Rules:IMPBA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chuck Hildreth

I was just think after hearing people complain to me and my dad about this time after time race after race, that I think this rule should be changed. I am not saying that a coach should be able to take the radio and drive for the driver, I am just saying that a coach should be able to make ajustments such as trim and third channel during heat racing. I think it would make racing better so that a driver doesnt distract themselves by worrying about finding the buttons. I really dont know the consequence of breaking this rule(since its broken all the time, myself included, and nothings done except people complain if they are beat by the person who had ajustments done for them) and I also dont see the reason to have this rule considering if the rule didnt exsist then no one would have an advantage, plus racing might be a little cleaner. What do you guys think? :huh:

The rule you are talking about applys in NAMBA which is a good rule you have kids starting up ladies people that have never touched a radio you are able to adjust things on the boat not drive but help good rule i think.

chuck,

i beleive the hole reason for the rule is so that if by some instance someone was TWEAKING on the radio while the other person is driving and happened to say bump it or for some reason dislog it from the drivers hand it could get ugly in a hurry.

chris

Last edited by a moderator:
chuck,

i beleive the hole reason for the rule is so that if by some instance someone was TWEAKING on the radio while the other person is driving and happened to say bump it or for some reason dislog it from the drivers hand it could get ugly in a hurry.

chris
You can discuss this here but you cant change the rule here. Submit a rule change in writing to your district director.I think in instances like RTR or beginners it should be allowed to a point but not for veterans like yourself. If its too hard to change mixture move it to another button.

I completely against someone other than the driver being able to make an adjustment to the transmitter while the boat is in the water....I think its a bad idea and would love for there to be a clear rule in IMPBA that would put an end to this subject without any grey areas. If your going to race, the driver is the only one who should be sending a signal to a raceboat. I see it happen all the time and to be honest, it drives me nuts. This is just my opinion and it will not change.

Larry Gempp Jr.

Okay, so let me ask this. Are you able to launch your own boat and let your pit guy control your radio until you get to the drivers stand provided there is enough time on the clock.Obviously, you would have to feel confident in your pit guy to do this. The only reason I ask is because several times this year, I have had boats launched sideways, nose down and even submarined. I have scrambled to get the boat started again only to have it a second time. It's not the boat, it runs great and I hate to complain when someone has offered to help me out but I would rather get beat in a race by a better boat, better driver or even my own mistakes but at least I had a chance. If I can not even get launched, (and I can't control that) I did not even get a chance to compete. That is frustrating and when I travel eight hours in some cases, it's a real bummer. :( Thoughts? :blink:

I agree

When my girlfried "which is a novice" is driving Her boat at any event I do not touch the radio. I feel it is not fair to other competitors, and as her pitman I should have everything in order before she heat races, If the boat needs adj I run it myself to get the trim /needle right in open water,after that its on her!!. If the needle needs changing she better learn how " tough love if you will"

Tim

I completely against someone other than the driver being able to make an adjustment to the transmitter while the boat is in the water....I think its a bad idea and would love for there to be a clear rule in IMPBA that would put an end to this subject without any grey areas. If your going to race, the driver is the only one who should be sending a signal to a raceboat. I see it happen all the time and to be honest, it drives me nuts. This is just my opinion and it will not change.

Larry Gempp Jr.

Okay, so let me ask this. Are you able to launch your own boat and let your pit guy control your radio until you get to the drivers stand provided there is enough time on the clock.Obviously, you would have to feel confident in your pit guy to do this. The only reason I ask is because several times this year, I have had boats launched sideways, nose down and even submarined. I have scrambled to get the boat started again only to have it a second time. It's not the boat, it runs great and I hate to complain when someone has offered to help me out but I would rather get beat in a race by a better boat, better driver or even my own mistakes but at least I had a chance. If I can not even get launched, (and I can't control that) I did not even get a chance to compete. That is frustrating and when I travel eight hours in some cases, it's a real bummer. :( Thoughts? :blink:

DaveyK, I see your concern, but thats a part of the team effort. The launch is a trust that you need to have with your pitman. But, how is that any different than your pitman making a mistake and tell you what lane to be in and you smack a dead boat? You gotta trust them for everything. This thread is about rules. Do you think it would be a good idea if you had people handing off transmitters while the boat is cruising down the straitaway? Sorry, but thats the just plain stupid. "Provided there is enough time on the clock" Again, that is a grey area. More stuff that can go wrong. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid! One Transmitter, One person. Its not that hard. How come in RC car racing its outlawed completely? Cause its the right thing to do. Hey, speaking of the not trusting your pitman, Heres a true story that I just remembered;

There was a guy at my race years ago that was his first time racing. He launched his own boat and didnt want a pitman launching it and also didnt want a pitman telling him what to do. It was quite funny. To make a long story short, the first heat he ran he was in 2nd place running and I was announcing that he was in last. He was yelling that he wasnt. After the heat ended I was recaping and he came up to me screaming. He said he came in second. I said, according to me you never even logged a lap. He yelled, why? I said, I didnt see any fingers. lol.

Alright I understand Chris on that one, but other than that I just dont see the harm in it, new driver or not. Truthfully I find it hard to reach any button on my radio and I like to focus on racing, and I know you guys are going to say "then you are out of luck on third channel", but like it was said it is a team effort. :rolleyes:

I am pretty sure I dont think I could get the rule changed, I just wanted to kinda hear the reasons for the rule so maybe I would understand it more, but I still dont.

And as far as making it a rule for rtr, thats a real good idea.

LOL

It is a team effort!!!!! You Have to trust someone !!!!! Work together ALL racing is the same.

