SAW tunnel record team effort

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gene,

There is a reason there is an FE class and a nitto class. Tommy set his nitro records 20 years ago with K&B's and most still stand today. Now thats an accomplishment. These FE records fall like rain at just about every SAW event. Thats what Bob is trying to say.
You need to take a closer look at the record books, only a few of Tommy's records remain intact. Some of the tunnel records that he set, which BTW were absolutely stellar at the time, are classes that are now dead or slowly dying. When was the last time you saw a full heat of E or F o/b tunnels at a race?? Even D o/b tunnel rarely makes anymore, the participation numbers are just not there like they used to be which directly impacts record trials as well. Tommy was THE MAN (and a hell of a nice guy too) back when he was tearing up the record books but all of the smaller and more popular o/b classes have seen those records fall numerous times over.

And as FE being easier...............

I do find it interesting that these comments typically come from people who do not run FE. Setting records REGARDLESS of powerplant takes the same amount of time, effort and dedication to the task at hand. And also with FE the challenge is often greater as you have little to no margin for error, once you let the magic smoke out it's time to start over, there is no safety fuse like a glow plug. Those FE records that supposedly "fall like rain" are often somewhat weaker to start with as the FE technology has advanced dramatically in recent years, enough so that is sucked me into running FE as well as nitro. The comments about just "throwing money" at FE to set records are way off base.

Enough of that.

Good luck with the "group effort", it's always good to pool resources together to overcome obstacles.
default_wink.png

Don.

You need to come to the WTC sometime. Tunnels are still strong at certain areas of the country. At the WTC every year, there are 25 or so tunnels in most of the classes. Its kind of like all of the other classes. There are certain pockets where there are many, and areas where there are few, but tunnels are far from dead. I had the pleasure of racing against Tommy for years before I exited the hobby for a while. Yes, he was THE MAN for sure. Again, a testament is his records. 20 years later, many have tried but failed, some have succeeded. There is no comparison between nitro and FE, that was my point. A record set in FE has nothing to do with what was done with nitro, and whats done in nitro has nothing to do with FE. Take a nitro tunnel and go 75mph and you will have something to talk about. I for one have had little experience with FE, and I am still learning. I understand some of what Bob may have been trying to say, the rest not so much. Heck, none of this stuff is easy. Thats why this hobby attracts so many of us.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yup its all cool don't matter to me what powerhead ya run
default_wink.png

I'll echo Don, good luck guy's hope ya knock em down,

Gene

Like to see that drawing with some new ideas......

Regardless of the power system I am happy to a resurgence in record trails and guys trying new ideas. Just from my perspective records trials were huge 10 years ago and many competitive records were set in nitro and electric. Gas came on the scene and brought some new boaters into the fold and finally today we have some contenders in all power categories and even internationally.

It took me 3 years to break Joerg's 140mph record and just this last weekend Arne from team JAG's (Joerg, Arne and Gunnar) smashed by record by 5 mph. I am thrilled they did it and now I have to step it up once more and try and get it back. Competition breeds new ideas and technologies.

So who is going to build the first 80, 90 and 100mph tunnels.

GO!

My suggestion would be borrow technology from nascar .the roof vents they use to prevent blow overs in the deck to relieve pressure .blowing over is the biggest limit to overcome i would think

As soon as Tommy and I (and a few others) decide on s few things, you will get a copy

Yup its all cool don't matter to me what powerhead ya run
default_wink.png

I'll echo Don, good luck guy's hope ya knock em down,

Gene

Like to see that drawing with some new ideas......

Tunnels get their speed from lift inherent in the design. It is a delicate balance to "fly low" over the water and not blow off. Just adding mega downforce to glue the boat on adds pressure equivalent to weight. Not what you want. Small changes in design can help and or adding some external airfoils. This is what makes tunnel racing fun. It is a driver and setup combination. You have to read the water and know your hull. We have the power IC or FE we just need the hull design to advance and that's what this thread is all about. I would recommend pushing new designs with FE first to find out what the hull will do. You will find the weaknesses a lot quicker.

Mic

Well said Mic. You run nitro and FE, so I think you would be a good source for comparative info showing the similarities and differences between the two power divisions. Maybe Jay would like to be one of the drivers. Any input you might like to offer will be more than welcome.

When i read this ,i just wondering how you do . Have a look at some saw contest . The F1 tunneldesign plays a not here rule . The fastes tunnels are the offshoretunnels with twin innbord motors . If you want to set a new record take one of this boats remove the upper deck part and applay a F1 tunneldesign deck and ad a outbordmotor . Set c.g. As the offshore guys do and start . This offshoretunnels run up to 215 km/h that are over 130 mph with no flip . So this is the design to go for a saw record , small narrow tunnel . Aske HPR for a boat .

Andy sure knows his stuff when it comes to props...you can bet it works when you buy from the best

When i read this ,i just wondering how you do . Have a look at some saw contest . The F1 tunneldesign plays a not here rule . The fastes tunnels are the offshoretunnels with twin innbord motors . If you want to set a new record take one of this boats remove the upper deck part and applay a F1 tunneldesign deck and ad a outbordmotor . Set c.g. As the offshore guys do and start . This offshoretunnels run up to 215 km/h that are over 130 mph with no flip . So this is the design to go for a saw record , small narrow tunnel . Aske HPR for a boat .
The offshore cats have power plants that produce several thousand horsepower. That is where their speed comes from. Radio controlled gas cats are the same in many ways. Horsepower =Speed. One little note, gas cats have a multi-angle chine with a flat running surface, Tommy Lee's .21 SAW tunnel also has a flat running surface.

Hi Bob ,

yes right ,thousandnhorses ,but you can do many horses if you go electric . With current batteries on 1p you can suck up to 300 amps with 2P there are 600 amps .4S say up to about 10 horses or 8 kw . The thing is that this boats are realy light when on speed .

What do you want ? A tunnel to ride at a pond around the ducks or a SAW speedmaschine .

OK it's difficult with an ic motor as the power with them is limited .

I don't know the rules exact . Is it alowed to ad a single ski in the middle of the tunnel ? Such a ski can easy adjust in high and angle of attace to trim the riding angle .Also you can set shock absorber to the ski to let the tunnel ride smoth if it hit a wave or turtle .

The center ski is an interesting concept. As for the power of a fast electric, we all have our own opinion of what it takes to go fast. I already expressed my views about FE boats

The center ski is an interesting concept. As for the power of a fast electric, we all have our own opinion of what it takes to go fast. I already expressed my views about FE boats

Wouldnt a center ski essentially make it a Mod VP ?

Back