Quieting Boats down

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I recently tried a new style of add on muffler that I had Steve Cooper make. Found that it took my system (CMB 80 w/67-80 big belly pipe) from 95db down to 89db. Performance results were VERY good. Steve is making a slight change that I suggested and will let you know in a few weeks.
That's great news Stu! :)

Learned something yesterday. Did not quieten my boat down, but quietened everyones elses down. After doing some research earlier I had a brain storm, well not really a storm, but a drizzle of an idea. We had an inter- club fun race yesterday at the Jackson, Tn. lake. I asked Mark Hopper to bring the club DB meter. I scavenged up some materials and on the tail gate of my pickup fabricated a "Hillbilly Anechoic Chamber". This consisted of an empty O'Reilly oil case (Dumpster diving), discontinued design acoustical ceiling tile from Lowes( Cheap), 1" thick polyurethane foam board ( Scrap), 3/4" stryofoam board (Scrap), an empty Go Jo hand cleaner container ( Dumpster diving) and the ever essential Duct Tape. Lined the box with different layers of the materials starting with the denser layer to the outside and progressing to the least dense on the inside to absorb as much of the reflected sounds, the external sounds and the enviromential sounds ( Wind, Ect) as I could. Cut a round hole in one end to fit the Go Jo container. Cut the end out of the Go Jo container, lined it with foam to make the chamber sensitive to sound only from one direction and inserted this into the hole in the box. Cut a small hole in the opposite side of the chamber for the DB meter. This being pointed at the opening of the Go Jo container with nothing between the meter and the sound. The results were very interesting. Moving the meter from the outside of the chamber to the inside of the chamber resulted in about a 3 to 5 DB DROP in the sound level. With the meter inside of the chamber it was very selective to the direction of the sound source. Hardly affected unless the boat was directly in front of the opening of the anechoic chamber. One other thing that really got my attention was when someone walked between the anechoic chamber and the passing boat, the sound level INCREASED. Sometimes as much as 3 DB. This wasn't a very scientific test but it did show that we could control some of the variables. Maybe something that should be looked into in the monitoring the sound levels of our boats. One other piece of information that I found is that the human body resonates at ABOUT 400hz. This figures out at about 24,000 rpm in boat language. Could be one cause of the different DB readings from the same boat. Too many Lookie- Loo's around the DB meter. Just my thoughts. :)

Learned something yesterday. Did not quieten my boat down, but quietened everyones elses down. After doing some research earlier I had a brain storm, well not really a storm, but a drizzle of an idea. We had an inter- club fun race yesterday at the Jackson, Tn. lake. I asked Mark Hopper to bring the club DB meter. I scavenged up some materials and on the tail gate of my pickup fabricated a "Hillbilly Anechoic Chamber". This consisted of an empty O'Reilly oil case (Dumpster diving), discontinued design acoustical ceiling tile from Lowes( Cheap), 1" thick polyurethane foam board ( Scrap), 3/4" stryofoam board (Scrap), an empty Go Jo hand cleaner container ( Dumpster diving) and the ever essential Duct Tape. Lined the box with different layers of the materials starting with the denser layer to the outside and progressing to the least dense on the inside to absorb as much of the reflected sounds, the external sounds and the enviromential sounds ( Wind, Ect) as I could. Cut a round hole in one end to fit the Go Jo container. Cut the end out of the Go Jo container, lined it with foam to make the chamber sensitive to sound only from one direction and inserted this into the hole in the box. Cut a small hole in the opposite side of the chamber for the DB meter. This being pointed at the opening of the Go Jo container with nothing between the meter and the sound. The results were very interesting. Moving the meter from the outside of the chamber to the inside of the chamber resulted in about a 3 to 5 DB DROP in the sound level. With the meter inside of the chamber it was very selective to the direction of the sound source. Hardly affected unless the boat was directly in front of the opening of the anechoic chamber. One other thing that really got my attention was when someone walked between the anechoic chamber and the passing boat, the sound level INCREASED. Sometimes as much as 3 DB. This wasn't a very scientific test but it did show that we could control some of the variables. Maybe something that should be looked into in the monitoring the sound levels of our boats. One other piece of information that I found is that the human body resonates at ABOUT 400hz. This figures out at about 24,000 rpm in boat language. Could be one cause of the different DB readings from the same boat. Too many Lookie- Loo's around the DB meter. Just my thoughts. :)
Very interesting test Charles. What you did was isolate the dB meter from the surrounding noise and made it more directional. Who said the we boys down here in the south are dumm and fell off a watermelon truck.

Because we did not fall off a watermelon truck it was a cotton wagon.

Mark

It should deaden sound well, but what does it weigh, and is it fuel and water resistant...?
Don't have a clue...maybe it warrants some testing.

PS...Happy B-day!

Last edited by a moderator:
Having that stuff all over the car is one thing. The weight of the material will change all your build specs. I an SURE it will work. It will depend on the grade that you use.

Fuel proof would require you to use the type with the foil outer layer. It is used in the motor bay of the the car and the underside of the hood.

