Poll-Orginal Silver Bullet 21

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

To those that have run the Orginal Silver Buller Pipe

• very satisified

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • somewhat satisfies

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • just "ok"

• it sucks!

• Total voters
If the org pipe was all that good as reading the reviews, why did he come up with a new design pipe and just cancel the the old one. Think real hard about it!

Both pipes are still available. Nothing has been cancelled. Just a different design to fit a different prop/motor/boat setup.

Mike

If the org pipe was all that good as reading the reviews, why did he come up with a new design pipe and just cancel the the old one. Think real hard about it!
I would imagine he was trying to make something good even better just like he does all his products!

I would imagine he was trying to make something good even better just like he does all his products!
I can see who signs your paychecks.
Sorry I didn't mean to offend you by saying something intelligent.........just kidding I'm not sorry.

Sorry I didn't mean to offend you by saying something intelligent.........just kidding I'm not sorry.
You haven't offened me.. tell my something intelligent if you can. Maybe pretty hard for you!

You haven't offened me.. tell my something intelligent if you can. Maybe pretty hard for you!

Glad to hear I have not "offened" you....don't have the time for no more of this got paychecks to cash!

A few days ago I recieved a email from someone very disappointed with his Orginal Silver Buller pipe. I will not mention his name, that is not my intent. He says that it was the source of all his troubles and that it "Sucks"He told me all he want through trying to get it to run and he put on another pipe and it ran fine. I'm not doubting that knowing that one pipe does not always work on all applications. I guess what I'm after here is the opinion of those that have had one. I'm really opening myself up here but I'm a big boy and I can take whatever comes. Take the poll and prove him right or wrong! Comments welcome!

Mark Hopper
As far I've been reading all these pro's and con's about the the pipe and people saying what a great job Mark is doing and so far but not person has said anything about the difference in the two pipes and everyone reading this knows what I'm talking about. I've heard stories about one pipe is for low nitro and another person said its for high exhaust timing. Lets stop the bs and get down to the brass facts and let people know the answer. So Mr. Mark Hopper put your cards on the table and tell people why you come up with a new pipe (HP). Also you should post on your web site what pipe runs the best on motors. We all know running O/B tunnels is a game of balance and mix and getting the right setup. All the bs answers on your poll means is a hill of beans. So Mark explain your two pipes.. I'm sure everyone would love to hear your answer. People pay tons of money for a small pipe and to hear you have the wrong setup gets old. Well Mr. Mark Hopper lets hear your answer without the bs.

Good Morning:

My husband and myself racked 21 tunnels and my husband is my crew chief. We had an original silver bullet on my Lee Craft and it did not run for anything. So my husband suggested to take off the pipe and the boat ran fantanstic with another pipe.

We believe that your suggestion about the pipe was inaccurate. Your previous correspondence with the discrunted owner was incorrect. We believe that he was right.

Have a good day.

Shecraft

Good Morning: 

My husband and myself racked 21 tunnels and my husband is my crew chief. We had an original silver bullet on my Lee Craft and it did not run for anything. So my husband suggested to take off the pipe and the boat ran fantanstic with another pipe.

We believe that your suggestion about the pipe was inaccurate. Your previous correspondence with the discrunted owner was incorrect. We believe that he was right.

Have a good day.

Shecraft
Wonder who this could be?

Chuck, obviously you are this "very unhappy customer" that Mark speaks of, we get it.

Do you know why and how a tuned exhaust works? No really, do you know? If you knew that, you would also know there is NO WAY a manufacturer can make a pipe that works the BEST on the large range of motors we use. With that being said, pipe manufacturers have to come up with the best all purpose pipe that they can. Mark has done that, as well as Irwin, and a few others.

There is no underlying message or conspiracy as to why Mark makes an "Original" and a "HP" version for his 3.5 pipe, and to imply that there is, is absurd. Its simply a matter of having options. Irwin has also had many different pipes come out over the years, and they all have there ups and downs. I know you are a fan of the Irwin, but they dont work for everyone. We tried the Irwin Pro quiet pipe on a couple different boats with different motors, and it was a PIG. Guess what? We threw on an Original Silver Bullet and they run like a champ with no other changes. In the same respect, we have seen many people run very well with that Irwin Pro Pipe. Its just the nature of a tuned pipe man.... Obviously the "Original" option didnt work for your application, we get it.

There is no "BS", the TRUTH is the way a pipe works depends on a number of variables, including Engine, Fuel, Plug, Prop, Hull Set-up, etc. etc. With your boating experience, you should know this right?

Mark and any other manufacturer would be shooting themselves in the foot to provide a "list" of what pipe works best with what engine. People like you would take it way too literal, and then we would have even more of these pissing contests. Do you know how many championship races have been won with the very pipe you are degrading? How about the many positive responses on this poll/thread? How can you explain that? Obviously it works, and works well for many people, so how can it "suck"? Ok, it may not work for you.... put it on ebay, you'll get every dime back for it. Hell, send it to me, ill put it on my boat, run a 50mph pass and send you the video.

~James

Last edited by a moderator:
Chuck, obviously you are this "very unhappy customer" that Mark speaks of, we get it.
Do you know why and how a tuned exhaust works? No really, do you know? If you knew that, you would also know there is NO WAY a manufacturer can make a pipe that works the BEST on the large range of motors we use. With that being said, pipe manufacturers have to come up with the best all purpose pipe that they can. Mark has done that, as well as Irwin, and a few others.

