SAW tunnel record team effort

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Greg, try to find a Hydro and Marine tunnel. They are made in Germany. Don't know if they are still being made at this time. A friend has one and I hate it! LOL. At one race when white caps were rolling, he was the only 3.5 that made it past turn 4 after launched. The boat wasn't phased at all while all others bounced or submarined. I was happy to hear that he decided to retire the boat!

As for Speedweek, it's been nothing but wind since I arrived Monday afternoon. Today is another 10-20 mph winds.

Greg, try to find a Hydro and Marine tunnel. They are made in Germany. Don't know if they are still being made at this time. A friend has one and I hate it! LOL. At one race when white caps were rolling, he was the only 3.5 that made it past turn 4 after launched. The boat wasn't phased at all while all others bounced or submarined. I was happy to hear that he decided to retire the boat!

As for Speedweek, it's been nothing but wind since I arrived Monday afternoon. Today is another 10-20 mph winds.
Mark,

Do you have any pictures of what that tunnel looked like? I think I have seen a pic of it somewhere, (IW or facebook). Thanks.

The H&M is the one on the right. It's the only pic Jul has of the Space Shuttle boat. They may have redesigned the boat. It doesn't look quite like the link Ron has. Don't recall the lip in the boat nor the cowl. I couldn't find a good pic of it last night searching the web.

957E7D13-DC08-4EE0-9FAC-B4F3339CFB53_zpsxwavaute.jpg

It's supposed to warm up tomorrow (please!) and the wind is 5-10. Should be able to get runs in then.

Last edited by a moderator:
Manuel is correct, that is the boat. Jul ran the XM v1 both stock and mod on the boat. Didn't matter, boat glided over any waves. It's worth checking into this boat if your races are generally windy conditions.

The H&M is the one on the right. It's the only pic Jul has of the Space Shuttle boat. They may have redesigned the boat. It doesn't look quite like the link Ron has. Don't recall the lip in the boat nor the cowl. I couldn't find a good pic of it last night searching the web.
957E7D13-DC08-4EE0-9FAC-B4F3339CFB53_zpsxwavaute.jpg

It's supposed to warm up tomorrow (please!) and the wind is 5-10. Should be able to get runs in then.
The weather channel says freezing or slightly below down there for tomorrow AM, Mark. You want it to warm up??? How cold has it been? I used to live in Tallahassee, not that far away, freezing IS cold for down there!

Very cool design guys. I have not seen that particular tunnel ever. Thanks to everyone for sharing the links and details.

Robin,

The high has been in the 40"s the past two days. Monday was warmer but still windy. Tomorrow morning temp is low but will pick up towards noon, high is to be in the 60"s. It's far better than Cincy"s mid 20"s and snow!!

I'm jealous, 20° here now, high of 34° - low tonight 12°. Sure hope the wind lays down for you guys.

Neither the LeeCraft XT-460 or the ProGlass could handle the speed potential of the K&B .67, Equi pipe, Andy Brown prop combination, Anyone know of a tunnel hull that can handle this combo, plus stay on the water at 70+Mph

Our Visions have run near 70 and could go faster. In FE we hold the S record at 69 with one. We had the Q record at 74 with a Warhead. Mike Luscz bested that averaging 78 with his hull. The boats are there to go 70+. 80 is another world. My opinion is your working with way too much diameter. Andy does great prop work but these are not hydros. To get near 70 every tunnel is going through a sort of transition speed where it handles like crap till it lays down and settles into speed. Diameter is your enemy there. One your over the hump you need pitch to hook up. Some of the new 17 degree rake ABC's with smaller blade ratios and higher pitch ratios are the way to go IMO. Revs trump torque and that is done with pipe choices.

Mic

Mic,

You are correct.

Jim just does not have enough of them done yet in all sizes.

The Game Changers are going to continue to set records with:

17,19,21,23, & 29 degree rakes. The real boats are doing it, so

why not us? More rake angle is allowing larger pitch ratios to give

us the numbers we need to go faster. Look at what Glenn Quarles

just did with a 12-motor?

Thanks For Reading,

Mark Sholund

Neither the LeeCraft XT-460 or the ProGlass could handle the speed potential of the K&B .67, Equi pipe, Andy Brown prop combination, Anyone know of a tunnel hull that can handle this combo, plus stay on the water at 70+Mph
I put my k&b 67 lawless set up on my ml370. The boat was fast but slightly flighty .im currently building a pti nx400 to handle the motor .im purposely building it heavy but still in process and will be awhile before testing .I'm sure im not putting the power out that you are but i will im no Newby to making power

20160202_211349.jpg

20160126_132414.jpg

20150930_193438.jpg

I have not tried a Vision yet. The prop is smaller in diameter than the heat racing props I use. Mark, you remember the SAW props you made for me? I ran an OPS .80 outboard on Tommy Lees 30" SAW tunnel. I am building a 40" boat, just for the motor

Bob-just because you cannot keep the boat on the water does not mean you are over-powering the boat. Your set-up could be off and you are probably using the wrong prop. However, that boat was not designed to go 70. It might work with the right set-up and prop and a lot of testing-who knows? You need the correct boat. Look at the records-I averaged 73.9 way back in 99 and the boat was rock solid and the motor was just cruising (1st. run on a new motor). That boat will probably go 80 but I hear you no longer have that boat so that is on you.

Bob, The FE version of my 40" boat did a combined 78.43mph, and one way of 79.5mph..rock solid. Paul Renna, who now has the lineup, can sell you an NX400, 40" version of the FE boat I set the record with. The only thing holding us back from over 80mph that day, was daylight ran out, and not enough battery to handle 3 passes to get it done. This 40" tunnel was spot on rock solid, even through the transition period, which as Mic said, has plagued us time and time again with other hulls. The boat has been there and done that, and would be a great choice for what you are looking to do. Give Paul a ring..If you need his number, PM me. I will put in a good word for you....Just make sure you have a truly flat building surface...Granite is all I use as it is the only thing I have trusted for the last few years to get it right, and at those speeds...it has to be square or it will not make it through the transition speed portion of the run.

Mike

Latest posts

Back