Questions about NAMBA "Stock" Outboard rulings.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
david, the rule you posted says "in addition to" the stock needle......not part of. there cannot be a rule for every possible variation of something. if it doesn't say you can, you can't, that's the way rules have worked in all forms of racing i have been involved in over the years, both rc & full scale. but that is a nice setup on the ob rigger engine you posted. i run a traditional third channel on the inside of the transom of my ob rigger.

Well Jerry I too would deem it illegal because it supposed to come out of the box that way. In the rules it tells you what you can change and still be stock. That aint one of them.

Mike

This kind of reminds me of the whole "polishing OS head" fiasco at a IMPBA race last year!!!!... :ph34r: It may have just been a stock head that was polished, (although removing anodizing changes heating/cooling characteristics), but if you have to pull screws to make sure, then it exceeds the intent of the "stock" rules.

Hughes is correct, if it's not "box stock" other than the "allowed changes", its illegal. I don't like gray, it causes drama! I don't like drama, it causes hurt feelings!........ :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
Should have not been an Issue at that IMPBA event.. (Stock appearing IS the rule)

Plus IMPBA does not have a "Stock" class so removing the screws would have done nothing to change the outcome.

Grim

Should have not been an Issue at that IMPBA event.. (Stock appearing IS the rule)

Plus IMPBA does not have a "Stock" class so removing the screws would have done nothing to change the outcome.

Grim
Grim,

The "removing the screws" comment was simply my interpretation of what I felt was the intention of the IMPBA "Stock Appearing" rule when it was created. It has nothing to do with the outcome.

In other words, if the engine from the outside looks like a stock engine, then it is legal. If there is no blue anodizing on the head button and/or jacket, it is no longer "stock appearing" and deemed illegal without the need of removing it for inspection. This modification would have also been deemed illegal in NAMBA. Just wanted to clarify my statement so this thread does not get side-tracked. Thanks!!.... ;)

Thanks man

The reason for the "stock appearing" and bore size callouts was to eliminate the need for a teardown.

Grim

Thanks man

The reason for the "stock appearing" and bore size callouts was to eliminate the need for a teardown.

Grim
Yep, that's what I think too..... ;) So much to gain with setup and prop just not sure why some still insist on "going there"........ :blink:

Thanks man

Grim
Yep, that's what I think too..... ;) So much to gain with setup and prop just not sure why some still insist on "going there"........ :blink:
I'm not sure what "going there" means. However, I do know that it is possible to obtain performance gains in an O.S. 21 Outboard through modification of internal components - piston/sleeve and crankshaft.

I have a very fine running VS1 powered by an O.S. 21 V.2 that is NAMBA stock. The boat is fast - tied for first with John Otto at Hobart in 2011(lost in the run off), placed 4th out of 26 boats at the 2012 Hobart event. The boat/engine holds the current NAMBA 6 lap, one mile competition record(OK, my son Paul was driving the boat at that event).

At Hobart, my engine running it's best, is at least a couple of "Ks" lower in RPMs than some of the other engines. Guys are running engines with internal modifications and I don't have an issue with that.

So, JD what's your point? "Going there"(internal engine modifications) can/does make a difference and that's why people either do it or pay to have it done. If I raced in the IMPBA, I'd have my engine "blessed" by one of the engine gurus. But, for one race a year it's not something I believe worth the expense.

JD(Running Model Outboard Tunnel Boats Since 1975)

Thanks man

Grim
I'm not sure what "going there" means. However, I do know that it is possible to obtain performance gains in an O.S. 21 Outboard through modification of internal components - piston/sleeve and crankshaft.

I have a very fine running VS1 powered by an O.S. 21 V.2 that is NAMBA stock. The boat is fast - tied for first with John Otto at Hobart in 2011(lost in the run off), placed 4th out of 26 boats at the 2012 Hobart event. The boat/engine holds the current NAMBA 6 lap, one mile competition record(OK, my son Paul was driving the boat at that event).

At Hobart, my engine running it's best, is at least a couple of "Ks" lower in RPMs than some of the other engines. Guys are running engines with internal modifications and I don't have an issue with that.

So, JD what's your point? "Going there"(internal engine modifications) can/does make a difference and that's why people either do it or pay to have it done. If I raced in the IMPBA, I'd have my engine "blessed" by one of the engine gurus. But, for one race a year it's not something I believe worth the expense.

JD(Running Model Outboard Tunnel Boats Since 1975)
Hahaha. Ok Jerry, "going there" didn't mean not modifying your INTERNAL engine, (we ALL know that's worth it in IMPBA), it means not pushing the envelope on EXTERNAL parts because it's not worth it....... ;)

I dont race IMPBA sport tunnel with any changes to the motor eather. If I get beat I get beat. I dont care. I feel its best to represent my motor sponsor with the motor they supply me.

It still wins races from time to time

Grim

It's interesting how many of these very heated discussions there are about issues suronding the stock classes. Maybe both NAMBA and IMPBA are listening and might offer some tools for better interpreting the rules so we don't have to continually "go there". Maybe a set of common rulings to make sure the rules are applied the same way all the time in every district and race?

D

David,

Only if you continuously run both IMPBA and NAMBA races, should it be an issue. NAMBA is stock, IMPBA is stock appearing, which means internal improvements can be made as long as what you do on the inside, does not change how it looked on the outside when you took it out of the box, including carb and muffler opening sizes. Whatever parts it had, it keeps. Parts it didn't have, don't need to be there. The only outside changes allowed must be below the cavitation plate. Seems fairly clear and as Bill stated, has worked for many years. "Going there", is just going to open up the chance that someone will protest, as they should. If more people would step-up when they see an infraction, it would help eliminate these practices. If you race within both organizations and want to maximize your power, have two legal motors, one for each. If you don't want to go through that amount of hassle, follow Grim's lead and run the NAMBA motor in both classes.

If those that race will adhere to the rules as stated and intended, and not continuously keep "going there", it would eliminate a lot of drama at the pond. There is nothing more rewarding than kicking someone's butt on the water, and have them protest only to find a perfectly legal motor. Setup wins everytime!!!!....... :D

Back