RTR Pictures

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice ride!! I'm running the same hardware and I've been having serious problems with spin outs and no turning response. I am running a .21 not an 18 but I don't think that should make this drastic of a difference. At full throttle I can barley hold lane 8 in the turns. Then I hit a small wake and it just goes flying.
don't know what to tell you, this baby rides on rails I have a video of it on youtube under mrfreezertrzone don't know if Iw will let me link to it so as to not stir up any trouble do a search to see it

Nice ride!! I'm running the same hardware and I've been having serious problems with spin outs and no turning response. I am running a .21 not an 18 but I don't think that should make this drastic of a difference. At full throttle I can barley hold lane 8 in the turns. Then I hit a small wake and it just goes flying.
I'm running my MV w/sponson mods and made a new turn fin bracket to position the Grim Fin as deep as possible. I'm doing close to 50 and the boat will hold lane 1.

JD

don't know what to tell you, this baby rides on rails I have a video of it on youtube under mrfreezertrzone don't know if Iw will let me link to it so as to not stir up any trouble do a search to see it
I think the problem may be in the fact that I'm running a .21 and larger prop which creates more lift at the transon and less rudder control surface in the water. I have a turn fin that is a little deeper and it makes a world of difference. I have yet to try my new rudder as the last time I was out it spun out and hit the retrival boat. Now I'm doing some glass work to get her going again.

I think the problem may be in the fact that I'm running a .21 and larger prop which creates more lift at the transon and less rudder control surface in the water. I have a turn fin that is a little deeper and it makes a world of difference. I have yet to try my new rudder as the last time I was out it spun out and hit the retrival boat. Now I'm doing some glass work to get her going again.

No body's gonna kick you off this site for sharing knowledge. Feel free to post what you want.

I looked at the video and to be honest I'm not real impressed. I realize that's a stock aqua you're running but the video doesn't demonstrate the "running on rails" that I was referring to. My .21 Rossi vegas will run wide turns like that all day. But my sport 40 can make a 55mph turn in a 10' radius. That's what I mean by running on rails. I'm not sure what a stock vegas will do, and I'd guess not 55mph in a 10'. On my fast boats I don't ever use 100% rudder and I can hold tight to the inside lane no problem. But the *** equipped .21 Rossi vegas 100% rudder is no different than 10% rudder. It's a faulty design. The rudder is in in the prop wash, is too shallow and doesn't get enough bite.

Last edited by a moderator:
guys i just want to say this once, i am not trying to be a jerk , but if the initials for a certian business or their name do not quit getting mentioned , i will do some removing. that guy loves attention no matter good nor bad, and i do not want the animal fed, thanks and i belive we all know whom i am talking about, please use asteriks for that clown , just as they did for barry bonds tainted ball..lol. thanks

terry

No body's gonna kick you off this site for sharing knowledge. Feel free to post what you want.

I looked at the video and to be honest I'm not real impressed. I realize that's a stock aqua you're running but the video doesn't demonstrate the "running on rails" that I was referring to. My .21 Rossi vegas will run wide turns like that all day. But my sport 40 can make a 55mph turn in a 10' radius. That's what I mean by running on rails. I'm not sure what a stock vegas will do, and I'd guess not 55mph in a 10'. On my fast boats I don't ever use 100% rudder and I can hold tight to the inside lane no problem. But the *** equipped .21 Rossi vegas 100% rudder is no different than 10% rudder. It's a faulty design. The rudder is in in the prop wash, is too shallow and doesn't get enough bite.

It's not the rudder!! On the vegas I generally have to turn the steering rate down for a 35ft radius turn, you either need a higher torque steering servo or you have the boat set up wrong. That boat was never designed to do over 40mph or run with a 21, the other 2 boats you have were designed to run at much higher speed so of course they handle it better. If the rudder is such a faulty design then why don't you put the stock one back on and see how well you turn,,, LOL!!!

It's not the rudder!! On the vegas I generally have to turn the steering rate down for a 35ft radius turn, you either need a higher torque steering servo or you have the boat set up wrong. That boat was never designed to do over 40mph or run with a 21, the other 2 boats you have were designed to run at much higher speed so of course they handle it better. If the rudder is such a faulty design then why don't you put the stock one back on and see how well you turn,,, LOL!!!
Adam,

You witnessed it first hand. I ran the *** setup and it wouldn't turn tight. Then I made my own turn fin out of scrap aluminum that was soft as butter and it turned much better. I asked around and serveral people told me that they had a similar issue and to go back to the stock rudder. So from my research and experience I think it's the combination of the two. I'll post a before an after vid with *** vs XcelRacing hardware and see what happens. Thanks for the civil response. lol. It's much more enjoyable when the name calling is left out. Thanks.

Travis

I just wanted to add that my steering servo has 64 oz-in which is 22 oz-in more than the standard servos. My sport 40 uses 90 oz-in servos and has no problem turning and the boat weighs almost 2x as much.

sorry to get off the subject but happy birthday Travis I hope you had a great one buddy

I have no Problem being civil, You know that. Don't kick dirt at Me and I won't swing back.

I did see your turn fin bend to the side, and I did see you put the other turn fin on and run it MANY TIMES, and as you know I have plenty of video of your boat turning just fine. I use the Spektrum Z590 which has I believe 88 oz and have NO PROBLEM Turning. Your ruining a bit more engine so your gonna need a bit more power to turn it.

I told you before if you want to make your own hardware more power to ya. But don't try to make yourself a name by kicking somebody or telling stories you know are not true, make your name by producing something better for a price R\C Boaters can afford, (key words here being can afford) you will find out soon enough how unfriendly this market can be, especially NEW BOATERS!!

I have no Problem being civil, You know that. Don't kick dirt at Me and I won't swing back.
I did see your turn fin bend to the side, and I did see you put the other turn fin on and run it MANY TIMES, and as you know I have plenty of video of your boat turning just fine. I use the Spektrum Z590 which has I believe 88 oz and have NO PROBLEM Turning. Your ruining a bit more engine so your gonna need a bit more power to turn it.

I told you before if you want to make your own hardware more power to ya. But don't try to make yourself a name by kicking somebody or telling stories you know are not true, make your name by producing something better for a price R\C Boaters can afford, (key words here being can afford) you will find out soon enough how unfriendly this market can be, especially NEW BOATERS!!
Thanks for the feedback. All I know is what works and what doesn't work for me. That's what I share here. I've never said anything that was untrue. I have only shared my experience. I think sometimes that personal conflicts can promote mis-communication. On a personal note, I do appreciate your feedback and I still think you're a valueable resource to this hobby. Thank you for your contributions. Happy fourth of july! I thought you'd be out at lake ellan today getting some run time in. lol. I'm on my way out the door now. Take care.

Travis

sorry to get off the subject but happy birthday Travis I hope you had a great one buddy

Thanks Rich. I did have a great birthday thanks to my family and friends here and all over the world.

Thanks,

Travis

Latest posts

Back