Radio ???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

riche

Does anyone have advice on this Radio?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...&I=LXGAG2**&P=0

I am building a 28" WOF tunnel. I think I am in the market for a new radio...

It will be for play right now but I need something that will expand with me.

I may start racing and I would like to add a mono or maybe a rigger later down the road???

maybe you guys can suggest something better? Looking for impute.

Thanks

Richard

Like most things that are available in an open market situation:

you'll get what you pay for

should be ok if it's Futaba

Last edited by a moderator:
the price sure seems attractive but I was hoping to get some pros/cons to see if I am getting what I am paying for :D

maybe even better radio suggestions I would pay more for a good quality radio I just really don't know... :huh:

the only radios I have had in the past have been bottom line am radios...

This radio is just there revamp version of the 3PDF. When they discontinued my favorite radio the 3PJS, they also discontinued its little brother, the 3PDF. It looks like it has some up grades. To tell you the truth it looks like it has the radio package of the 3PJS without the expandable memory or PCM. It kind of makes sense. Since the 3PK replaced the 3PJS because the cars guys wanted some additional features and more speed, they probably thought dump the 3PDF system and use the 3PJS radio package without pulse code. No new R&D. Revamp the case and viola, new product. Just my simple observations. If it is, the only draw back that I can see is that it is not PCM. That is my personal preference though.

Mike

Mike

When I first started looking at radios about a year ago I was really leaning towards the 3PDF.

But the funds just were not in place. Now I have the funds and they changed crap around on me..

I have always owned Futaba. Hell I have a magnum Jr since I was 14 and not the one with the batteries on the bottom the one with the batteries in the handle!!!!

I say I have the funds but not for the 3PK!!! so now I am left looking at the 3PM wondering if it is up to snuff so to speak....

I trust Futaba, but just a little unsure...

another dumb question 27 or 75????

Thank for you help guys!!!

Richard

I have sold a few of these radios. The third channel is not set up for mixture control like we use on boats. It is designed for trucks that need the third channel to shift into reverse. I think Futaba forgot about us boaters when they came up with this new design.

That is good info there!!!! I was not going to use a remote mixture needle now but I probably am going to later down the road... what 3 channels have the proper function on the third channel to operate a remote mixture?

The third channel is not set up for mixture control like we use on boats.
Well that sucks. The boating community gets screwed again. We just don't count. I was thinking that 3PM would be perfect, NOT. Oh well, I have 2-3PJS and 1-3PJ. They should last me a while. I am planning on doing a carbon fiber case for them eventually. That plastic they use is design to break. Planned obsolescence.

Mike

PS I would go with the 75 band. It gives you more channels to choose from.

Does the third channel have a trim? If so the trim could be used to control mixture.

I looks like it has buttons that can be programed to click it up or down. I don't like this because it is easy to confuse one button from the other. 3PJS has a knob. This I like.

Mike

**** digital trim buttons <_< They sure know how to spoil your fun. :lol:

I use a JR XR3 and had to do some creative soldering to change the 3rd channel switch locations.

Tim.

riche said:
Mike
When I first started looking at radios about a year ago I was really leaning towards the 3PDF.

But the funds just were not in place. Now I have the funds and they changed crap around on me..

I have always owned Futaba. Hell I have a magnum Jr since I was 14 and not the one with the batteries on the bottom the one with the batteries in the handle!!!!

I say I have the funds but not for the 3PK!!! so now I am left looking at the 3PM wondering if it is up to snuff so to speak....

I trust Futaba, but just a little unsure...

another dumb question 27 or 75????

Thank for you help guys!!!

Richard
I was the same way.. talked to a guy at the LHS and he convinced me to try his MX3.. now i bought one for my sport 20 I havn't run mine yet.. but his felt nice, very well balaanced, and a lot smoother than my old magnum

Ok....

I may be sold on the MX3 but just a few questions. (stick with me guys!!!)

1. Now I would probably be happy with the regular MX3 but "when" I decide to start racing is it worth the extra $ for the synthesized?

2. what about the 3rd channel on this one? will it operate a remote needle properly?

Richard

the 3rd channel is not porportional, but you can use the controls to change the throw of th servo

Latest posts

Back