Repurposing A Nitro Tunnel

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerry Dunlap

Supporting Member
Although I'm retired and do have a considerable amount of "expendable time," this Stay Home-Stay Safe-The Park Where You Test Your Boats Is Closed" added even more "expendable time." So, like probably many other "IWers" I moved a project off the storage shelf and onto work table. About 7 or 8 years ago I build a 30" WOF tunnel for Hobart that I could run B Sport Tunnel, remove the O.S. and bolt a NR 21 to the O.S. lower unit, attach a different cowling that had additional weight in the nose, and race Open Tunnel. I managed to finish a couple of heats in B Sport. However, racing against 45 and 67 powered tunnels was very challenging. I think it was in Round 3 of Open Tunnel that the boat flipped on the backstretch, ended up 90 degrees to the race course, and was run over by Brian Schemick. In Brian's defense, the boat was impossible to see out on the backstretch. Brian is a doctor and I think he could have done surgery with the turn fin on his 45 tunnel. Inspecting the damage reveled a clean slice through the middle of the right side of the boat. Rather than attempt a race day repair, I put the boat on its stand.

A long time model boating friend, Kipp McKay, relocated last year from Eugene to Fremont. He gave me his electric outboard since he had burned up a charger and actually had a small fire in his garage shop. The WOF tunnel has an open center section so a radio/battery box fits easily into that area. Bolt the electric OB(2030 kv/4S) to the transom, hook up the steering linkages and the lead wires from the ESC, and it's RTR. The restrictions to using parks was removed today and I got in a quick test before the wind chopped up the water. The boat is at least as fast, maybe faster, than the nitro version. Voltage X kv = a whole lot more RPMs than the O.S. 21 can turn. Being able to plug in the battery to the ESC, tape the radio box hatch, attach the cowling, put the boat in the water, and give it some throttle is sure easier than the nitro version. And it's quiet. :)
JD

Attachments

• FE OB 1.jpg
    FE OB 1.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 97
  • FE OB 2.jpg
    FE OB 2.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 107
  • Fe OB 3.jpg
    Fe OB 3.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 107
Nice work Jerry!

Those motors love the 1715-17-45 prop...especially the Brian Buass version.

Glad to see a "new" build

Sounds like you‘re having fun with the new FE tunnel! Glad your test site opened up, hoping that will happen here soon in Des Moines, way too much time not being able to test some new things.

I happened to be coaching Brian in that heat, I wasn’t able to see the boat in time either, but my fault being his coach and second set of eyes :( I miss the Hobart races not being held anymore.

Sounds like you‘re having fun with the new FE tunnel! Glad your test site opened up, hoping that will happen here soon in Des Moines, way too much time not being able to test some new things.

I happened to be coaching Brian in that heat, I wasn’t able to see the boat in time either, but my fault being his coach and second set of eyes :( I miss the Hobart races not being held anymore.
I took advantage of a break from rain and wind this morning to do some testing. The boat is what I call sneaky fast because it is quiet. One of these days I will get an opportunity to run it when a 20 nitro tunnel is on the water.
JD

Hello Jerry,
How is your electric WOF tunnel doing. When you change a nitro tunnel to electric does the center of gravity change also.
Thanks
Chris
I haven't done any running with my FE tunnel lately. I never even thought to check to see if the CG was all that much different from the nitro setup. It ran fine with the placement of 4S battery in the radio box.

JD

Latest posts

Back