Pt sport 20 repair recomendations.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here's the light weight (non structural) filler I like:
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/microlight.php

Mix it with epoxy til it's real thick and it sands like budda. :D
I am getting a new PTSS21 soon and this time I was thinking of the Epoxy/Microballoon mixture for filling in all the pin holes. I figure it will be lighter than body filler and real easy to sand. Will that stuff work?

It'll work but I think there's better products for pinholes. I use thinned down (acetone) bondo, brush it on and sand it off, others have mantioned a BVM product...

I am getting a new PTSS21 soon and this time I was thinking of the Epoxy/Microballoon mixture for filling in all the pin holes. I figure it will be lighter than body filler and real easy to sand. Will that stuff work?

It'll work but I think there's better products for pinholes. I use thinned down (acetone) bondo, brush it on and sand it off, others have mantioned a BVM product...
Use common wall spackle for pinholes, just two coats sanded off and primed is all you need to do. sands off easily and doesnt make more pinholes like harder fillers would do.

Use common wall spackle for pinholes, just two coats sanded off and primed is all you need to do. sands off easily and doesnt make more pinholes like harder fillers would do.

There ya go, BTW, Happy Birthday Phil!!! :lol:

Phil I did that on my SS45 but I found that when I primed the hull it seemed to eat at the spackle and I had to refill the holes again. Maybe I put the primer on too heavy. THis time around I will try to mist the first coat of primer on and see what happens.

Phil I did that on my SS45 but I found that when I primed the hull it seemed to eat at the spackle and I had to refill the holes again. Maybe I put the primer on too heavy. THis time around I will try to mist the first coat of primer on and see what happens.
The key to spackle is NEVER touch the boat with any thinner or cleaner before you prime it. It will wash it right out. After the first coat of primer be careful with thinners/cleaners

The key to spackle is NEVER touch the boat with any thinner or cleaner before you prime it. It will wash it right out. After the first coat of primer be careful with thinners/cleaners
Ok good to know.

Ok good to know.
Ialways did two coats dry sanded before the primer, any left over after the first primer i used some red filler and did another coat of primer.

Yes any thinner or water wash will take out the spackle.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's been a while since i posted and i have started the boat itself and will get to the cowl later on :D

This what i was trying to save by not getting another cowl.I started repairs with the west since i needed it for something else anyway(hawk rebuild).

Maybe it's just me but if i can repair the front end and save the decals and some of the great work on the rear I figure why not try it.I may be wrong we'll see.

Terry

Just in case someone was wondering and i finally got a chance to start on the sport 20repairs and here is where i am at.

These are just the strutural areas being put mack together with west and light glass cloth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back