Silent Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP. Jim
default_sad.png

I met Jim in Celina in the late 90's. Great guy and contributed a lot to the hobby. He developed a great nitro and muffled pipe.

RIP Jim.

Bert and Jackie Dygert

I considered Jim one of my really good friends. Had the pleasure of spending 10 days with him in Elmira, NY Internats. What an innovator and just really nice guy. Jim has been in a "life fight" for several years. We sure will miss him.

Marty Davis

Jason and I have very fond memories of Jim. He was a great man and true innovator. You will be missed my friend. Rest in Peace......

Rest in Peace Jim He made invent " Irwin Pipe and glow box "
Allan, the glow ignitor boxes were designed and built by Ric Carpenter and had Jim selling them for him. Unfortunately Ric passed away at a very young age a good 5 or more years ago.

Jim sent me pipes for Christmas presents for years. My buddy Mike Rushing ran Jim's Rap-Around pipe design on every 3.5cc tunnel boat he ever had. I just came in from my shop and passed a box that is probably a foot deep with Jim Irwin's pipes. Jim liked to laugh a lot. When he was at a race he was having a blast. Jim will be missed.

-Carl

Guess it was at Walterboro for the first tunnel champ 2005, he was bubbly, riding around on his scooter, right in the middle of everything,passing out fuel hopper tanks. You were there Van, with the Mikes.

We have another innovator of hardware watching over us.

May peace be yours forever.

RP

This is so sad to hear of Jim Irwin's passing. What a great person he was that gave so much to our hobby. Jim and I tried for a number of years to get a pond for running boats dug on the AMA property in Muncie, Indiana. He had a friend who was going to dig a pond for NO COST TO ANYONE. AMA jerked Jim around until we just gave up. He worked really hard to try to get that done. The quiet pipes he made were such a big advancement to our hobby. They were the beginning of quieting the boats down without losing speed or performance. He sent me one of his quiet pipes ( for free ) to try on my B mono. I picked up 5 MPH and won 2 US-1's, 2 District 12 Championships and many, many other races over a period of 17 years. I will race this same boat at the Nitro Nats in Evansville, IN. this June in honor of my dear friend, Jim Irwin.

Last time I saw Jim was in Dayton, Ohio in 2005 at the APBA Stock Outboard Nationals. He drove out to see me and my C Stock hydro race that week. I had a friend driving the boat that week that had much more experience than me. It was so good to be able to sit down and talk to Jim and catch up on things. I remember him saying that his health was not doing so well and probably was not going to get better. I know that he is at peace now and that he is not suffering with the things that slowed him down over the past few years. I will remember his smiling face and that sly laugh that he always had. I am also pleased that he made the IMPBA Hall of Fame while he was still with us as he should have.

Remember Jim at the races this year. If you didn't know him, just ask some of us older guys about him. We have a lot of stories to tell about him and who he was and what he did for our hobby.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to Jim's family and friends.

Dick Tyndall

The memorys of Jim will last me a lifetime , He was a awsum friend always with a smile and work of encoragement , Jim often joked with me and my Wife Lorri and often took the edge off of the presher . My Wife often laughed with Jim when he came to the house and shop when he decided to just stop by . Lorri and I both cried this morning when I got the new's this morning , All we could due was to Pray and thank God for the times we had together { MR Jim I am sure you have gone to stay in Heaven you affected so many } Save a place for me buddy ..........

i.m.p.b.a. 459 .

Jim was one of the best supporters of all our hobby. always ready to help, offer advice, pass out freebies. .he will truly be missed. loved to see the kids race. Jim was never really concerned about winning, just having a good time. to say he will be missed is an understatement.

rest in peace my friend

dan

Dan

One of the memorys that I will never forget was the fact that

Mr Jim Irwin would never accept a first place trophy ,

I asked him once , His answer was all class > I want to see all my freinds win !

What he didnt realize he was the winner I admired .............

Rick Reisinger

Latest posts

Back