Rules:IMPBA

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Simplify the rules. All good points, but who will enforce. I have seen District Directors breaking the rules (not you Bruce) and I have not called it. Heck, it was novice and it was way to obvious. However, I am sure it occurs and where do you stop. Can you prove it unless it is on camera.

Hi All,

I don't have an opinion regarding this matter I will just give the info I am reading directly from the IMPBA website. Well there are from what it says 3 phase of the clock and rule pertaining to each phase.

This information came from "Contest and Racing Rules" "Heat Racing" "Heat Racing Rules" Page G5 & G6

1. Pit Time - thats the first two minutes to get your boat running and in the water ( I see nothing saying someone other than the driver cant touch your transmitter).

2. Clock Time - Thats the last 30 seconds before the start of the race, no launch is normally declared (But if you engine is running its up to the pit boss's discretion for your launch)(Again nothing about someone else other than the driver touching the transmitter).

3. Start / Race or Course Time - This is where you actually are racing. Now I do see here Under the Heading "Race" Line #9 and I will copy paste this directly from the rule book found online :

9. Only the driver may touch the transmitter after the start and until the

conclusion of the race or timed event.

Now I can be wrong and I am sure I will be told if I am wrong, but my understanding is the start is when the clock hits "0" and or your boat crosses the starting line to begin your race(Actually the race starts with the first legal boat crossing the start line "so this may be a little bit of a grey area"). Until that time your pitman should within the rules that i am looking at be allowed to touch your transmitter.

Ok this is just what I am reading straight from the rule book, I am sorry if I am not reading it correctly. There is also a chance there is an amendment to this rule in the updates that i am at this point unaware of. The online rule book is dated March 2006 so this could all be old information. I am sure I will find out very soon if I am in error typing this as I see it in the rule book.

Hope this is helpful,

Paul

Last edited by a moderator:
How about this for a slant on it? Most drivers stands that I've seen are tight enough as it is with 6 drivers on it and with their pitperson behind them much less having a third hand reaching in to try to make an adjustment on the transmitter.

Know your radio and where the third channel is. Practice that before the races. There is a reason why the rule was written, keep it that way.

Sorry Chuck but I completely agree with everyone else on this. I dont think anybody should mess with the radio EXCEPT for the driver. I didnt use a third channel this year but next year, there will be one in the boat. I'm sure it will take some getting use to and hey, if I cant, then it will be back to doing it like I did this year, adjusting in between heats. I too agree that would take away from the drivers who are really good at this, would be kinda like me getting Mikey to be my adjusting pitman while I race, not really too fair. I do how ever believe that in RTR it should be a little different given the age of the upcoming competitors. All the little guys and girls starting out may need a little help but dont confuse this with totally driving the boat for them, this meaning possibly keeping them from wiping out bouys or other competitor's boats.

How about this for a slant on it? Most drivers stands that I've seen are tight enough as it is with 6 drivers on it and with their pitperson behind them much less having a third hand reaching in to try to make an adjustment on the transmitter.

Know your radio and where the third channel is. Practice that before the races. There is a reason why the rule was written, keep it that way.
Amen

Hey I am not saying I dont know how to listen to my boat. I consider myself an experienced racer and I CAN tell the needle of my own boat. Most of the time I do the ajustments myself. Actually I do usually get my needle set during mill time. I was just saying what I thought of the rule and I was seeing what others thought. No reasons to suggest that I dont know how to listen for my needle, I may be young but I have raced for eight years. I agree, I have coached Ron as well and he is way better at multitasking than me. Plus what am supposed to do when it gets cold other than argue with you guys?!! :p :lol: :lol:

at the dirt track i used to race at in n. fl., we had a blindfold race at the season's last race. just the "bomber"/PURE stock class. the driver was blindfolded & his pitman/passenger was calling out directions :eek: . ready for that, joe? as far as anyone other than the driver touching the radio, i'm against it, for a few reasons. first is, the driver is the one i'm racing, not his "team". second, for the reason already mentioned, the pitman should be watching the course ahead, not his driver's boat or radio. third, what if my pitman takes it upon himself to adjust something i don't want changed, or am not expecting? too much room for error, on ALL levels, imho.
Most of the drivers here cannot see anyway...... & they are receiving no direction from the back seat. its why it takes 2 hrs to run their heat races....... :lol: :lol: If the pit man was allowed to touch the radio?? Question is when does the race start? @ the start of the clock or the end of the mill?? Most would only turn the needle leaner anyways. So be careful what you ask for. Boaters that CAN handle their boats on the water.... Dont allow Anyone to Come Near the radio while Racing.

