THE BEAST!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
David are there any cold cycle facilities in your area? We had considered using the cryogenic treatment facilities in the Detroit area to have them run the cranks through their low temperature stabilization process. It worked great on our extrusion dies and gun parts. Just a thought.

Thanks John
john, we have done this with some of our drag engine parts with very good results,mike.

We did ops 90 piston and slave in 65 ops case trying to get away from

Ops 90 case weight hard t0 start two starters ran ok

attachicon.gif
DSCN3922.JPG billet piston 1.01

attachicon.gif
DSCN3924.JPGstock piston 1.01

attachicon.gif
DSCN3923.JPG1.20 piston and RPM alum rod

Big difference in the mass and this is with out the needles for the 1.01 set up.

I am pretty sure the Ti rod will not weigh in much more than the alum one if any.

Think I will go with light and bushed rod.
David,

About the Ti Picco 80 rod that Joe Warren offered. The 80 rod is much shorter (1.70" I think) than the 1.814" Picco Hydro 90 rod that you have

You may want to verify with Joe before he sends it out to you.

David are there any cold cycle facilities in your area? We had considered using the cryogenic treatment facilities in the Detroit area to have them run the cranks through their low temperature stabilization process. It worked great on our extrusion dies and gun parts. Just a thought.

Thanks John
Don't think I will have to go that far.

Is there a paper gasket on the front carrier to block?

If so I will replace it with a bras shim stock gasket. That and some lock tite should keep it all work good.
That is what I did with the small block Picco Hydro 90s. Never had a problem. Set up many of them back in the day. The paper gasket

allows too much flex which escalates with time and eventually disaster strikes.

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

Big difference in the mass and this is with out the needles for the 1.01 set up.

I am pretty sure the Ti rod will not weigh in much more than the alum one if any.

David,

About the Ti Picco 80 rod that Joe Warren offered. The 80 rod is much shorter (1.70" I think) than the 1.814" Picco Hydro 90 rod that you have

Glad some one knows this stuff.

The 90 hydro rod is perfect length.

If I use the OPS big block rod it is longer don't want to do any jug shimming if I dont have to.

Now is there a Picco 90 hydro Ti rod?????????

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

David,

If I use the OPS big block rod it is longer don't want to do any jug shimming if I dont have to.

You rang?
default_rolleyes.gif

I went into my way, way back bin and found what I think you're after. 8 mm crank pin, 6 mm wrist pin, 46 mm C-C., 9.68 grams incl. the needle cage. Pretty sure it's a Hydro 90 rod.

I can't quite remember but IIRC some guys were having issues with the caged needle assembly, maybe others here remember. I never ran that motor.

PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you.

DSCN6283.JPG

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

attachicon.gif

David,

You rang?
default_rolleyes.gif

I went into my way, way back bin and found what I think you're after. 8 mm crank pin, 6 mm wrist pin, 46 mm C-C., 9.68 grams incl. the needle cage. Pretty sure it's a Hydro 90 rod.

I can't quite remember but IIRC some guys were having issues with the caged needle assembly, maybe others here remember. I never ran that motor.

PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail to you.

DSCN6283.JPG
WOW.........that be the SH!T right there.

YOU ARE THE MAN.................................

The RPM alum one is 9.56 g so that rod is light for sure and has needles.

Will swap out the caged ones and put in fill complement set.

That just made this a very exultant build.

Thank you again Terry..................

This bad boy is going to spool up now. 1.27 CID worth wound up "BEAST"
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png
default_ohmy.png

Andy I thing we are going to need a bigger boat like you said.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
The crank and rear disk drive are set up for it already. the stock .90 rod runs needles.

Had a old style one that came in a parts eng.

That new one looks nice.

But it is to long.

The problem is the 1.20 sleeve is shorter than a big block .90 sleeve.

So you have to reduce the jug height to let some of the sleeve stick in the case for line up. with the OPS big block .90 rod ther would be almost nothing sticking in the case for line up. Do not want that jug wandering around at high RPM's

The you have to get the piston set in the sleeve at the right height at TDC.

Can not be to low or to high you know tapper and all.

The Picco hydro .90 rod is the perfect one to build this.

Lots of details need to be taken into account doing some thing like this.

I love doing this kind of build.

Who else would dream up this kind of crap.......LOL

Had a old style one that came in a parts eng.

That new one looks nice.

But it is to long.

The problem is the 1.20 sleeve is shorter than a big block .90 sleeve.

So you have to reduce the jug height to let some of the sleeve stick in the case for line up. with the OPS big block .90 rod ther would be almost nothing sticking in the case for line up. Do not want that jug wandering around at high RPM's

The you have to get the piston set in the sleeve at the right height at TDC.

Can not be to low or to high you know tapper and all.

The Picco hydro .90 rod is the perfect one to build this.

Lots of details need to be taken into account doing some thing like this.

I love doing this kind of build.

Who else would dream up this kind of crap.......LOL
David,

Not sure it is a good idea to use that thin sleeve to attempt to hold the cylinder block centered. If side load is going to move

the cylinder, the same force is going to distort the sleeve.

Better plan would be to bolt it together using the sleeve for alignment then drill down through the blocks and install alignment pins.

Then use the big rod.

Both of those Picco 90 rods (Alu., Ti ) are very sketchy at best for that 1.25" bore.

I know it means more work to get it all set up, but it will live.

Or maybe you like to work on stuff just to watch it Blow Up? LOL

Yes pining the jug is a very good idea. I will make that happen.

OK then lets gust keep with the plan and do a big rod.

I will mock up spacers in the rod to do the shimming till you get the new one prepped.

you know I rummaged threw the box I had all this in and found the stuff to pin the jug already in there.

Have steel sleeves that will run down thew the jug and in to the case after I drill the 2 front blot holes out to 5/16.

Funny how you can't remember stuff when you get old........LOL

OK the intake system is all set up and mounted. 

I think this will feed the beast .610 X .790 

Dick you SKEERD YET?????????

Don't for get to take your sleeping pills tonight.......LOL

DSCN3947.JPG

DSCN3948.JPG

DSCN3950.JPG

Dave what’s the intake disk look like know that you put that giant  opening their lol it’s bad to the bone!!!

The disk will cover the hole. It is not bigger top to bottom by much than the original hole.  just wider like the carb. I made the carb so the .610 hole was the same size as the original hole or very close. Just made it wider.

Lots of room in this block and eng design to make things bigger.

DSCN3951.JPG

Back