Very interesting test Charles. What you did was isolate the dB meter from the surrounding noise and made it more directional. Who said the we boys down here in the south are dumm and fell off a watermelon truck.

Mark
Ya! , Me and Cooper were eating chilly and farting every time Mark went by the meter at the Nats :p
Just Kidding Mark!!!! Don't take it seriously! We only did it when Mr Waddle went by. :D

Mark
Ya! , Me and Cooper were eating chilly and farting every time Mark went by the meter at the Nats :p
Just Kidding Mark!!!! Don't take it seriously! We only did it when Mr Waddle went by. :D
ok Charles i just got to know how you came up with your idea????? Have you done more testing.......Mike

Mark
So that is why I blew up the meter.

Mark
ok Charles i just got to know how you came up with your idea????? Have you done more testing.......Mike
Kelly Wilson, who is running for District 5 Director, asked me to look into different options concerning the 92 DB rule that was passed by the members of IMPBA.

The small anechoic chamber is one of those options. Crude as the first ptototype was, it was surprisingly effective in isolating the DB meter from the background and enviromential noises affecting the consistency of the meter readings. I am now looking into different materials and designs to maximize the isolation effect.

Kelly Wilson is a forward thinking person that is very qualified in being the District 5 Director. He is a level headed, open minded and mature leader that would not only be an asset to District 5, IMPBA, but also to model boating in general. He is looking into a lot of areas that will make this a better and more enjoyable hobby for everyone. He has my vote.

Thanks for asking about our project. I will keep you posted on our progress. When we are satisfied with the results, I will make pictures, drawings and a material list avaliable to everyone that wants them. :)

Mark
Well Wesley, atleast we know the truth now. I personnally do not know who you are but i do not believe Mr Cooper would do that to anyone.

O' by the way I have plenty of M-80's to throw at the meter the next time you go by the meter and I am there (just to repay you) and if that does not work there is always plan

b,c,d,e,f,g,h,i,j,k,l,m,n,o,p,q,r,s,t,u,v,w,x,y,z,a2,b2,c2 and this list goes on.

You know the worst thing about me is that is hard to tell if i am joking or not

Allen

P.S.

Also on a side you note you had better invent or invest in some type of megaphone to get that tooter of yours up to the level that it will take me to get disqualified if that is your intention.

Please lets keep this thread on track. We need to discuss real ideas that can work not political of slanderous stuff.

You want to do that create a different thread.

Thank You

Brian

Please lets keep this thread on track. We need to discuss real ideas that can work not political of slanderous stuff.

You want to do that create a different thread.

Thank You

Brian

You know, Irwin Quite pipes seem to work great also. I have on on a TT motor, and will be putting one on a MAC OB and it just takes abit more time to find the spot, well atelast it did for me, but the quietness pays off in the long run!

Rodney

I run the irwin quiet on my 7.5 tunnel. I win lots of races with it and the boat is as fast as anyother out there. Boat runs real quiet.

You are right it takes a bit to find the sweet spot on Irwins pipes but once you do it is worth the chase.

I run the Cooper Quiet pipe on my 20 mono, I currently hold 1st in the district 6 championship and took 2nd in the district 4 championship with the boat. It is also very fast and super quiet.

I am going to add build reports to this for my new mono's and hope to provide pictures of the things I will be trying to make the boat as quiet as possible.

Brian

Hey Brian,

That new Cooper 21 Quiet pipe is a winner!

We put them on a couple of Mac powered Seaducers and wow.

I can pull more prop than ever before and there Quiet.

Now before I get flamed,I know my new RS meter isn't calibreted,but

I'm seeing and using it to watch improvements.

My 21 Seaducer is foam lined.Lastly I ran a Paoabolic Fat pipe and an add on muffler.

That combo was at 86db.With the new Cooper we're seeing 81-82db.And with a speed improvement.

I'm also playing with 45 pipes on my Mac powered SGX and Seaducer.Haven't run the Seaducer yet but the SGX,I Just haven't hit the sweet spot on that one yet.

But the 21 pipe,thumbs up. :)

I would just like to add something for everyone to chew on..

I talked to stu barr last week, he went to the jolet race.. sat night after the race he said he did some testing.. his 60/80 hydro was running somewhere around 84db ( correct me if i am wrong stu )..

Sunday. with a stronger wind and out of a different direction during the race his boat ran 89-90 db..

If wind direction plays that big of a part in all of this then a d.b meter is as good as the juice machine people by on home shopping network. LOL!! had to say that

chris

I would just like to add something for everyone to chew on..

I talked to stu barr last week, he went to the jolet race.. sat night after the race he said he did some testing.. his 60/80 hydro was running somewhere around 84db ( correct me if i am wrong stu )..

Sunday. with a stronger wind and out of a different direction during the race his boat ran 89-90 db..

If wind direction plays that big of a part in all of this then a d.b meter is as good as the juice machine people by on home shopping network. LOL!! had to say that

chris
Once again- PLEASE! .... let's keep this thread on track, this post offers nothing about positive results from something PHYSICALLY done to a boat to reduce the noise levels. <_<

Back