Silent Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marty Davis

I am sorry to report that Glenn Cupit died yesterday after a long illness. Most of you won't know Glenn but here are some things about him that are noteworthy.

Glenn was a very active boater in the 70's and 80's living in the Louisiana Area (Baton Rouge and North New Orleans). Glenn was an innovator and produced technical papers to help people learn our hobby. He had one of the very first full service hobby shops in the early days.

I once saw Glenn race a "run off" for US#1 in Chicago against one of the first outriggers. He was running one of Ed Hughey's round nose boats. He got the start and ran 6 of the most perfect laps I have ever seen driven and won the race. His competition had probably 10 mph speed on him but couldn't pass.

Glenn stopped boating in the late 80's and started helping out with one of the best 7 liter hydros of all times (Shazam). He was crew chief on that boat with John Prevost driving. I was contacted by Glenn to help some with design work and renewed our long friendship. Glenn had a great family that were supportive of his hobbies and activities.

Glen was one of the most technical boaters of all time and really understood how hydros worked. Beyond that you could ask him a question about almost any model boat and he would give you a really studied answer to your question.

Glenn was one of the "finest model boaters and a really good guy" He will be missed by the "old timers".

Maybe sometime in the future you will see him in the IMPBA Hall of Fame. He deserves it greatly.....

I don't have any of the funeral arrangements at this point.

Marty Davis

Wow, a friend of mine sold him a few model boat things last summer, Glen was living in Arkansas or Kansas and was in the process of moving to Alaska to be closer to his family. He hosted the "Southern Gentlemens" regetta in the early days. A really fine gentlemen he was to.

John

Sad news! I used to read articles written by Glen in the 70's. I had the opportunity meet Glen in 1989 and he took the time to show me the unlimited hull he was working at the time.

Very sad news. I also remember Glen and his innovations. He showed me the first 3rd channel needle that I'd ever seen. It looked like the workings of a watch, with many gears, on the side of the carb.

RIP

Steve Ball

Its sad to hear about Glen I remember reading about him . Maybe some of you old timers can help the newer rc boaters were they could find his boat articles so they could expand there knowledge on many aspects of rc boating. Did he write articles for IMPBA,NAMBA,FLYING MODELS and MODEL AIRPLANE NEWS {MAN}? There was't much in the early days?----DAN----

We had the pleasure of have Glenn hang out with us at one of the last Southern Gentlemen races. We talk a lot about boats and he was a great guy to talk to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very sad to hear!!!

I remember Glenn even from my big boat racing not only the toy boats. He and my Dad would just pick a topic and argue it apart but always come up with ONE SOLUTION!! It was really funny when we pitted next to each other..Yes Glenn will truly be missed!!

Later!!

Pat

I recall when the Souther Gentlemen brought Gumbo up to one of the first INDY Unlimiteds in the 70's at the Just Add Water pond. Seeing all those mudbug eyes floating made my mom turn ill...I laughed.

That whole gang were like an extension of our INDY club. RIP Mr. Glenn and condolences to Conrad and family.

MG

Latest posts

Back