Spy Shot: Chilli's new S Rigger

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chilli

Here's my big project for the winter. It's a custom built S Rigger built by George Anastasi of the Capitol RC Model Boat Club. Anyone who has seen George's boats knows he is a top notch builder and I was very lucky for him to offer to do this project for me. The boat is based on a 60/80 Roadrunner and the tub is about 38 inches long. George widened and increased the height of the tub, plus he moved the fore boom tube forward to allow a variety of battery and equipment configurations. As she sits I can fit two Thunderpower 4S 6600's, Hyperion 4S 5000's or Hyperion 5s 5000's side by side between the boom tubes. The motor sits aft with the Castle 200HV nestled in the middle allowing very short wire runs. I think this configurations will get the CG very close to the boats sweet spot plus wiring will be very short. But if it doesn't work out, I can move things around to get the set up right. Motor will be a 1527 1y (though I have room for a 1530). Some have suggested I run this motor on 7S and some 8S. I'm still on the fence as the no load rpm would be 37k on 8S and that's allot of rev's for a heat racer. The boat sports Speedmaster hardware and a Dick Tyndall turn fin. I'm getting her ready for paint but first I may add another piece of 1/4 ply and a sheet of G10 to the transom. I am also considering moving the rudder so it's is even with the side of the tub (it's currently about 1/4" inboard). I could use the extra room for the steering servo.

Any suggestions welcome.

S Rigger3.jpg

S Rigger2.jpg

S Rigger.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I'll paint it like the gas rigger. Klass Kote clear on the tub, yellow on the sponsons and hatches. The rear sponsons were off Georges old boat and he primered then.

Nice job on the system fit! Looks like it's gonna be a runner! (((((Meep- meep!!!)))))) ; )

Nice work Mike!!
default_cool.png

how can it be a spy shot mike? you supplied the pic lol....nice big rigger..bet its a handfull

I figured "Spy Shots" was a better title than Ugly arse pictures of half finished rigger. LOL Hopefully I can get her running right.

You in Florida for the winter or traveling?

tyler tx for another 3 mo or so....but will be in ft pearce for the spring race and going back to ms for the april race....you hit 56 yet? lol

stay thirsty my friend!!!!

Four more years!! You had to rum my nose in it. LOL Have fun in your travels. Hope you have some boats with you.

I have 3 hydros with me ..two ready to run one fixer upper....but temps are 30 for a high today noway do I hit the water till it gets to at least 50 lol...4 more years and they turn u out like old bath water....not even a id card lol....

Sorry I don't. This is probably a little too big for 6S. It's not too much smaller than my gas rigger. I was thinking of trying 10S with her
default_smile.png

Fun project Mike, keep us posted on how she runs.

Jeff,

If you plan on racing in NAMBA there is a 40" maximum hull length for Q hydro. For a single motor boat 38~40" is probably where you want to target.

Tyler

What Tyler said. 60 inch max for the IMPBA regardless of class. I'm think mid to upper 30's but what ever will get all your gear to fit inside the tub. Sponson width is also important to support all that weight.. Nitro conversions are tough because the decks on these boats are not tall enough to enclose all the electric gear. This boat started when my buddy gave me a 60/80 rigger he wanted me to convert to FE. He ended up building a new tub, two sets of sponsons and then spreading out the boom tubes further on the tub and sponsons before we got her set set up the way we wanted.

I am going to race in that class next season too, using your old 4s JAE to fill the class since it is an unlimited class in our district. You did a great job getting the numbers right on that boat so I feel like your new boat will be just as good and a lot faster since you are running twice as many batteries. LOL Twice the weight?

It will be fun.

John

Hey John!

I am planning on running in that class also...converting a never finished Avenger/ Spider -Avenger 20 rigger...hope to have a decent system in it. Should be fun finally running it...with FE POWER!!

-Kent

That would be great Kent! I still have that 4s Rico you sold me. I put a different mtr in it and put a flat pad on the keel. Havn't run it yet but should be fun too.

Back