Silent Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike McKnight

NAMBA District 9 has lost another member. My father Gene McKnight passed away yesterday afternoon at the age of 88 due to lung cancer. Even though his health had diminished quite a bit he still went with me to the last race just a few weeks ago. Even though he spent the weekend in the RV watching TV on the dish because of the rain he still wanted to go. In fact I know he would have been pissed at me if I had gone without him.

In 2007 he and my son had unique distinctions. My son became the youngest NAMBA Nationals Champion at age 11 and Dad was the oldest competitor at age 83 running his B Stock Tunnel. He ran that boat for a couple years before we had to retire it after some battle damage. He also served as the District Treasurer from 2005-2007. Some of our members still addressed him by his first name but over the years a lot of folks just called him Dad. Unfortunately some of those people are now gone too.

I still have his outboard engine and it is now on a hull that belonged to Bob Rendon. Bob was also another beloved member of D9 that is remembered by his artistic paint jobs. Bob's wife was delighted to know that Bob and Dad still get to race together even if it's on the same boat now.

Rest peacefully Dad, you've more than earned it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mike, I lost my father last May due to Cancer. Even thought it hurts that I couldn't get him to 1 last regatta to watch, I will always remember he & I running up & down the highways going to our next race. Great memories to be cherished by Fathers & sons alike.

My condolences my friend.

Jim

May your Dad rest in peace, Mike. His great relationship with you and his grandson will leave him very little to regret. If we all live on in our children's memory, he will shine on brightly in you and your son. Sorry for you loss, glad he didn't suffer a long and painful end. Having you around at the end, I'm sure, brought him great comfort, though it couldn't have been easy for you.

Condolences Rudy

Mike you have my deepest condolences, I know what you are dealing with as I am still feeling the effects of losing my dad to cancer in 2010. The up side is the pain and suffering for him is over and in part for you and family as well, I know when my dad passed there was almost a sense of relief as watching the cancer take him tore my heart out. Stand tall my friend as I know you did your dad proud and were with him to the end as any good son would be.

very sorry to hear this,,, tough times no matter what... just keep remembering the good times... thoughts and prayers go out to your family....

alden

Verry sad to here Mike , I know how close you and Pop's were , Your memory's will last foever and the pain will fade over years but it will fade. REST IN PEACE POP'S

Sorry for your loss Mike.

We'll never stop missing our Dads......R.I.P.
Prayers,

The Brandon family

Mike,

to this day I never knew your fathers first name. I always called him Mr. McKnight. Maybe it was a respect thing that my dad taught me at an early age. Whenever I would walk by your pits whether you were there wrenching or racing in a heat, he would always say hi and have a few words on how things were going in the McKnight camp. I will definitely miss your father at the races.

Al Waters

Sorry for your loss Mike. Dads a tough one too loose, like the others that have been there have said, keep your head up and remember the good times.

Thats what he would have wanted, use the pond as a place to reflect with him, as you guys shared that- helps me a BUNCH.

Andy

You have my condolences as well Mike. Losing someone to something like cancer definately leaves a void in the lives of everyone that knew them. As several have already said, keep your head up and remember the good times.

Mike,

So sorry to hear about the passing of your father. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Latest posts

Back