrage of e-mail incoming he had a while back - Har, Har !!! The bottom of JD's is a flat, continuous plane, Mike. Rod was absolutely correct - "panties wadding up".

I'm thinking we more battle aged warriors should build round nose hulls, and let the younger generation develop the "Condiment Fork" hulls - Har, Har !!!

You know how fond I am of photos, Mike. Let the games begin!!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

In the Right corner:

And in the Left corner:

Bob,

You do not race the class is that right? but.. you have intentions of joining in?

thanks in advance..

Let me update this.. truth is we could use more background, undersanding, around this class.. I have only been racing it for around 10 years.. I still feel like a nubie! lol

Grimracer

On a wet and windy Puget Sound morning, seeing those two photos from the 2009 NAMBA Nats definitely brightened my day.

Just for "Chuckles & Giggles," I'm considering a challenge race between my "JVD Whatever 20 Hydro" and my "Mini Mutt". My son, Paul, and I would switch off racing the boats against one another.

JD

Jerry,

Can you PM me your address again please?

I think I can help you with a better propeller.

I have a recent design that may go well on that set up.

Happy New Year,

Mark Sholund

Email is: [email protected]

231-590-3023 call me if you would like?

Hey Jerry,

I'm thinking that Mikey is still suffering from the last 'Outriggeresk" Sport boat he had to evaluate technicaly. He's still healing up from that barrage of e-mail incoming he had a while back - Har, Har !!! The bottom of JD's is a flat, continuous plane, Mike. Rod was absolutely correct - "panties wadding up".

I'm thinking we more battle aged warriors should build round nose hulls, and let the younger generation develop the "Condiment Fork" hulls - Har, Har !!!

You know how fond I am of photos, Mike. Let the games begin!!!! CHEERS !!! Bob

In the Right corner:

And in the Left corner:
Now why would those full size boaters want a boat like those? Dont look like a 1970 hydro at all. Maybe trying to go faster.

Back