Tim

DaveyK, I see your concern, but thats a part of the team effort. The launch is a trust that you need to have with your pitman. But, how is that any different than your pitman making a mistake and tell you what lane to be in and you smack a dead boat? You gotta trust them for everything. This thread is about rules. Do you think it would be a good idea if you had people handing off transmitters while the boat is cruising down the straitaway? Sorry, but thats the just plain stupid. "Provided there is enough time on the clock" Again, that is a grey area. More stuff that can go wrong. K.I.S.S. Keep It Simple Stupid! One Transmitter, One person. Its not that hard. How come in RC car racing its outlawed completely? Cause its the right thing to do. Hey, speaking of the not trusting your pitman, Heres a true story that I just remembered;

There was a guy at my race years ago that was his first time racing. He launched his own boat and didnt want a pitman launching it and also didnt want a pitman telling him what to do. It was quite funny. To make a long story short, the first heat he ran he was in 2nd place running and I was announcing that he was in last. He was yelling that he wasnt. After the heat ended I was recaping and he came up to me screaming. He said he came in second. I said, according to me you never even logged a lap. He yelled, why? I said, I didnt see any fingers. lol.

Plus let me ask you this, will anyone really have an advantage if coaches could help ajust?

In my opinion I dont think anyone would.

Plus let me ask you this, will anyone really have an advantage if coaches could help ajust?

Chuck a coaches job is to watch a straight away ahead for slow boats problems or blocked lanes. Then to tell the driver where he is and who he needs to pass. Along with holding fingers high in the air. I believe his plate is full and to have him adjust on the radio opens you and everyone else in the water up for a problem. I think once you start making your own adjustments you will be just fine.....

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I understand what your saying and I realize that passing a radio isn't a great move. It's just plain frustrating! There have been races that i have been at where I was competing for first, second or third and was not able to even get a chance because of bad launc, that's all. I wish there were a better solution but I know there isn't.

I would tend to agree with not being able to touch the radio once the race starts, however, if your working with your pit man during mill time and recognize that you are having a problem, why couldn't you allow your pitman to adjust your needle setting or perhaps your steering trim if you find the boat pulling. After all, is it not safer to keep your eyes on your boat than trying to find a trim setting on your radio?

Dave

LOL

It is a team effort!!!!! You Have to trust someone !!!!! Work together ALL racing is the same.

Tim

I was just think after hearing people complain to me and my dad about this time after time race after race, that I think this rule should be changed. I am not saying that a coach should be able to take the radio and drive for the driver, I am just saying that a coach should be able to make ajustments such as trim and third channel during heat racing. I think it would make racing better so that a driver doesnt distract themselves by worrying about finding the buttons. I really dont know the consequence of breaking this rule(since its broken all the time, myself included, and nothings done except people complain if they are beat by the person who had ajustments done for them) and I also dont see the reason to have this rule considering if the rule didnt exsist then no one would have an advantage, plus racing might be a little cleaner. What do you guys think? :huh:
Locally we have dirt stk cars cars that one driver has the wheel & the other driver has the gas & brake (NO WHEEL). How about it Chuckie?? You drive & let Me have the throttle. WE can throw the brake pedal out in the back strecth!!! Pull your hat down tight..... & quit screaming like a Girl... :lol: :lol: :lol: :blink: :unsure: :blink: :eek: B)

This is why rules are so important and need to be clear and concise I think!!

Everyone has a point and as long the rules are not in place it will always be a personal decision on what they think is proper or not.

Speaking about novices or experts I think If there is a immediate danger someone/cd should intervene rules or not!! If if not A DANGEROUS situation let the cards fall as they may.

Tim

at the dirt track i used to race at in n. fl., we had a blindfold race at the season's last race. just the "bomber"/PURE stock class. the driver was blindfolded & his pitman/passenger was calling out directions :eek: . ready for that, joe? as far as anyone other than the driver touching the radio, i'm against it, for a few reasons. first is, the driver is the one i'm racing, not his "team". second, for the reason already mentioned, the pitman should be watching the course ahead, not his driver's boat or radio. third, what if my pitman takes it upon himself to adjust something i don't want changed, or am not expecting? too much room for error, on ALL levels, imho.

Yes Chuck, but not to good drivers that can drive and needle their own boat, but to those who cannot. It could take away the edge that the truly gifted racers have. I know it sounds wierd but I believe it to be true. A few years ago I would have agreed until I pitted for a guy that a few on here may have heard of, Ron Zaker Jr. I pitted for him often back when I was a kid, literally. Just a few years ago it finally clicked while watching him drive. He was multitasking. I always wanted to know why he wasnt just fast, but so consistant. I found out by watching him do more than just drive. He did so much more than just drive. I hope he doesnt get mad at me for telling everyone this, but what I believe set him apart from everyone in my district, was how he could LISTEN to his boat while racing. It is nothing short of amazing how he knew exactly where his needle was at even with other boats out there. Now, to add on to his ability to listen to his boat, at the same time he can drive through traffic or put it in lane one. So, would he be at an advantage if someone touched his transmitter, no. Now here is where it gets turned around. If Ron were to pit for me....All I would have to do is drive. He could listen to my boat and put the needle right where it should be, in other words, do all the listening for me. Would that be an advantage? Absolutley, no doubt about it. I dont think you should take away the advantage that those have developed a skill. With the advancement in Technology we have with our transmitters, there is no excuse that the driver cannot physically use the third channel, so I see no NEED whatsoever for someone else NEEDING to touch it. On a side note to Ron Zaker Jr. I know we have never had a conversation about what I just said, I just want you to know that I notice these things and think your amazing because of it....

Larry Gempp Jr.

Back