Run in stand/dyno build.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry,
Top fuel Engines need a Top fuel Clutch!

Yes a short piece of flex cable from the engine. In case of sudden failure i had a 3mm shear pin that drove the flywheel.

Sorry no Pictures!, Wish i did have some.

We ran a standard RC car Zenoah clutch, a Lovejoy coupling and a sqauare key into the engine. You needed the hardest element in the coupling, the square inserts wore, and we made a billet clutch arm after the stock one broke. We did get rpm fluctuations over 18,000 rpm, but we blamed the rpm pickup. All the larger inertial dynos use a sprag clutch from a farm tractor PTO. We felt that the centrifugal clutch release combined with the key was good enough. That was tested when an engine seized. The engine was toast, but there was no other damage.

Lohring Miller

Next!

full

full

full

Terry, where do I get one of those grinders from? I have been looking for exactly that setup

Got it late 90's when I re-chromed some liners, sadly they don't make them anymore.

My buddy Rudy made the cast iron base so it can be mounted on an angle to grind a taper, we also used a precision lead screw so it can feed in tenths.

You might look for a used one, it's an NSK (Nakanishi) Falcon G-1, they also made a bigger G-2.

edit: Just googled it for fun and this came up. NSK Nakanishi Falcon G-2 Automatic Reciprocating Grinding System Auction (0056-5041313) | Grays Australia

I'd hate to tell you what I payed for it 25 years ago...

Last edited:
Got it late 90's when I re-chromed some liners, sadly they don't make them anymore.

My buddy Rudy made the cast iron base so it can be mounted on an angle to grind a taper, we also used a precision lead screw so it can feed in tenths.

You might look for a used one, it's an NSK (Nakanishi) Falcon G-1, they also made a bigger G-2.

edit: Just googled it for fun and this came up. NSK Nakanishi Falcon G-2 Automatic Reciprocating Grinding System Auction (0056-5041313) | Grays Australia

I'd hate to tell you what I payed for it 25 years ago...
Thanks Terry, It's a nice setup. shame I missed that one to be honest.

I may just get a separate ID/OD cylinder grinder as then I will not have to adapt the lathe.

Anyone need an INA needle clutch bearing? Cheap?

Used only once for a minute or so. :rolleyes:

It may be time to look at making some kind of mechanical locking clutch. Have you seen how RC car 2 transmission work? they have a spring-tensioned swing-out lever that locks against a pin. you can adjust the spring tension to come out at low speed and once it's engaged it mechanically locked

Also, I found this picture of a high-end bicycle mechanism that looked interesting and works in the same principle as the RC car 2 speed transmission

IMG_6659.PNG

It may be time to look at making some kind of mechanical locking clutch. Have you seen how RC car 2 transmission work? they have a spring-tensioned swing-out lever that locks against a pin. you can adjust the spring tension to come out at low speed and once it's engaged it mechanically locked

Also, I found this picture of a high-end bicycle mechanism that looked interesting and works in the same principle as the RC car 2 speed transmission

View attachment 289849

Great minds think alike!

I was Googling around looking at full size "mechanical diodes" and came across "freewheels" for bikes.

Which one is that? I was looking at White units: freewheel conversion — White Industries

Also "front freewheels" made for two stroke and ebike conversions: Front Freewheel - Ultra Heavy Duty

I'm fitting one of Dave Marles rubber couplings and will try that first, then it'll be one of these.

Terry,

As we used to say when I was a "guard dad" for my daughter's competitive color guard group....

"Leave a little glitter everywhere you go."

Chips gotta go somewhere. :cool:

Thanks. Brad.
Titan Racing Components
BlackJack Hydros
Model Machine and Precision LLC

Back