at the dirt track i used to race at in n. fl., we had a blindfold race at the season's last race. just the "bomber"/PURE stock class. the driver was blindfolded & his pitman/passenger was calling out directions :eek: . ready for that, joe? as far as anyone other than the driver touching the radio, i'm against it, for a few reasons. first is, the driver is the one i'm racing, not his "team". second, for the reason already mentioned, the pitman should be watching the course ahead, not his driver's boat or radio. third, what if my pitman takes it upon himself to adjust something i don't want changed, or am not expecting? too much room for error, on ALL levels, imho.
Most of the drivers here cannot see anyway...... & they are receiving no direction from the back seat. its why it takes 2 hrs to run their heat races....... :lol: :lol: If the pit man was allowed to touch the radio?? Question is when does the race start? @ the start of the clock or the end of the mill?? Most would only turn the needle leaner anyways. So be careful what you ask for. Boaters that CAN handle their boats on the water.... Dont allow Anyone to Come Near the radio while Racing.
Bingo, give that man a cigar!!! No one touches my radio, but then again they would'nt know what to do with the dinosaur systems I run. :lol: Old Faithful 1024 PCM Wheel. B) B)

Plus let me ask you this, will anyone really have an advantage if coaches could help ajust?

In my opinion I dont think anyone would.
Chuck a coaches job is to watch a straight away ahead for slow boats problems or blocked lanes. Then to tell the driver where he is and who he needs to pass. Along with holding fingers high in the air. I believe his plate is full and to have him adjust on the radio opens you and everyone else in the water up for a problem. I think once you start making your own adjustments you will be just fine.....

I think Mikey has the key here......if the coach is looking at your radio trying to adjust the needle, or trim the steering/throttle then who is looking at the race coarse ahead of you?????? The coach is there to let you know what is ahead of you and he cant do that if he is looking at your radio.

I don't run third channels in most boats anyway ..so all I want to know is the clock , dead boats , how many laps !! Oh and slap that dang mosquito off my neck will ya ! :lol: :lol:

Ok as far as safety concerns go I understand the rule. So I do now get why it is in place. But as far as I'm concerned it still wouldn't give anyone an advantage because saying I had a skilled coach behind me, as I always do, they could still tell me what they think the needle should be and I could change it to what they say. But mikey made a great point as to what the coach should be doing anyways, unless Phil is behind ya then you'll be talkin about dinner haha.

I remember when and why the rule was put into effect. I will not call any names but two racer that always ran their motors on the edge had to have the caller work the third channel the whole race. It was so bad the they had to richen the motors up for the turn and could lean them back down in the straights. This is why this rule was formed. I never like it because if I needed to ajust a radio for the driver before the race had started I felt it was more safe than having the driver remove his hand from the wheel.

I still reach up there and change the radio before the race has started but I don't make a habit of touching it when the race is on.

I remember when and why the rule was put into effect. I will not call any names but two racer that always ran their motors on the edge had to have the caller work the third channel the whole race. It was so bad the they had to richen the motors up for the turn and could lean them back down in the straights. This is why this rule was formed. I never like it because if I needed to ajust a radio for the driver before the race had started I felt it was more safe than having the driver remove his hand from the wheel.

I still reach up there and change the radio before the race has started but I don't make a habit of touching it when the race is on.
Does Doc do the same for you? :lol: :lol:

This is why rules are so important and need to be clear and concise I think!!

Everyone has a point and as long the rules are not in place it will always be a personal decision on what they think is proper or not.

Speaking about novices or experts I think If there is a immediate danger someone/cd should intervene rules or not!! If if not A DANGEROUS situation let the cards fall as they may.

Tim
I think that if aperson knowes there radio, and what knob or button controlls what, that even while racing your attenion is not distracted from the race. But you must know from memory what button or knob to use to make the adjustments, That is why I use the same radio and set up on each boat that I run.

Walt Barney

I love my 3PJ because one of the thumb wheels on the grip is the 3rd channel needle. No need to let go of anything. I can constantly adjust the needle if I want. :ph34r:

I think what he is asking is on a new boater some one that never has driven a boat should they be able to help not a long time boater no , no one should be helping a long time boater hands off

Latest posts

Back