There is no underlying message or conspiracy as to why Mark makes an "Original" and a "HP" version for his 3.5 pipe, and to imply that there is, is absurd. Its simply a matter of having options. Irwin has also had many different pipes come out over the years, and they all have there ups and downs. I know you are a fan of the Irwin, but they dont work for everyone. We tried the Irwin Pro quiet pipe on a couple different boats with different motors, and it was a PIG. Guess what? We threw on an Original Silver Bullet and they run like a champ with no other changes. In the same respect, we have seen many people run very well with that Irwin Pro Pipe. Its just the nature of a tuned pipe man.... Obviously the "Original" option didnt work for your application, we get it.

There is no "BS", the TRUTH is the way a pipe works is dependent on a number of variables, including Engine, Fuel, Plug, Prop, Hull Set-up, etc. etc. With your boating experience, you should know this right?

Mark and any other manufacturer would be shooting themselves in the foot to provide a "list" of what pipe works best with what engine. People like you would take it way too literal, and then we would have even more of these pissing contests. Do you know how many championship races have been won with the very pipe you are degrading? How about the many positive responses on this poll/thread? How can you explain that? Obviously it works, and works well for many people, so how can it "suck"? Ok, it may not work for you.... put it on ebay, you'll get every dime back for it. Hell, send it to me, ill put it on my boat, run a 50mph pass and send you the video.

~James
Well said James and you didn't misspell anything!

Its simple.. its a great pipe...

I dont have many stickers on my boats.. just a few.. most are sponsors.. A Silver Bullet Pipe sits on the back of my tunnel. A sticker on the front... No. I am not sponsored by Silver Bullet Pipes....

BTY.. I have nothing against any other pipe I have ever used.. its just that to date none have performed as well as my good old SBP.

For what its worth and who cares…..Having said my peace... this is starting to get out of hand.. Lets end this on James's post.. Good one James

Grim out

Well since it didn't end on James post <_< :lol: I want to say that I use both these pipes and they are EXTREMELY

valuable, especially in these days of "fading away" of anything Good!

In my experience the measured header and tuned pipe "length" is "tied" to the exhaust port timing, it's actually

more important than the actual pipe design. Most people don't even know their engines exhaust port timing and get

into this "try that pipe and this one too" thing without moving the actual length around much to find out if it really works.

The standard SB has worked very well on engines that I have provided a higher exhaust port timing in the sleeve,

some on purpose, some on accident but the correct length had to be adjusted thru several runs of the boat.

This pipe will provide a wide powerband and give the ability to turn some perdy heavy metal on a Novarossi to a highly

modified Gear Drive Thunder Tiger O/B.

The SB "HP" is a great one for the lower exhaust port timings, it's easier to get a shorter length with ex port timings

of 177* and up to 184. So far this year, 3 of my best running 21 O/B's like this pipe,, are there better ones? probably,

but some of those aren't made anymore. I think leaning how to use them is more important than which one you use.

JW

Last edited by a moderator:
Way too much time here for someone who obviously doesn't have a clue on how to set up engines. NOT ALL pipes work on every set up. 4 out of the 6 tunnels my son and I run have Siver Bullets. I have Irwin,Equi, Cooper, Macs, Rossi and a few others in my box. Our present set ups run best with Marks pipes. Will I try other products, sure but untill I find better they stay bolted on. We all need to support guys like him that make quality products and give great service. If you just take the negative approach we all loose. Find out what makes your boats run well and share the info rather than blanket say something is a piece of crap. Maybe better to post your set up, timming, head clearance, pipe lenght ect and what does and doesn't work for "you". Seems that some very credible racers here do well with Mark's products.

Mic Halbrehder

To end this poll and the statements people made, I sold the pipe yesterday to another club member I was glad to get rid of it. Please no more ear beatings about Mark's pipe, I put my Irwin on it runs very good. I'm not a rookie at this and anyone who knows me, knows my boats run very good. End of story!

Chuck,

I havent seen anything on here on what powerhead you are running, my guess is a K&B 21. What hull are you running? I do know with a nova, cmb, or even a mac, the pipe runs darn good. I personally know Mark Hopper and if it was not for guys like him and others the outboard classes would be in trouble. Theres no since downgrading a mans product. Mark makes Quality products on everything he does, and gos far and beyond helping others get there boats running, ive seen him come to the pond and help others, while his own boats never get out of the truck, hes a asset to this Hobby thats all there is to it. Good luck to you in whatever you run.

Tom

Chuck

Maybe I could give you the technical information on these Silver Bullet pipes , since I was associated considerably with their design.

The first version of the SB pipe is a stamped production of the cut and welded Nova Rossi inboard pipe that I ran from 2000 to 2004 . This pipe is docile with most all motor and prop combinations due to its 10 degree convergent cone . Once it was determined that this pipe would not give the extreme high end revs no matter how much you shortened it , other sizes and angles were looked i

into.

The second version is the Silver Bullet HP . It is an attempt for a "middle of the road" kind of pipe . It has a double angle on the convergent cone somewhat like the CMDI 21 & 45 nitro pipe . The purpose for these two angles was to have a pipe that is easy to get up on then the greater angle of the second half of the cone would provide higher RPM .

The third version of the Silver Bullet pipe ( soon to be released ) was intended for all out speed . This pipe has about the same volume as the two mentioned before , but it has a 14 degree convergent cone. High speeds and RPM can be achieved while running this pipe short with an average size prop . I will say this combination will display a peaky and narrow power band . This pipe can be lengthened to provide a more forgiving power band and have the top end results like the first and second versions .

There were other designs of Silver Bullet pipes that could not improve on the performance of the first three and were never considered to be sold .

If you cant find a variety like this with other manufacture of 3.5 outboard pipes , maybe you will give Silver Bullet another try.

ERNIE

Latest posts

Back