.12 Texan SAW boat

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sweet little piece. How sensitive is it to chop and wind?
Don't really know...I don't ever run it unless it is pretty much glass smooth! It has never lifted or acted at all like it would ever blow off. I have crashed it a couple times by giving too much left rudder after it gets up to speed, but that is pretty common to a lot of SAW boats. This is the most stable and fun to drive SAW boat I have even built! I will try to find a pic of it running on "rough" water.

GQ

Very impressive accomplishment Glen, going 100 mph with anything is special, doing with a little .12 boat is just magic.
default_smile.png

I like the "transom"...
default_laugh.png

Are you running any water cooling?
default_rolleyes.gif

Very impressive accomplishment Glen, going 100 mph with anything is special, doing with a little .12 boat is just magic.
default_smile.png

I like the "transom"...
default_laugh.png

Are you running any water cooling?
default_rolleyes.gif
Thanks Terry! No on the water cooling...in fact I had to wrap the head with alum tape one morning to try and keep enough heat in it to burn the nitro! Yeah the transom is just along for the ride so I designed the boat without it to save the weight!
Talk to ya later,

GQ

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Glenn I have a question about your wire drive setup. Are you using bearings or Teflon and what's your opinion on the pro and cons between them as I'm wanting to try a wire drive in my .21 and my .12 for heat racing.

Thanks,Dale

Hey Glenn I have a question about your wire drive setup. Are you using bearings or Teflon and what's your opinion on the pro and cons between them as I'm wanting to try a wire drive in my .21 and my .12 for heat racing.

Thanks,Dale
Hey Dale, I use ball bearings. I have never used anything else so I really can't compaire it to anything else. I use wire drives in all my 12 boats and wouldn't use anything else now. I have also used a wire in one 21 boat and I didn't notice much of an advantage.

GQ

Glenn, this is a great thread! We have been working hard to get a 12 down to that weight but the best I have been able to do is 1.8 lbs. Are you taking metal off the engine, flywheel and collet to lighten them? Also, are you still using a carbon fiber strip as a ski on the bottom?

Sorry I missed you when I was in Texas last month.

Glenn, this is a great thread! We have been working hard to get a 12 down to that weight but the best I have been able to do is 1.8 lbs. Are you taking metal off the engine, flywheel and collet to lighten them? Also, are you still using a carbon fiber strip as a ski on the bottom?

Sorry I missed you when I was in Texas last month.
Hey Bob! No weight was taken off the motor, flywheel Etc. The only place on the boat that I "whittled" on to remove weight is the SpeedMaster rudder pivot block. The rest of the boat was just built light! No this boat does not have the carbon "slide" on the bottom of the stuffing box...since there is no strut I had to build a solid box around the stuffing tube to support the prop loads. It looks like a normal ski except it is solid.
It you want to go over every detail of building lite weight feel free to give me a call!

GQ

I should have realized that a SAW boat would be different. Mine are all heat racing boats at 1.8 - 2.0 lbs. I will give you a call soon as I am very interested in how you build those sponsons. Are you infusing the epoxy into them while they are bagged?

I am using ball bearings, no strut and the same size wire drive. Like you said, you can blow on it and it just spins! I make rudders out of hardened steel knife blades, which work great, because as you pointed out, there is no need for water cooling.

It looks like you are not using pipe pressure (?). Is that a K&B black carb sitting on that engine? If so, is it stock or did you bore it out? That would be a very light set up with the integral needle.

Talk to you soon!

A Hydo 2.JPG

A Hyro 1.JPG

Back