Prop re-pitching and casting.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man what kind of weed do you guys have in Canada? Hahahaha

Only the best man, only the best!

They say it should be legal up here by next summer so you can come and have a puff around the campfire at the Can-Am if you so desire.
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Third times a charm! Good to see what's really going on with the camera, you don't see any of the sparks or smoke under the welding hood. Only a nice shiny liquid blob.
default_smile.png

Terry I notice you have an Emco Compact 5 lathe along with the Emco Super 11, can I ask your opinion on the little Compact 5. Re its accuracy & general ability on smallish work, do you get much chatter generally from the machine considering that it also uses plain ballraces on the headstock spindle & not taper roller bearings. Its just that I have been offered a like new Compact 5 lathe that I was considering. I to like you had a TIA back in early June 2017 but only spent a week in hospital, mine only affected my vision ( terrible double vision ) & balance to which my vision returned to normal after about 3 weeks. Hope you are progressing with your recovery. Many thanks & regards Martin.

Terry I notice you have an Emco Compact 5 lathe along with the Emco Super 11, can I ask your opinion on the little Compact 5. Re its accuracy & general ability on smallish work, do you get much chatter generally from the machine considering that it also uses plain ballraces on the headstock spindle & not taper roller bearings. Its just that I have been offered a like new Compact 5 lathe that I was considering. I to like you had a TIA back in early June 2017 but only spent a week in hospital, mine only affected my vision ( terrible double vision ) & balance to which my vision returned to normal after about 3 weeks. Hope you are progressing with your recovery. Many thanks & regards Martin.

The C5 is a great little machine for hobby stuff, as long as you take light cuts (0.025" aluminum / 0.015" steel). It is deadly accurate and can dust tenths all day long. Accessories are getting scarce but do come up on FleeBay, what does the one your looking at come with? Regular bearings are not an issue at all but I did replace mine with ABEC 7 spindle bearings when I was doing some grinding with it.

Yup, I'm a lucky boy to get the warning shot, that's why I posted about it. Know a guy in another hobby I'm involved with just mention he has the same loss of vision I had a year ago and it never got diagnosed, he's going for testing next week.

When you say 0.025" cuts do you mean taking 0.025" off the diameter or radius, in the UK their are still lots of quality made accessories still available for the C5 still made in Austria but I understand these are made by another company for Emco Hobby machines . When I was in hospital in the UK I had 2 ct scans & 1 mri scan, what they found was a blood clot in some tiny blood vessels at the back of my brain that go to the affected eye. Once the clot had cleared both eyes were able to focus together rather than seeing the same object twice ( both eyes were looking at different areas to one another ). Now back to what seems normality im on Statins for life for cholesterol control & blood pressure tablets for life & aspirin a day, not sure if the aspirin will be for life yet.

I used to have the forerunner to your Super 11 the Emco V10 P lathe ( great lathe ) for around 21 years ( 1994 - 2015 ) . This was a 1977 machine but had a gear in the headstock explode causing terminal damage inside the headstock ( simply not viable to repair on an old machine with parts so scarce & very expensive if you could find some ). Nowadays I only want something for making smaller parts ie drive dogs, flex stub shafts, couplings etc etc, I am still not sure if I want to chance going with one of the various Chinese made lathes though.

When you say 0.025" cuts do you mean taking 0.025" off the diameter or radius, in the UK their are still lots of quality made accessories still available for the C5 still made in Austria but I understand these are made by another company for Emco Hobby machines . When I was in hospital in the UK I had 2 ct scans & 1 mri scan, what they found was a blood clot in some tiny blood vessels at the back of my brain that go to the affected eye. Once the clot had cleared both eyes were able to focus together rather than seeing the same object twice ( both eyes were looking at different areas to one another ). Now back to what seems normality im on Statins for life for cholesterol control & blood pressure tablets for life & aspirin a day, not sure if the aspirin will be for life yet.
Yes, 0.025" cuts or 0.050" off the diameter, that's max tho and it's happier with lighter cuts.

Not sure if the new machines made "offshore" are up to the same standard as the older Austrian made ones, I would have my doubts. You're lucky to have Pro machine there, lots of parts and accessories: http://www.emcomachinetools.co.uk/

Amazing what medicine can do today eh? I too am on Lipitor for life, aspirin and a low dose of blood pressure medication. Hope to get off the BP meds and aspirin too.

I used to have the forerunner to your Super 11 the Emco V10 P lathe ( great lathe ) for around 21 years ( 1994 - 2015 ) . This was a 1977 machine but had a gear in the headstock explode causing terminal damage inside the headstock ( simply not viable to repair on an old machine with parts so scarce & very expensive if you could find some ). Nowadays I only want something for making smaller parts ie drive dogs, flex stub shafts, couplings etc etc, I am still not sure if I want to chance going with one of the various Chinese made lathes though.

The guys on the VP 10 Yahoo group really like their machines but the gearbox was a problem as you stated. I really, really like my Super 11 with the D1-4 spindle. I find myself using the 5C collets a lot and with 1 3/8" through the spindle that makes some jobs very easy. It too can dust tenths all day long.

I'd stay away from the China lathes if at all possible, once you've had your hands on some Austrian iron I'm sure you will be disappointed...

If you don't want equipment from China, stay away from Grizzly and Micromark. It's almost all made in China or Taiwan. I'll stick with my US made Sherlines. They're not as big or nice as the European equipment but they do the job

Gave up on the 17-4 stainless steel, too hard to melt consistently w/o vacuum and an induction heater. Going to try the same BeCu alloy Octura uses, melts around the temp of gold and is supposed to cast very well, just won't be able to bend on them after hardening, oh well.

The mold I had made wasn't cut very well so I did my own with some clear RTV compound, getting much better wax now. Hope to do some casting in the next few days.
default_smile.png

DSCN5761.JPG

DSCN5717.JPG

DSCN5720.JPG

DSCN5726.JPG

DSCN5733.JPG

DSCN5715.JPG

I'm looking into oxy/propane and a rosebud heating tip but I'm getting there...

Hi T

Be careful with the open flame if you go that way, keep the BeCu in a crucible or heavy container to apply the flame to and not directly to the material. Don't hurry it to pouring temperature as the Be will gas off - not good for your health or the alloy.

Thanks John

Using an oxy/acetylene torch and rosebud tip I think I got a good casting. The trick was to blanket the crucible with argon and melt it fast.

I'll give the 17-4 stainless another shot in a bit...
default_tongue.png

DSCN5755.JPG

You boy's could learn a thing or 2 from knife maker's and blade smith's! Truth is your only trying to cut water! And they know a thing or 2 about heat treating! May not be a practical solution for rc boat props but differential heat treatment has been used in Japanese sword making for a few year's now! Buy Blade magazine for few suggestions! What i cannot work out is why spend 30-40 hour's building what could amount to a hand grenade prop when the same prop could be used as a slave! laser profiled kept on file and then manufactured by cnc in ANY material known to man! It's about as smart as collecting water in a sieve!no offense

Back