Still Scratchbuilding??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Boy do I need to build an 1/8 scale after all these years and helping Roger Newton build and run his web site and never built one yet. This is inspiring to start building one but it is always the lack of time and funds.

Jeff

Hey Greg,

Did you finish the Qatar and have some pics for Show and Tell?? Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

2012 Frosted Flakes 009.JPGI never really made a spash announcement on IW when I finished my Frosted Flakes earlier this summer as I race in the great white north of Alberta but thought I might include a note here and in keeping with the original thread, talk about scratch building. I was bored one winter approximately 7 years back and still had some wood and a set of plans that I purchased many years back and thought to entertain myself through the winter. It had been 20 years since my last scratch build and was surprised to realize I hadn't forgotten much. That still didn't stop me from taking 7 years to build Tony, I find when I get into one of these builds and you let your creative juices flow, its really hard to turn it off at bed time, some nights I would lay there wide awake all night puzzling out my latest build challenge and how I wanted to do it. So and after hammering away at the project for a number of months I justed needed to catch up on my sleep and would set it aside for 6 months or so, then start the insanity all over again. My racing buddies listened to me talk about the build so often they began to wonder if it even existed, so with a final push and many sleepless nights of sanding, masking, painting, not liking what I saw, sanded, masked, painted over again and until I arrived at the final product and look I envisioned. Mid summer 2012 Frosty came to life that day and to my extreme pleasure was wicked fast and with no real bad habits. In one day of testing back home and when I especially had Tony really cooking I hadn't noticed a small wood duck landing in turn 1, ran over top of him and when he met my rudder which had the pivot bolt too tight I ended up ripping the tansom out of it and was sent back to repair mode but after another month, we were back to racing in Calgary. All in all I too love scratch building even though the time to do so is huge, the finished product is a creation of your own mind and hands, nothing can really compare in my mind at least. Have never weighed the boat, I know its a little heavy, you should have heard Al Hobbs whine about dragging it down to the water to launch it, so and true to the hobby this winter is being spent on putting Tony on a diet, if for no other reason than so Al doesn't hurt himself, need to take care of that guy, after all he's getting older and has a bad hip. Just kidding Al, you've never looked fitter! Anyway,here is picture of Tony before meeting the duck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Greg,

Your Frosted Flakes looks very nice. You have a greater patience for painting than I.

Glad to hear that someone is watching out for Al - Har, Har !!! I actuallyscratch built two of these 8255 hulls. The one that went to RB has been finished and run quite a bit. Mine sat around just sealed with epoxy. Lets just say it took me 5 years to get around to painting it.

Scratch building has always been very enjoyable to me. You can build to satisfy no one but yourself, and I like that. CHEERS !!! Bob

Snowed in here in Indiana thought I'd take advantage of the "free" day to get some boat work done. Received my graphics from Mike Monday and couldn't put it off any longer............. almost ready for clear coat...........!!!

Left Front.JPGRight Front.JPGTop Left.JPGRight Rear (2).JPG

Hey Greg,

The Qatar looks great!!!

What timing - graphics arrived on Monday and then snowed in so you had the chance to apply. We went from 75 degrees and high humidity to high winds and freezing through the night. Was 50 degrees in the garage when I mixed some West's epoxy to make a section of exhaust tube. It's inside now and I'm hoping it kicks soon. CHEERS !!! Bob

Looking great Greg.. What.. No Mountan Dew can in the background? Your lossing it man!

Grim

Don,

You new ride looks great. But the shop is way too clean. I have three projects going at once so it looks like a bomb went off.

Happy Holidays,

Bert Dygert

Don,

You new ride looks great. But the shop is way too clean. I have three projects going at once so it looks like a bomb went off.

Happy Holidays,

Bert Dygert
Too clean? LOL, just took pic from the right angle. ;)
Ask any of the guys who've been here what the shop typically looks like...... :blink: :p :lol:

Greg, I noticed your Qatar doesn't have the little wing on the top back of the cowling. I'm not sure what's it for but I noticed sometimes they ran with it and sometimes they didn't. Do you know anything about it, and why they didn't use it all the time?

Greg, I noticed your Qatar doesn't have the little wing on the top back of the cowling. I'm not sure what's it for but I noticed sometimes they ran with it and sometimes they didn't. Do you know anything about it, and why they didn't use it all the time?
At Madison ( I'm lucky enough to attend every year) which was the first race for the new scheme (same boat) as 2011, they ran the fin in practice Friday and then took it off and ran without it the rest of the weekend. They didn't run a fin at all in 2011.

I noticed later in the year they normally ran the fin with the salt water snorkel, next time I talk to Dave i'll ask. Usually when we talk it's all about the numbers and design elements and aero...........I've forgot to ask him twice now..........I would imagin it's all cosmetic, I don't think there's any need for more side force on top if the scoop but at 200 mph you never know! It could help smooth air flow through the scoop? I'm just guessin

That's what I know

g

Greg and I talked about that vent fin and he decided to forego it since they were kind of spotty on where and when they ran it. Early on in Detroit it wasn't there but later it was. Same thing in Tri-Cities and I was there for that one. Seafair it seemed to be there throughout. San Diego it was on and I was there for that one too. Funny thing too is that the decals on it changed a lot too. In fact a lot of the decals on this boat changed from race to race. And don't even get me started on the dots!!! I thought I was done drawing those after the Valken.

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg and I talked about that vent fin and he decided to forego it since they were kind of spotty on where and then they ran it. Early on in Detroit it wasn't there but later it was. Same thing in Tri-Cities and I was there for that one. Seafair it seemed to be there throughout. San Diego it was on and I was there for that one too. Funny thing too is that the decals on it changed a lot too. In fact a lot of the decals on this boat changed from race to race. And don't even get me started on the dots!!! I thought I was done drawing those after the Valken.
Yes the minor sponsor decals change like the wind on this boat! when it arrived Thursday afternoon in Madison it was completely clean only Qatar, Numbers and dots. then every day a couple were added to the rear of the scoop and then the bottom of the right vertical. nothing on the left side. same thing happens at Indy every year, the cars arrive early in may clean and by raceday every tom, dick and harry have their sticker on them!

g

Latest posts

Back