Prop re-pitching and casting.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks, hopefully this jeweller will be able to do the casting for me.
default_smile.png

how can I get one of the modified 2170 props modified for my GAS eagle SGX ...JOHN BASS...941*451*3585....THEY LOOK AWSOME

So when will we have TK props.Like to put my order in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Chrome cobalt alloys like those for partial denture frames should work well for props. I believe that alloy has been used on many commercial record setting props, especially for high power electric motors. I ran one on the gas scale boat that Kelly Gruol drove to the 2 lap record. The local dental lab in my area uses a vacuum melting and casting process. The centrifugal casting machine you have was used years ago but should work with the right alloy and an inert gas shielded torch flame. Find a lab in your area and see what alloy they use. My local lab quoted $80 to cast a prop from a furnished wax pattern. Brass & bronze alloys will cast a lot easier, though. One of my classmates used an ox/acetylene torch with a centrifugal casting machine to cast jewelry from brazing rod .

Lohring Miller

Last edited:
Chrome cobalt alloys like those for partial denture frames should work well for props. I believe that alloy has been used on many commercial record setting props, especially for high power electric motors. I ran one on the gas scale boat that Kelly Gruol drove to the 2 lap record. The local dental lab in my area uses a vacuum melting and casting process. The centrifugal casting machine you have was used years ago but should work with the right alloy and an inert gas shielded torch flame. Find a lab in your area and see what alloy they use. My local lab quoted $80 to cast a prop from a furnished wax pattern. Brass & bronze alloys will cast a lot easier, though. One of my classmates used an ox/acetylene torch with a centrifugal casting machine to cast jewelry from brazing rod .

Lohring Miller
Thanks Lohring, that's what I suspected. I did get a couple props cast in CoCr but wasn't happy with the finish on the bore or the drive dog, that's why I'm leaving mine solid and will finish after casting. That and CoCr is hard stuff! Regular tools don't touch it, you need diamond! $$$
default_ohmy.png

I'm going to try one of the heat-treatable stainless steels that can get to a tensile strength of 210,000 psi, every bit as strong as most CoCr alloys but more workable.

I started this hoping a jeweller could do it, but, it's getting complicated so I decided to bring it "in house". The alloy I'll try melts in the 2600F range so that's quite a bit more than they're used to when casting silver and gold. Platinum is a little higher at 3200F but jewellers that do it are "high end" and expensive. The equipment I'm going to use is all rated for Platinum so hopefully it'll work well.
default_smile.png

ps: I just looked at the properties of those dental alloys and this SS "as cast" will be stronger...

Last edited by a moderator:
Terry can you explain how it works, I havn't got a clue how you can get a prop with these machines.
Very basically you make a high temp plaster mold of the wax prop, melt (burn) out the wax then sling molted metal into it. There's quite a bit of technique involved so I'm lucky to draw on a bunch of experience from a couple local guys.
default_smile.png

Back