Quieting Boats down

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is what i was saying before who wants to spend 170 for a pipe that might not work.They got to be kidding.I can go to a muffler shop have dual exhaust installed on my old 66 dodge truck for that kind of money i know its way out of my price range it cost more than a complete gas exhaust for a zenoah.

Don, I looked at the MAC web page. I noticed that the advertised price tripled ($170.00 for the 15cc pipe). My experience with all MAC pipes (15 and 13ccs) associated with CMB 15cc (EVOs, RSs, etc.) motors is that they all act like your motors are running on "governors" which it's what you have been describing. The only pipe I have found that reacts to pipe length adjustments on the CMB15CCs is the Brown AB67. Therefore with all due respect, if the MAC pipes price is going to "triple", my input to you so that you can tell them, is that "they can stick that pipe were the sun don't shine".

JOSE
Well that's you opinion & you're entitled to it .....even if you're wrong. Just because you don't like Macs pipes doesn't mean others don't have better luck with them. You are one of the few who doesn't run the 15cc Macs pipes on the CMB's so obviously what works for others does not suite you & vice-versa. And BTW the advertised price didn't "triple", what kind of math are you using??? The "1399 Macs 15cc muffled pipe is $101 & the #1392 super muffled is $145. ;)

Jerry.... ( not to involve in your postings don, sorry) Chris W is on here and posted links to thier site somewhere.... They have made silencers in the past, Also Dave Pruesse marketed a few,... My TD 21 pipes on my hydros are loud, although below the limit, I asked Dave about future add on stuff, and Im sure he will accomodate us.... My NR21OB pipes seem loud to me too, and Id like to have carbon addon silencers to try and quiet them further..... Woods will make custom stuff possibly, I hate to even add to debate, but, I gained considerable performance on Irwins stamped and their cone add on, before the limit was 92...... Theres information needed on testing and more silencing options need to be made available to make it feasable for us to get these boats as quiet as we can........ Dave is the man, Im sure he'll develop functional pieces in the future to help us out......... good luck... Mike

Does anybody have any links to where you can get O/B pipe add on silencers? This is forMod 20 o/b and the 30 tunnel motor,, the stinger on the 30 is about 7/16ths dia.

The normal add on silencers "Rum and Prather" an such are going to be way too heavy,

anything light that's out there.

Thanks, JW

Also: The silencers are going on carbon pipes.

Jerry, look at my gallary I have a few shot of E.J.'s add-on. I'm working on some carbon fiber add-on silencers now. I'll post photos when I get them done.

ANDY............. I AN SURE!!!!! You are planning to Have an ADD ON MUFFLER in your NEW

ADDITIONAL Procucts!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

I have WAY TO MUCH MONEY in PIPES SITTING IN DRAWS to go out spend on pipes that will not fit my application.

BUILD A ADD ON THAT GETS ME TO 90db for 67-80-90's.............one were I do NOT HAVE TO DRILL OUT THE STINGER!!!! And you have a sale for AT LEAST SIX!!!!! :) :) :)

OH...............And I know you will get the RIGHT OUTLET VOLUME!!!!!! B) B)

Pissed at spending money on Mufflers that are CHOKING THE LIFE OUT OF MY MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

ANDY............. I AN SURE!!!!! You are planning to Have an ADD ON MUFFLER in your NEW

ADDITIONAL Procucts!!!!!!!!!!! ;) ;) ;)

I have WAY TO MUCH MONEY in PIPES SITTING IN DRAWS to go out spend on pipes that will not fit my application.

BUILD A ADD ON THAT GETS ME TO 90db for 67-80-90's.............one were I do NOT HAVE TO DRILL OUT THE STINGER!!!! And you have a sale for AT LEAST SIX!!!!! :) :) :)

OH...............And I know you will get the RIGHT OUTLET VOLUME!!!!!! B) B)

Pissed at spending money on Mufflers that are CHOKING THE LIFE OUT OF MY MOTORS!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry: :angry: :angry:

Chuck,

That is one item that will be ready in a short time, I think 3 weeks max. I have designed sizes for all engines sizes and we can take custom orders so that it will be a perfect fit over the O.D. of your stinger. It also has a trick new system to adjust the backpressure to meet your exact needs.

