Sponson building.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry Keeley

Supporting Member
Have to build a new left sponson for my 40 boat due to a mishap last summer and thought I'd pass along a method Mike Hallam showed me some 35 years ago.

Block squared up and boom tube mounts drilled, I like 5lb Kledgecell (now Divincell H80), I make the width so it's easy later to measure and sand in the dihedral (see below). Divincell is available from Mark Bullard and Andy Brown.

001.JPG

Templates can be made of G10 fiberglass, plexiglass etc. Attack angle of 3* works well, I like a long flat planning surface (no "belly").

004.JPG

Mount the templates to the sides with double sided carpet tape, the fiber type seems to work best.

010.JPG

Cut off the excess with a bandsaw, hacksaw, knife, hot wire etc.

013.JPG

Sand to the templates.

016.JPG

Raise the outside back template to sand in the dihedral you want, I like 3*. The distance to move up is tan (dihedral angle) x the sponson width, these are 3.5" wide so tan 3* x 3.5 = 5/32".

019.JPG

By blending the dihedral into the front tips it handles heat racing water better I think.

021.JPG

024.JPG

I've used CA but find the skins can bubble so epoxy it is, I use West 105/206. I weigh each part and for small amounts 5g of resin & 1g of hardener works great.

027.JPG

The rear cap is the first to be glued in place. I use 1/32" all around except 1/64" for the bottom and outside.

032.JPG

Last edited:
I have to wonder how urethane adhesives would work on this. I use them on foam core wings and the like.. (the old Villian S1 used urethane)

When I designed the Pea-Shooter I did a full laser cut wood sponson/parts.. VERY untraditional.. But.. so far.. I like that best.

CAN NOT get the tubes in wrong.. and with the design have full control of the epoxy to glue them in.. (some day I will have to show some of that)

Grim

I think he was thinking deadrise.. Me.. I like progressive dead rise.. so a saw cut wont get it.. (one could wire cut that however)

I make the tubes with a stop in the middle and a hole for a 4-40 SHCS, glue an insert into the carbon booms and fasten them from the outside. In the past I've just used brass tubing with brass stop soldered in or you could probably glue a stop in place.

To get the chine angles I just take the side profile templates and use them to sand the foam to shape.

001.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

013.JPG

015.JPG

I've been using Kledgecel for about 40 years and was told by the Mfr that you SHOULD NOT hot wire it as it gives off cyanide gas. Don't know about Divinicel as I still have a large quantity of the other left.

Terry, what tool are you using to get such a clean boom tube hole in the angled sponson side? I assume you are drilling through from the inboard side, but then how are you preventing blowout on the outboard side?

Terry, what tool are you using to get such a clean boom tube hole in the angled sponson side? I assume you are drilling through from the inboard side, but then how are you preventing blowout on the outboard side?

They're called "flat drills", I got the OSG brand. Not cheap but I was making a lot of SAW sponsons and it was worth my time. I drill in from both ends to leave a 1/8" stop in the middle.

An end mill didn't make a good hole and boring on the lathe was tedious. As mentioned I usta solder a brass plug into K&S tubing but that's tricky and I had one come loose once.

Tubes are sanded to the angle with the foam.

Last edited:
They're called "flat drills", I got the OSG brand. Not cheap but I was making a lot of SAW sponsons and it was worth my time. I drill in from both ends to leave a 1/8" stop in the middle.

An end mill didn't make a good hole and boring on the lathe was tedious. As mentioned I usta solder in a brass plug into K&S tubing but that's tricky and I had one come loose once.

Tubes are sanded to the angle with the foam.

My friend Terry’s building technique is excellent and ver similar to the way I build sponsons and tubes.

I would like to add how I do the pegs in sponsons.

If you ever tried to remove a fence post from the ground, if you start wiggling it back and forth before long you can pull it right out of the ground IE sponson pegs pulling out.

So several years ago I decided to drill all the way through the sponson. Put a carbon fiber tube in the hole in the sponsonand then I run a CF tube or rod that extends all the way through the peg tube through the outer plate.

Thus the boom tube is locked into the sponson by the inner and outer plates of the sponson.

Carbonfibertubeshop has excellent CF tubes and you can get sanded tubes so they easily slide into each other.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.jpeg
    IMG_1247.jpeg
    4.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0362.jpeg
    IMG_0362.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0356.jpeg
    IMG_0356.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3426.jpeg
    IMG_3426.jpeg