Pt sport 20 repair recomendations.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmunn

I have a few ideas but wanted to know what you guys thought for repairs .I was going to re-construct as much as possible using devcon slow epoxy and glass cloth or matt and shape sand and prime and match it with a similar paint and clear it.

Well the priming and painting and clear will prolly have to be hired out.You guys know anyone who could help a guy ot at a resonable price.If not i will tackle it myself.

I screwed up and was driving my buddies yellow yellow Pt sport 20 when we came around the turn i though he was the one heading for the rocks :(

Thanks for having a look guys.

pics might help !!!! here ya go.

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't think your the only one, wrecked a brand new 67 rigger driving the wrong boat out of the turn. Lucky sponsons not hurt, order new cowl from Phil, have to repaint anyway. Glue in thin ply backing and cloth and glass the tub. Good luck. B) B)

Don't think your the only one, wrecked a brand new 67 rigger driving the wrong boat out of the turn. Lucky sponsons not hurt, order new cowl from Phil, have to repaint anyway. Glue in thin ply backing and cloth and glass the tub. Good luck. B) B)
Terry id get some blue foam and cut it to fit close. Then id use west epoxy and some 4oz cloth anlong with some cabosil to fill in and make it nice. Dont use Devcon the boats made of West. Be sure to clean it all with thinner before you start. If you were here in USA id say send it to me and id fix it.......

That looks like a $250 repair, If it was me a new hull would be less headache.

Are you an insurance adjustor ,

or did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ????? :p

Andy

I am not really sure if thats a dig at me or not, I was just stating that it looks like a lot of damage and if it was my hull I would probably get a new hull.

I am not really sure if thats a dig at me or not, I was just stating that it looks like a lot of damage and if it was my hull I would probably get a new hull.

Sorry Raydee- Rick's rubbing off of on me :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Just kidding , really..... ;)

Andy

Are you an insurance adjustor ,

or did you stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night ????? :p

Andy
:lol: :lol: :lol: I've seen worse(hit a retrive boat about 20 years ago). Listen to Ray and Mikey. Light wood such as ply or soft pine is easy to form, weighs very little. light f/g cloth over that with West epoxy. Good Luck, Glenn

I have a few ideas but wanted to know what you guys thought for repairs .I was going to re-construct as much as possible using devcon slow epoxy and glass cloth or matt and shape sand and prime and match it with a similar paint and clear it.
Well the priming and painting and clear will prolly have to be hired out.You guys know anyone who could help a guy ot at a resonable price.If not i will tackle it myself.

I screwed up and was driving my buddies yellow yellow Pt sport 20 when we came around the turn i though he was the one heading for the rocks :(

Thanks for having a look guys.

pics might help !!!! here ya go.
Too Bad but happens to all of us.

Yes a new cowl would be best. hard to get that cowl to fit and be strong enough not to break agian.

I have one sitting here too if it was the streamline style not the turbine.

The hull wont be much trouble, use a spruce stick epoxy in across the nose then fill in with foam or balsa coated with cloth and epoxy.

email me PHIL T

That boat is DEFINATLY repairable if you are willing to spend a little time to do it right, and any of the suggestions regarding how to repair it will work.....there is a very good chance that your repair will be as good as or better than what you started with...And like Phil said...It happens to all of us sooner or later!!

I have some blue foam and some cloth , not sure how many oz it is but i worked fine on an hatch i repaired on a ac cat last winter.I have missed fiberglass as well as microballoons could i use either one of those as filler.

I will give it a try when i get to it this winter and keep you guys posted.I am going to give the cowl a try as well becuase it's was done up real nice.I am going to ttry and repair the nose and have it flashed in if at all possible.

Mike S do you think the cowl can be repaired.

Phil send me your e-mail in a pm I lost most of my contacts.I just sent a guy your way and gave him your website as well.I had been racing your hull in a 20 size in Maine and had lots of nice comments and this guy is going to build one this winter.

Ron is his name.

Terry

I have some blue foam and some cloth , not sure how many oz it is but i worked fine on an hatch i repaired on a ac cat last winter.I have missed fiberglass as well as microballoons could i use either one of those as filler.
I will give it a try when i get to it this winter and keep you guys posted.I am going to give the cowl a try as well becuase it's was done up real nice.I am going to ttry and repair the nose and have it flashed in if at all possible.

Phil send me your e-mail in a pm I lost most of my contacts.I just sent a guy your way and gave him your website as well.I had been racing your hull in a 20 size in Maine and had lots of nice comments and this guy is going to build one this winter.

Ron is his name.

Terry
Anything can be repaired if you have the time to spend on it. Mike Hughes on here tottally rebuilt a rigger that was destroyed. The key is take your time and think about what you want to do then do it.

Ron is his name.

Terry
OK Thanks have Ron email me or call 217 358 3167

Email was on my post i will have to use caps i guess :rolleyes:

[email protected]

CLEAN-CLEAN-and CLEAN again the area and surrounding area where your gonna be doing any work, lacquer thinner acitone just about anything that you can reduce paint with is good (nothing oil based)- Dont waste the cash on "west systems" for this repair, plenty of other epoxies out there that will do the same job for lots less, If you feel the need for west with this repair ,just wright phil a check for a new hull cause the repair will end up costing you WAY more than it should..other than that everything posted here will work fine to fix the damage, kinda your choice how you do it.

well not to start any arguments....I mentioned devcon becuase i have used it on sponson tips, seems, and cloth before and it did real well.When this boat hit the rocks it pulled the aluminum pipe mount right out of the epoxy and the epoxy never budged from the flooe which had been painted cleaned and roughened up prior to epoxy application.

When i used the devcon during year one to fill some pinholes in the tub and the decided to remove it and sand and paint and prime, the devcon had quite the bite and i had to use course paper to get it off.

Thanks to everyone for the help and i'll keep ya posted.I was able to put some of the peices back in like a jigsaw puzzle so now the hole is not so gaping and the epoxy should fill the area i want it to and not run out while i put something over the hole hold it in while forming to the conture of the hull..

Pics will follow.

well not to start any arguments

NOW you gone and did it--LOL

seriously if its water proof --will bond good--strong--and is something your comfortable using --it dont really mater what it is -out of 100 people asked your gonna find 75 different answers on how the best way is to do it---the other 25 guys are agreeing with one of the other 75(AKA the sheep lol)

Back