Still Scratchbuilding??

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, old man winter is making for some serious shop time.......
Yo Don what brand 3in1 is that in the background? Nice boat......If you get tired of clean come visit me I have plenty of dust
That's a Smithy 1220XL. Trust me the only thing clean is the work surface the new ride is sitting on. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Greg, I noticed your Qatar doesn't have the little wing on the top back of the cowling. I'm not sure what's it for but I noticed sometimes they ran with it and sometimes they didn't. Do you know anything about it, and why they didn't use it all the time?
At Madison ( I'm lucky enough to attend every year) which was the first race for the new scheme (same boat) as 2011, they ran the fin in practice Friday and then took it off and ran without it the rest of the weekend. They didn't run a fin at all in 2011.

I noticed later in the year they normally ran the fin with the salt water snorkel, next time I talk to Dave i'll ask. Usually when we talk it's all about the numbers and design elements and aero...........I've forgot to ask him twice now..........I would imagin it's all cosmetic, I don't think there's any need for more side force on top if the scoop but at 200 mph you never know! It could help smooth air flow through the scoop? I'm just guessin

That's what I know

g

Wanted to post a few pictures of my friend Don's boat he is in the process of building and my boat that he is helping me build.

Don's boat in current state:

DonsHydro_zpsf792302e.jpg

DonsHydro2_zps7b7e9cda.jpg

(a bit fuzzy didn't appear that way on my phone to start with)

DonsHydro3_zps8ad3f5bc.jpg

My boat that he is helping me build

Cockpit_zps82b10071.jpg

mockcockpitandcentersection_zps1b98a9ea.jpg

P1000663_zps113c34a5.jpg

As they progress I am going to post more photos.

Final assembly tonight, clear shot last thursday, ready to test. Now just waiting on weather and soft water! yea right it's 8 deg. outside with snow............ugg

ready to test.JPG ready to test 2.JPGready to test 3.JPGready to test 4.JPG

Hey Greg,

Your Qatar came out Great !!! We have soft water here in Texas, bring the Qatar down and you and I can work out new Scale boats together.

Your glass video was very informative. I had never heard of starchless glass cloth, and had never thinned epoxy with an equal part of Denatured Alcohol. Guess I believed the West Systems site and being told not to thin it. Seeing your product, you can bet my next project will apply glass cloth your way. Sanding, glassing, sealing, priming and painting have never been my favorite evolutions.

I learned something from you - Thank You.

I'll look forward to not doing all the sanding I've been doing also - Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! Bob

Bob, don't know if you saw this or not, but this is out of the West Systems User Manual:

Thinning epoxy

There are epoxy-based products specifically designed to penetrate

and reinforce rotted wood. These products, basically an epoxy

thinned with solvents, do a good job of penetrating wood. But the

solvents compromise the strength and moisture barrier properties

of the epoxy.WEST SYSTEM epoxy can be thinned with solvents forgreater penetration, but not without the same compromise in

strength and moisture resistance. Acetone and lacquer thinner

have been used to thin WEST SYSTEM epoxy and duplicate these

penetrating epoxies with about the same effectiveness. If you

choose to thin the epoxy, keep in mind that the strength, especially

compressive strength, and moisture protection of the epoxy are lost

in proportion to the amount of solvent added.

That says, to me anyway, that thinning with equal parts epoxy and alcohol will reduce the durability of the epoxy coating by 50%. Would this reduction be offset by the paint and clear over the top? Since I've never tried coating with diluted epoxy, if someone could shed some light on this one, it would be greatly appreciated

Bob, don't know if you saw this or not, but this is out of the West Systems User Manual:

Thinning epoxy

There are epoxy-based products specifically designed to penetrate

and reinforce rotted wood. These products, basically an epoxy

thinned with solvents, do a good job of penetrating wood. But the

solvents compromise the strength and moisture barrier properties

of the epoxy.WEST SYSTEM epoxy can be thinned with solvents forgreater penetration, but not without the same compromise in

strength and moisture resistance. Acetone and lacquer thinner

have been used to thin WEST SYSTEM epoxy and duplicate these

penetrating epoxies with about the same effectiveness. If you

choose to thin the epoxy, keep in mind that the strength, especially

compressive strength, and moisture protection of the epoxy are lost

in proportion to the amount of solvent added.

That says, to me anyway, that thinning with equal parts epoxy and alcohol will reduce the durability of the epoxy coating by 50%. Would this reduction be offset by the paint and clear over the top? Since I've never tried coating with diluted epoxy, if someone could shed some light on this one, it would be greatly appreciated
Not sure I can be convincing enough but I've used my system for 25 years. built over 20 hydros and 8 scale hydros and have never experienced any durability or waterproof issues. I've never used west systems resin and they may be diffrent chemically but I will guarantee, you will use way more resin and corresponding sandpaper using their system than mine. it's up to you?

BTW the Miller boat you see in my signature is 5 years old, been raced hard, taken some hits and still going strong.............how durable does it need to be?

Greg, never said you had to convince me of anything. Your comments about not using West Systems and the possible chemical differences in the various brands of epoxies might be part of why you have had so much success. Either way, I'm not knocking the results as the Qatar came out fantastic.

Not being a painter, if the website is correct about some epoxies water resistance and/or strength being degraded due to thinning, could the paint and clear coat be a factor in how long a boat holds up? I need all the information and help I can get with a couple of boats just about to go to the paint shop

Back