Still Scratchbuilding??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thought I'd try to revive this thread and try to develop some reference sources.

Plans have most usually been limited to:

1. Roger Newton's Paint Schemes, 3 View Layout and Bulkhead Plans.

2. I have a set of plans drawn by Les Ruggles for the U-50 Miss Wayne, and I understand from Larry Kraemer that there were more drawn by Les.

3. I have seen a few drawings from Matt Devine of full scale Unlimiteds. A pic of a U-4 Step hull drawn by him is attached.

4. Recently I came up with a 3 View drawing, also from Roger Newton, for MHR 5702 Miss US (attached). It is marked "#2 in a series" - - Has anyone seen or do they have any others?? David says he does not.

There are a number of Scale aircraft builders that also do Scale hydroplanes on this site. There are a lot more resources available for aircraft than for Unlimited hydroplanes. Examples for aircraft would include scale three view drawngs, and engineering drawings. This makes sense because there were often thousands of a particular aircraft built.

Has anyone seen any other sources for drawings, plans, engineering drawings for Unlimited hydroplanes?? I know plans for some limited class hydroplanes are available. A friend of mine was quoted a price for a set of plans for a limited hydroplane from Ron Jones.

Just thought I'd throw this out there to see what shakes out. There are a number of us that have enjoyed Unlimited hydroplanes for years, and have modeled and race a number of them. Here's an opportunity to share some of the "Trade Secrets" and maybe develop the Scale Hydroplane ranks in the process. CHEERS !!! Bob

The latest on the Qatar boat, ready for light fill and prime. Still trying to get it to Hobart but the summer has been brutal.

ellstrom Qatar - Copy.JPGleft rear - Copy.JPGleft side - Copy.JPGright rear - Copy.JPGtail cone - Copy.JPGtop inside - Copy.JPG

Awesome Greg,drove near your house on the way home from Celina and almost called to see if you were home

you should have, by late afternoon was done cutting and cleaning up the down trees from the storm Fri eve. I was ready for a break!!

I was ready to go racing till the storm hit.

stop by any time

First rate work there Greg. Especially like the detail work in the transom and under the cowling. Its kinda neat to see how the boat comes together with the different pieces of wood before paint. Actually, its very helpful for us less experienced scratch builders. Thanks for sharing the pics.

First rate work there Greg. Especially like the detail work in the transom and under the cowling. Its kinda neat to see how the boat comes together with the different pieces of wood before paint. Actually, its very helpful for us less experienced scratch builders. Thanks for sharing the pics.
Ken, just an FYI i've started a video series on scratch building the first is on basic tools, just compleded filming one on fiberglassing the skin which will be out soon

check it out

gh

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fj7cmGkGf_w&feature=player_embedded

Movie Star,you should have broke out the strings and done some pickin! Cant wait to see the next vid

Mr. Hahn this is an excellent first video. I hope to see more. Thats is a beautiful scale you have there. I cant wait to see it done. Its a priveledge to get to see someone who builds boats of this calibre techniques and tips learned along the way. My eyes and ears are wide open sir.

Last edited:
I like what I saw on the video though, just my opinion here, I don't particularly like that style jig. I've never had any luck with an open jig when it comes to installing the bottom of the boat

Greg, your boat looks great.My gas scale T-6 is about the same stage as yours,but I'm trying to get ready for Evansville instead of Hobart.In an effort to keep as much weight out of the rear as possible,I have epoxy light lay up rear wing and vertical fins with some carbon fiber at attachment points.Is your wood set up lighter,or is there another reason for wood?Your turbine tube is awsome particularly the bolt ring at its front.I also noted that it appears that you filled in the deck depression at frame #7.Roger Newton's drawing shows the depression ,but is it really there on the real boat?

For those of you not in the mid west and have not seen Greg's stuff,I saw his RC scale B-25 complete with all rivets showing,scale cockpit,scale engines,etc,etc,etc.Unreal!

We'll get together some more after the racing season on my Humpback Bud.

Harvey

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, your boat looks great.My gas scale T-6 is about the same stage as yours,but I'm trying to get ready for Evansville instead of Hobart.In an effort to keep as much weight out of the rear as possible,I have epoxy light lay up rear wing and vertical fins with some carbon fiber at attachment points.Is your wood set up lighter,or is there another reason for wood?Your turbine tube is awsome particularly the bolt ring at its front.I also noted that it appears that you filled in the deck depression at frame #7.Roger Newton's drawing shows the depression ,but is it really there on the real boat?

For those of you not in the mid west and have not seen Greg's stuff,I saw his RC scale B-25 complete with all rivets showing,scale cockpit,scale engines,etc,etc,etc.Unreal!

Harvey
Harvey, on the Qatar boat they lowered the "up wind" deck aft of # 8 by 1.5 inches more than the standard T6 boat and carried it to the transom to help the aero package. So the dip in that area is even more exaggerated than it was originally. I filled the area just to smooth out where the deck pieces all come together.

I had the pleasure of purchasing a hull from Mr. Hahn in an unfinished state ( everything was finished up to putting the decks on and the cockpit. ) and I am very impressed as to how well it was constructed that I just recently put the decks on as I wanted to try to match the precision that was put into the framework and the bottom.( which I can't of course ) Can't wait to see it run.

Harvey
Harvey, on the Qatar boat they lowered the "up wind" deck aft of # 8 by 1.5 inches more than the standard T6 boat and carried it to the transom to help the aero package. So the dip in that area is even more exaggerated than it was originally. I filled the area just to smooth out where the deck pieces all come together.
From what I believe you said Roger Newton's drawing is correct on the T-6,and I should leave the deck depression.Thanks for the info.Harvey

Harvey
From what I believe you said Roger Newton's drawing is correct on the T-6,and I should leave the deck depression.Thanks for the info.Harvey
yes, they were trying to use the aero of a stepped sponson (smaller sponson side area like on the old round nose) and also create more downforce in the turn. when you cut the deck down to match the lower sponson that creates the depression you're talking about. you still want to create a smooth transition but the depression is correct

Hugh,

buring through the sand paper as we speak nothing much new to see right now except the gloss is now off the resin. anything particular you wanted to see or ask?

Latest posts

Back