So yes we can start taking orders now. Just contact us with your engine size and your stinger O.D. Stinger length would be good to know also.

This add-on muffler will also have an integral clamp system...not just a hose clamp, and an integral pipe bracket at the normal front stinger area so there won't be a need to change bracket locations on your boat.

.....and as I mentioned in another thread, we will have a new line of pipes with this improved muffler system.

Good boating,

Andy

Andy.............Good information!! I will be in contact............. :) :) :)

One Better...........If You have one that needs testing I an open. Will call Monday.

With that CRAP ON THE FAN........................... AGAIN!!! AND NO ONE SEEING the BBBIIGG Picture

WE are ONCE AGAIN FACED WITH THE REALIZATION THAT IMPBA IS UNDER THREAT FROM FORCES WITH IN!!!! AGAIN....................!!

What was to have been the " Nationals" The BRIGHT SPOT in the organization calender...................And look at the fall out.

NOW what do we Build on for the next year. EACH an Every Boater NOW has to know what the inpact of the surrounding area of the lake is based on a DB meter before they leave home!!!

I can buy all the Pipes and the muffler that are on the market or that are coming on the market. BUT NO ONE CAN TELL WITH OUT A DOUT THAT I WILL PASS THE CURRENT DB NUMBER!!!!

SO WHAT IS NEXT???????????????

12 pages of talk and not one that say RACING will be good next year :( :( :(

NO ONE KNOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So......... getting back on topic now that Chuck is off his soapbox, I ran the Macs test pipes again today & am pleased with the results, pipes at 12" with a pair of Sholund H50's @ 7.0". I will be running this combination next weekend at the ODMBA Invitational. ;)

RACING WILL BE GOOD NEXT YEAR!

Now that has been said, it does comes with a provision. You all MUST be patient. The solutions are not just one item but several and comes in many forms as we have many different combinations. Just chill out as I told all of you earlier in this topic. The solutions will come in a relatively short period of time.

OK Don................ You OWED me that One!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I was coming up to your race. But, you and no one else is looking at the effects. Sure your pipes have your under 92 at you lake. But When I leave here I an under 92 as well..................... And when I get to your lake and fire up I an now over. Now what???

All the work you are doing WILL NOT GUARANTEE THE SAME DB READING EVERY TIME!!!

REGUARDLESS OF RACE SITE!!!!

THINK::: You And evryone else come here next year!!! Am I to tell you that we are Not holding the race...........

Or am I to tell everyone come and Race..........Because you are ALL going to be over!!!!!

Mark Bullard drew attention to it. But was not until we started testing at the lake that I became OBVOIUS!!!!

" Each race will have to publish the date of Calibration, The ambiemt level of +/-

And the type of meter being used." On the race flyer. This will have to be for EVERY PLACE THAT PLANS TO HAVE A RACE!!!!

" Sure Don you may be at 80, but a 747 was over head when I was reading the meter for your pass" " You NOW HAVE A WARING!!"................

Now, you get pissed!!! But that the rule!!!

The point is: We are in danger of Killing ourselves, for what we perceive is going to help us

improve ourselves. Can anyone go to any race with out the fear that they have

WASTED Precious time and money. You now creat racing that is over run with

Political jousting and NOT competition.

A lot of Hard work goes into putting on races. And without a Thought of the

RIPPLE EFECT Every race is now held with a the AXE over it head.

As for the pipes...............If the do not allow you to Shorten them with out having power /

performance losses they are not good.

John: The solution will Not come is a short time frame. Each race site has it own variables

and those numbers will have to be pooled to get a National avarage of +/-...... How long do you think that will take???? In time for the Spring race, how about the Nats, maybe in time

for your Championship....

A Statement: of some kind needs to heard for "ON HIGH". No statement is no good!

Have you notice how fast things move around.................

