Plywood Building Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anthony727

Is Lite Plywood actually a plywood, or is it a veneer? Is there any advantage/diadvantage between this and birch 3/5 ply? I keep seeing that stuff all over.

Lite ply is made from softer wood, cuts terribly, and is nowhere near as stong as birch ply.

Is Lite Plywood actually a plywood, or is it a veneer? Is there any advantage/diadvantage between this and birch 3/5 ply? I keep seeing that stuff all over.
Anthony, I did a quick google search of lite plywood and found that it has 1/2 the calories, less filling AND tastes great! :lol: . Really it is made from softer wood such as poplar and spruce that compresses more easily. Birch ply seems to be the prefered choice for boat building. Glenn :D

birch has a much higher resistance to twisting, breaking, impacts and water absorbtion. I wouldn't use lite ply anywhere it is subjected to real stress. Actually, I'd leave it in aircraft where it's better suited and stick with birch in the boats

Thanks guys...this really helps out. I had a feeling there was a reason it was cheaper in price.

Latest posts

Back