Pictures of Ross Quarles' 12 SAW Texan

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glenn Quarles

Supporting Member
Well, I finally got some pictures of our boat. They are a little blurry, but still kinda neat.

Here are some stats on the boat:

-Length about 22 inches

-Weighs 1 lb 10 oz ready to run

-Nova RS12 engine

-We have run both the Mac and Rossi (or OPS???) pipes

-Best 1/16 mile pass...75.225 mph (2.991 sec)

-Construction is very simple...I use some neat composite stuff, but nothing really exotic.

I am attaching 4 pictures...hope it works!

Glenn

holy cow that's light..... could you tell us a little more about what materials were used to build it?

Tom, the tub side are a 1/4" glass/foam composite from a place called Fiber Art. The top and bottom of the tub are plywood, the bulkhead (front of the radio box) is the same composite, and the transom is plywood. The sponsons are the typical plywood/foam construction. The booms are carbon and the airfoil part of the booms are balsa.

I didn't go to any trouble on this one trying to save weight with the radio equipment. The throttle sevro is a micro, the rudder sevro is a mini, the receiver is a full size 3 ch Airtronics, regular switch, and the battery is a 220 ma NiCad. The new one I'm working on should be several oz's lighter...some of it will be in the radio equipment.

When I weighed the boat (post office) I had the boat set up with a .187 cable and a full size Speedmaster strut, I have since changed to a .125 cable and a modified Hughey strut so the weight may have changed a little.

Glenn

Hey Glen,

"Really nice boat!" If you don't mind, I'd like to know what the

length of the tub is only. No sponsons, no hardware.

Thanks

Don

Hey Glen! That boat sure looks sleek! :D .

One question! Do you use a heat sink? If you do, How do you line it up?

Do you give it a quarter turn, so the holes are lined up fore to aft?

Let me know. Thanks,

Hammer

I want to get off this vacation I'm on. Sound silly? Well, I'm soooo anxious to weigh my boat in, but the scientific scale I want to use is at the primary school that I work at. Got a little crazy last night. I made a seesaw and put my boat on one end and a tall Kirin beer on the other. Talk about a finely calibrated scale :eek: . My boat weighs more than 16oz. Wasn't enough room to put another beer on there, so I gave up :'(

Hammer

Nice Glen, very nice!!!!

I would like a transom to drive dog measurement, she looks out there a piece.

And maybe a closer side shot of the sponsons.

Thanks Man,

Gene ;D

Beer Scale, you Guy's crack me up !!!! ;)

Guys, the length of the tub is 20 inches, from the transom to the drive dog is 1.25 inches, I use a .125 shaft, and have run both the V937 and 2137 props...they both ran over 70 mph with no problem.

Hammer, I only use a heat sink on really hot days, and yes the slots should be turned to the front. On cool days I just have the head button by itself.

Glenn

well.... i think i just might have to try to build a new saw boat this winter..... id like to see if i could get under 2 lbs

Glenn, think you could share your pipe length? and what header do you use?

thanks

tom

Tom, 2 lbs should be no problem for you. Just "think light" while you are building. What is the worst thing that could happen if you made it too light...it would just break...no big deal. I think 2lbs is about the right weight for a heat racing .12.

My pipe is 6 1/2 inches from the block around the centerline of the header and pipe to the weld. I use one of those neat Associated 180 degree headers. I think I need to lose another 1/2 inch or so to really get the motor working.

Glenn

hehehe, just for reference guys, I weighed my blizzard 05 electric rigger and it weighs 2 lbs 8 oz RTR w/ 6 cells (a li'l on the heavy side due to paint), and it obviously is nowhere near that fast. Yer boat is UNBELIEVABLY light man, thats sweet! I don't know if many peeps here have seen an 05 electric rigger, but they're small as hell!! Anyone would have a very serious challenge building a boat strong enough to handle the power that these NR .12's are capable of and weigh less than 2 lbs. Great job!

Glenn,

I have the same header and mac pipe. I've got it down to 7.5" but

it looks like I would need to cut the header back and put the

coupler on the bend to get another 1" off.

Would you go the same length if it was an oval boat? :-

Don

Don, it depends on how easy your boat gets on the pipe. If it hits the pipe real quick and reaches top RPM real fast then you could shorten it some. If you are happy with the driveability and raceability of your boat like it is, then I would leave it alone. :)

Yea, I have the header cut off right at the bend with no straight part left.

Glenn

I really have no idea what Glenn used but he got my curosity going as well..... so I started looking.

I found that http://www.acp-composites.com/acp-lp.htm has a glass foam as well as a glass balsa. The weights are kinda listed on the prices page. The glass balsa only weighs a little more than the foam but from what I gather from talking to them on the foam the balsa is significantly more ridgid. I was told that the 1/8" glass balsa is compareable in weight to light ply but more ridgid.

Back