OK Don................ You OWED me that One!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

But seriously, I was coming up to your race. But, you and no one else is looking at the effects. Sure your pipes have your under 92 at you lake. But When I leave here I an under 92 as well..................... And when I get to your lake and fire up I an now over. Now what???
And here in lies the real heart of the problem. Some of you are looking at doing the ABSOLUTE BARE MINIMUM to get just under the limit. You said it yourself to Andy saying you want add ons that will get you to 90dB, why not 85?? Or 80??. Well guess what, THAT very approach is what will come back to BITE YOU IN THE A$$ ......... AGAIN!!

The pipes I'm testing are SO FAR UNDER the limit I would not be afraid to take the twin to Evansville or anywhere else for that matter. And I don't want to here any bullsxxt about meter calibrations either, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to know a boat is loud. Yes we need to calibrate the meters so everyone is reading the same but I will tell you this, my meter is far better than the $50 Radio Shack unit that is suggested as a baseline & when I can pass within 25 feet of the meter & get repeated 82dB readings it shows these pipes are working. I am bustin' my butt trying to find working solutions rather than some of you who just want to sit on your ass & do nothing but *****. Regardless, I don't need a meter to know the boat is fast & quiet!! Neither do the people watching it run, standing there with their jaws hanging open, amazed at what they just saw ...... and didn't hear.

Now, FOR THE LAST TIME!!!! Take the pissin', moanin' & crying about the rule OFF OF THIS THREAD!!! This goes for you & anyone else who wants to *****, IT DOES NOT BELONG HERE!!!!! This thread was started by Brian for people to post things they are finding that work. All of you, PLEASE have some RESPECT for Brian's thread & post only what you are finding that works, otherwise TAKE IT ELSEWHERE!!! :angry:

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok DON......................... You know EVERYTHING!!!!

ITS your World................... Only Soap boxes allow in here are yours!!!

Won't have to here from me AGAIN!!! Go luck on running the IMPBA!!

Ok DON......................... You know EVERYTHING!!!!

ITS your World................... Only Soap boxes allow in here are yours!!!

Won't have to here from me AGAIN!!! Go luck on running the IMPBA!!
Chuck, I don't know everything, but I do know some of you are been rather thick-headed & want to live in the past.

I'm not trying to run the IMPBA, only work with what the MAJORITY voted in place. If this rule gets changed so be it, but I am not counting on it. I am doing everything & anything I can to find stuff that will work under the present rule that will give my fellow boaters more options. It took a couple phone calls with a few lengthy conversations about the current situation to solicit help from Macs & I applaud them for stepping up to offer options regardless of how expensive it might be. It is something to work with & I will share the concerns of price with them on Monday's phone call. What are you & a few others doing besides bitching ..........

And BTW- pay more attention to what gets posted, I never said these pipes don't like to be shortened, what I said was they don't like to be too long or you will see a sharp drop in power. Based on the volume I'm actually running a little shorter than I was with the previous 15cc pipes. It seems a few of you are so hell bent on fighting this you read only what you want to read desperately looking for ammo to fight a losing arguement.

Believe it or not, I consider everyone else's opinions relevant, right, wrong or otherwise, just not on this thread. Please re-read the TITLE of this thread, respect Brian's wishes & take the rule/dB arguement elsewhere like here-

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=16096

I've been to the NAVIGA Worlds four times. Twice world champion.......and helped a lot of poeple achive the same status. Not an easy thing to do!

When I go there I run the same 60%-70% nitro, the same engines, the same props and the same pipes with some extra muffling. There are ALWAYS TWO db meters on the pontoon at the worlds. They average the two, if there is any question. I've never been warned for being over the NAVIGA limit, which I believe is 82 db. Al Hobbs has gotton warings while using the standard MACS muffled pipe, which is a fairly quite pipe.

I can build an add-on that will get you guys to where you want to be. I didn't say anything about 90 db.

SO...... I guess I'm offing a way to 'quiet boats down'.......I think it is relevant to this thread.

