Quieting Boats down

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would just like to add something for everyone to chew on..

I talked to stu barr last week, he went to the jolet race.. sat night after the race he said he did some testing.. his 60/80 hydro was running somewhere around 84db ( correct me if i am wrong stu )..

Sunday. with a stronger wind and out of a different direction during the race his boat ran 89-90 db..

If wind direction plays that big of a part in all of this then a d.b meter is as good as the juice machine people by on home shopping network. LOL!! had to say that

chris
Once again- PLEASE! .... let's keep this thread on track, this post offers nothing about positive results from something PHYSICALLY done to a boat to reduce the noise levels. <_<
ALRIGHT DON!

Stu is testing a cooper add on muffler that is running in the mid 80db range on a cmb black pipe.

in a big hydro

is that better?

chris

I would just like to add something for everyone to chew on..

I talked to stu barr last week, he went to the jolet race.. sat night after the race he said he did some testing.. his 60/80 hydro was running somewhere around 84db ( correct me if i am wrong stu )..

Sunday. with a stronger wind and out of a different direction during the race his boat ran 89-90 db..

If wind direction plays that big of a part in all of this then a d.b meter is as good as the juice machine people by on home shopping network. LOL!! had to say that

chris
Once again- PLEASE! .... let's keep this thread on track, this post offers nothing about positive results from something PHYSICALLY done to a boat to reduce the noise levels. <_<
ALRIGHT DON!

Stu is testing a cooper add on muffler that is running in the mid 80db range on a cmb black pipe.

in a big hydro

is that better?

chris
Thank you Chris. Not raggin' on ya bro but it seems as soon as anyone says anything about dB variances we spend the next 2 or 3 pages listening to certain people rant about the testing methods. Brian started this thread soley for people to post what things they are finding that help make the boats quieter. ;)

Bro. Don of the Soap BOX Ministires

One can not go with out the other. Like Chris. I have been working some things to. But from one hour to the next the readings change with the same boat in the water................. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Un like "GET THE BOAT QUIET" I have be working on what the variables are going to be.

And I can tell you that we are a LONG WAY from having this one FINISHED!!!

Dynamat, what ever!!! If wind veolocity picks up or changes direction you will Jump on the meter 1-6 points depending on the mph of the wind...

The buffer thing is good............to a point. Once the ambient sound is inside that chamber the meter moves again.

Afternoon, Moring, on the flight line. off the flight line, with a train with out a train. The averages of all these numbers show, that one can not effectively judge the boat on it induvidual merits.

Will the boat pass yes. But there is MORE here than " GET THE BOAT QUIET!!"

Bro. Don of the Soap BOX Ministires

One can not go with out the other. Like Chris. I have been working some things to. But from one hour to the next the readings change with the same boat in the water................. :blink: :blink: :blink:

Un like "GET THE BOAT QUIET" I have be working on what the variables are going to be.

And I can tell you that we are a LONG WAY from having this one FINISHED!!!

Dynamat, what ever!!! If wind veolocity picks up or changes direction you will Jump on the meter 1-6 points depending on the mph of the wind...

The buffer thing is good............to a point. Once the ambient sound is inside that chamber the meter moves again.

Afternoon, Morning, on the flight line. off the flight line, with a train with out a train. The averages of all these numbers show, that one can not effectively judge the boat on it induvidual merits.

Will the boat pass yes. But there is MORE here than " GET THE BOAT QUIET!!"
I agree with you Chuck on some of what you say & some is way off base but regardless just put it on a different thread. Some of you just don't get it as it has been said REPEATEDLY , what this thread was created for. If you have some POSITIVE PHYSICAL results in noise suppression by all means please post it, otherwise take it elsewhere. If a measurable reduction in noise is made, it is still a reduction, the statement of "one can not effectively judge the boat on it's individual merits" is a bunch of bunk.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just to that statement Don.............

All of the testing is done with one boat in the water...........Correct???

But we are going to have noise qualifing, were each individual boat will be checked.

Again, I now have to do All of the testing over, With multipule boats in the water.

Every pass you make with other boats is effected by their sound as well.

As for" " I an waiting on something from Andy...........That will allow us to keep our current

pipes. Will let YOU know how that goes. :D :D :D

Wrong. We repeatedly got 82dB on the twin when I was testing the Macs pipes there was no less than 3 or 4 other boats running at the same time during open water that day & I believe most if not all of them were GAS BOATS!

Chris,

just to verify there was little to NO wind on sunday...when it did blow it was VERY VERY light out of the north east. So light in fact we flew RotoFlys in the parking area. Just no chance that thing will fly in any wind.

