Working on New Circus Parts

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike McKnight

I wasn't going to post this until I had started pulling parts. But a couple of guys encouraged me to to do this now. In finishing out a build I have been working on for some time, which I will post a separate build thread later, I embarked on something I had been talking about doing for some time. But until now I didn't have the skills to do. But after going to school on the art, and I will really call it that because it is, of making high quality molds I have moved forward with this. This is the first plug ready to mold for a whole new set of Circus/Miller parts.

This is the nose and cockpit for the 8401 Circus for 88 and 89. It has been wet sanded out and will be molded this weekend once the rest of my materials get here.

It is based off of old RC Sportscraft parts with some changes. The reason I started this project is because the original parts I had....had major flaws.

For instance the flare from one side to the other was not symmetrical and wouldn't fit and look right no matter what I did. It also would not fit the back half of the cowl right either. Which was another issue entirely. I have never been happy with a single Circus/Miller scoop I have owned or seen. And so it began. Well that was six years ago.

It will also have a matching back half. The sanding formers, especially for the scoop, were drawn from the contours from pictures of the actual boat. In the process of doing this I figured I would make one back half that would cover all Circus boats from late 80's. But, after closer inspection it would not work. There are some very distinct differences in shape and length of the scoop. So there will be a separate back half for the 89 Jones boat.

Plus there will also be a matching cockpit for the shorter nose as well. This was an early shot. it is already sanded out.

More pics to come after molds are done.....

Keep the posts coming Mike,I've been following since I just started back at my 1990 Miss Circus after 7 years now wow time flies.Shann
default_smile.png

Thanks Glenn. I'll have a separate build thread for this boat after I pull my first set of parts. I'm gonna get cowls on it and test. The PL in the background is gonna run in the mean time. Because as soon as I finish the other scoop and cowl it gets a rebuild.

Back