Scratch outrigger build.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry,

Very nice job on your project.

I just finished another carbon 45 hull 32" it's 15 oz. with cowl. I do have the strut and rudder mount included as it is part of the hull.

I think your efforts are paying off to keep it light and strong.

Mike

I just wanted to say you do beautiful work, I wish someday to be able to build as detailed as you are. How much diffrence is there building with the carbon rather than wood? Is it that much lighter/stronger? I notice you did alot of like vacum molding, did you have to make all the molds. Since the boat is made of the carbon you wont paint to show off the sheeting correct? How is everything done so perfect ya know wood you can fill and paint to give the illusion of perfect :) Well I cant wait to see the final product, looks awsome so far will prob be just a piece of art when done :)

Thanks Paul

Paul,

You should see Terry's 45 and 67/80 boats. They are very cool. Vacuum formed CF over a foam plug. There isn't a flat surface on the entire tub except the transom. They look like submarines, only faster........... There are some pictures of them in his other galleries.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Thanks again guys for the nice comments. :)

Ya Paul, building with carbon is not any harder than wood, just different. I think the end result is a stronger hull that lasts. In the past just when I was getting a wood hull working right it'd be getting heavy from all the oil soaking in. My two heat boats that Brad mentioned are going into their 9th season next year and are as light as when they were new. Yes, made the molds for the cowls, lots of info around how to do it, that's how I got into the bagging stuff initially.

I like trying different things, sometimes it even works out! :lol:

Thanks again guys for the nice comments. :)
Ya Paul, building with carbon is not any harder than wood, just different. I think the end result is a stronger hull that lasts. In the past just when I was getting a wood hull working right it'd be getting heavy from all the oil soaking in. My two heat boats that Brad mentioned are going into their 9th season next year and are as light as when they were new. Yes, made the molds for the cowls, lots of info around how to do it, that's how I got into the bagging stuff initially.

I like trying different things, sometimes it even works out! :lol:
Terry,

Your boats look superb. Great work.

Jim Vota

Hi ya'll well I guess for my first ever scratch built outrigger it isn't turning out to bad so I figured that I'd let you see what progress I have made to it so far. I know that it will never be like Terry's boat made from CF, but wood is the best I can do for now. I tried to keep the tub weight down but 2 pounds not bad with motor mount and shafting installed.

Well here goes I hope I can post the pic's since it is my first time.

rigger_pic_1.jpg

rigger_pic_2.jpg

rigger_pic_3.jpg

rigger_pic_4.jpg

rigger_pic_5.jpg

rigger_pic_6.jpg

rigger_pic_7.jpg

rigger_pic_8.jpg

rigger_pic_9.jpg

Well Terry your building is one of those things you just go "WoW !!! Now that is really sweet"

Rcboatmaniac your build looks really good too, more of a boat I hope to be able to build :)

Merry Christmas !!!!

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Terry your building is one of those things you just go "WoW !!! Now that is really sweet"

Rcboatmaniac your build looks really good too, more of a boat I hope to be able to build :)

Merry Christmas !!!!

Paul
The funny part the cowling almost didn't come into existance it took about 3 trys to get the angles right for the front of it, I was also trying to get it high enough so I wouldn't have to cut a hole in the top of it for engine clearance, but there will be only be about an 1/8 of an inch of the head sticking out which is cool. All there is left is a few little details and it will be ready for paint.

Nice work Dave, see you don't have to spend big $$$ to have fun with toy boats! :)

Thanks Terry, not to bad for the first scratch built rigger when all I had to go by was the pic's I got off Ebay from a rigger a guy was selling. The following pic's was all I had to go by.

Avenger_3.5cc_Outrigger_1.jpg

Avenger_3.5cc_Outrigger_2.jpg

Avenger_3.5cc_Outrigger_3.jpg

Wow

That is some beautiful workmanship....

I love to see someone that cares about every little detail.

Awesome.....

Joe Scarpino

Hey Terry well I have my 90 size rigger moving along pretty well if interested you can find it under Scratch build 90 size Outrigger. Trying to get it caught up to my 21 size rigger. Well now for Nothern New York good ole mother nature has definetly said that boating season is officially closed until April now since we just got dumped on here a couple of days ago with about 10 inches of snow. Once I can get some more work done I'll give an update on the progress. see ya Dave

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back