Still Scratchbuilding??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No sir id really rather just watch your build. But now that you ask ill ask one question about scales. If a guy like me that doesnt live in WA. or have the oppertunities to see some of the real scale boats we want to model after;how do we get good pictures of the detail in the cockpits or things of that nature ???

Last edited:
well I'm from Indiana a long way from washington (either one) but if you ever get the chance to take in a H1 regatta it's well worth the effort. get a pit pass and talk real nice and they'll often let you in to get some good photos. the hydro museum has a good site with good photos and documentation on the older boats. for modern boats they often have their own site and have good photos. Chris Denslow has a good site for photos also

here's a couple links

http://thunderboats.ning.com/

http://www.h1unlimited.com/

http://cdenslow.smugmug.com/

"no sir id really just like to watch your build"........... See what Im saying fellas? Awesome isnt it! Greg theres nothing to say all I can do is L :eek: :eek: K! If i had any questions it would be like a million of them, so Ill just watch!Theres just nothing you can say accept awesome! The spoke shave was a dead giveaway on how deadly those hands are!!!!!!!! When I saw that I knew I needed to be watching this build.

Hugh

Last edited:
Mr, Hahn how did you accomplish such a beautiful turbine exhaust outlet on this scale? I really want a nice accurate one on my Circus U-31 PL.

Hugh, can't remember if the u31 is straight or cone shaped but if it's straight simply buy a 12" wide roll of roof flashing coil at menards (natural alum) decide on a diameter, do the math for circumference which is Pi X D or 3.144 X diameter. cut so that it over laps on the bottom 1/2" sand both mating surfaces with 180 paper for a glue flange. tighten the roll over a straight broom handle or piece of pvc pipe (take your time don't get a kink in it) to get the diameter close then clamp and thin CA the flanges together (CA glue will hold the alum well if the seam is good and tight) over lap the seam on the outside with alum adhesive back furnace tape to finish.

if it's cone shape you'll need to decide your diameter at both ends make a pattern out of thin card stock. draw a centerline on the card then split your two diameters in half and draw them off the centerline. make the length longer by at least an inch cut the angled sides of your fan pattern and roll together overlapping by 1/2 inch. tape the cone together then cut the end to make the tube flat (this will create an arc between the sides when flattened the card back out). when you're satisfied with the look and shape use the pattern on the aluminum and repeat the steps above.

hope this helps

gh

Your boat is looking super.You're just ahead of my gas scale.I'm still priming.Looking forward to hopefully seeing your boat in Evansville.What is your finishing system,filler,primer,color,and sealer?

Harvey

This is the first day I have looked in this thread, and I really like that Qatar build Greg, incredible workmanship! Are you doing this years paint scheme??? I really like the way it looks this year! Mike

This is the first day I have looked in this thread, and I really like that Qatar build Greg, incredible workmanship! Are you doing this years paint scheme??? I really like the way it looks this year! Mike
Mike,

yea doing the new star burst candy maroon and white. been talking to Mike M. on graphics getting the right versions for my documentation. Wanted to have it ready for hobart but I'm out of time. looks like it's first race will be Eville in the spring

gh

Well Greg, 3 years ago I started this build. You got me motivated to get back to it. After 2 failed tries, finally pulled a useable top from the mold. I'm not a glass guy by no means, learning as I go. :eek:

Latest posts

Back