I've been to the NAVIGA Worlds four times. Twice world champion.......and helped a lot of poeple achive the same status. Not an easy thing to do!

When I go there I run the same 60%-70% nitro, the same engines, the same props and the same pipes with some extra muffling. There are ALWAYS TWO db meters on the pontoon at the worlds. They average the two, if there is any question. I've never been warned for being over the NAVIGA limit, which I believe is 82 db. Al Hobbs has gotton warnings while using the standard MACS muffled pipe, which is a fairly quite pipe.

I can build an add-on that will get you guys to where you want to be. I didn't say anything about 90 db.

SO...... I guess I'm offing a way to 'quiet boats down'.......I think it is relevant to this thread.
Yes it is and THANK YOU for your efforts!! :)

Chuck, I don't know everything, but I do know some of you are been rather thick-headed & want to live in the past.

I'm not trying to run the IMPBA, only work with what the MAJORITY voted in place. If this rule gets changed so be it, but I am not counting on it. I am doing everything & anything I can to find stuff that will work under the present rule that will give my fellow boaters more options. It took a couple phone calls with a few lengthy conversations about the current situation to solicit help from Macs & I applaud them for stepping up to offer options regardless of how expensive it might be. It is something to work with & I will share the concerns of price with them on Monday's phone call. What are you & a few others doing besides bitching ..........

And BTW- pay more attention to what gets posted, I never said these pipes don't like to be shortened, what I said was they don't like to be too long or you will see a sharp drop in power. Based on the volume I'm actually running a little shorter than I was with the previous 15cc pipes. It seems a few of you are so hell bent on fighting this you read only what you want to read desperately looking for ammo to fight a losing arguement.

Believe it or not, I consider everyone else's opinions relevant, right, wrong or otherwise, just not on this thread. Please re-read the TITLE of this thread, respect Brian's wishes & take the rule/dB arguement elsewhere like here-

http://www.intlwaters.com/index.php?showtopic=16096

Don, You have mentioned several times about these 82 db pipes but not once have you mentioned performance in any way other than you do mention good. What are your lap times? What are your lap times first lap versus last lap? What do you have invested in getting the performance that you have found or did you gain performance. we already now you have $340 pipes. how much more have you spent in props trying to find performance? I am sure your next question will be regarding what does money have to do with it. And my following question will be how many people can spend this kind of money with all the added expenses we have had in life like 3.00 a gallon gas. Yes races are going to suffer because when things get ruff the first thing to go are our hobbies. Take 3.00 gallon gas, a meal at wendy costing 40 % more and add the $600 or more that it will take to quiten a twin down and moct likely loose performance and you will see fall out by the masses.

By the way what have you learned from this thread? After re reading all 12 pages I do not see one thing covered that was not covered by one post on the other thread with the exception of the the teflon liner in the struffing box tube.

Allen

When I go there I run the same 60%-70% nitro, the same engines, the same props and the same pipes with some extra muffling. There are ALWAYS TWO db meters on the pontoon at the worlds. They average the two, if there is any question. I've never been warned for being over the NAVIGA limit, which I believe is 82 db. Al Hobbs has gotton warings while using the standard MACS muffled pipe, which is a fairly quite pipe.

Andy, I was told by John that the pipe he had on hid forty boat was the pipe used in the worlds by you. This pipe did have an fiberglassed on extra muffling device. Was this the pipe that you we under 82 dbs wwith? I am curious because it was 86 to 88 dbs every pass that I was not in John heat because I particually watched the meter because of the above information. Would you have done anything differently to your boat to address noise than was done on johns boat?

Allen

Maybe 15 years ago someone wrapped a standard nitro pipe with a bicycle inner tube and it made a real difference. I'm not sure how well it held up though. Wouldn't you get the same effect by covering a nitro pipe with carbon fiber sleeving? My son's GadjetKraft 20 OB pipe is made like this and it's not load at all but it is a 20 boat.

man im sure glad where i run my boats i dont have to worry about noise problems cause the prather muffler didnt quiet my 67 down hardly any :rolleyes:

Back