Grim

Wrong. We repeatedly got 82dB on the twin when I was testing the Macs pipes there was no less than 3 or 4 other boats running at the same time during open water that day & I believe most if not all of them were GAS BOATS!

I will confirm what Don is saying because I was there at the ODMBA race and there were no less than 6 of us using meters. Testing was done when his boat was running alone AND with other boats, including gas boats. The meter readings were consistently in the lower 80's. Several times we were standing at the edge of the bank, not 25' from it, and Don was running the twin close to shore, no more than 35'-40' from the meter. The reading then was 87 ON A TWIN. And his twin was absolutely flying.

I will attest to these new MACS pipes and how quiet they are and how accurate Don has been with his description and reports. He is not sugar coating them in the least. But the price MUST substantially come down for many racers will buy them, including me. But the RESULTS are there and what is what we are trying to attain, even among the skeptics.

John.........Don't jump in there with him. ;) ;) ;)

He fell into the trap and did not realize it............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

So ..............."We CAN NOT Judge a boat on its own individual merit"

John.........Don't jump in there with him. ;) ;) ;)

He fell into the trap and did not realize it............ :lol: :lol: :lol:

So ..............."We CAN NOT Judge a boat on its own individual merit"

Chuck,

May be advisable not to be so self assured. YOU may be the surprised one.

Chris,

just to verify there was little to NO wind on sunday...when it did blow it was VERY VERY light out of the north east. So light in fact we flew RotoFlys in the parking area. Just no chance that thing will fly in any wind.

Grim

That's cool mike, i was just passing along the info.. maybe got my day's mixed up not sure..

oh well, all i know is there is no good way to do this.

chris

Hey gang, please forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, (I got side tracked when this thread started talking about DB meters, so haven't read all pages...), but has anyone looked into isolating the flex cable with one of THESE COUPLERS?

coupler.jpg

I was just looking at eBay (gotta quit that...) when I saw it there. I can't imagine that the Lord type mount would last very long, but they're cheap enough to replace. I don't like the set screw part, but a flex-hex or square drive nut might replace that... Anyone in the UK or Europe using these?

Duane

Don,

Dictate? :lol:

That was not an answer or a cure as much as an idea.. dont you think tossing out an idea is better then no idea at all? Coffee time man.. ;)

Chill dude...Remember Don im with you if it must be a DBs.. static on the ground is the way to go.. just seems tough to do with a boat. If we could cure that.....

Grimracer

Im not seeing any thing new coming out of this thread.. there is some good stuff in here however.. maybe we can sum up what the ideas are and post them together? That way we can get a clear picture of what ideas our members have.

Don,

Dictate? :lol:

That was not an answer or a cure as much as an idea.. dont you think tossing out an idea is better then no idea at all? Coffee time man.. ;)

Chill dude...Remember Don im with you if it must be a DBs.. static on the ground is the way to go.. just seems tough to do with a boat. If we could cure that.....

Grimracer

Im not seeing any thing new coming out of this thread.. there is some good stuff in here however.. maybe we can sum up what the ideas are and post them together? That way we can get a clear picture of what ideas our members have.
Well you were kinda hard core in a couple replies in your wanting to put it to "certified" pipes. ;)

The static testing is EASY, the motorcycle guys have been doing it successfully for years. The BIG problem is calibration, we need to get past that & the rest will fall into place. Once you get people's meters reading to the same benchmark & create guidlines for a static testing then whatever pond you're at won't mean squat. B)

I will testing more pipe options in the coming weeks I look forward to posting about more (& cheaper) options that work. BTW- one boater was so awestruck by how fast & quiet the Macs pipes were on my twin at the ODMBA race that he ordered 3 from Macs. Yup, they're expensive but **** quiet. B)

Hey gang, please forgive me if someone has already mentioned this, (I got side tracked when this thread started talking about DB meters, so haven't read all pages...), but has anyone looked into isolating the flex cable with one of THESE COUPLERS?

coupler.jpg

I was just looking at eBay (gotta quit that...) when I saw it there. I can't imagine that the Lord type mount would last very long, but they're cheap enough to replace. I don't like the set screw part, but a flex-hex or square drive nut might replace that... Anyone in the UK or Europe using these?

Duane
Duane, Those couplings are for use with a solid 1/4 shaft supported in bearings. You can't use them with a flexi shaft because the unsupported part of the coupling will immediately run out of true and destroy the shaft system and the probably the boat hull too.

Dave

Back