Paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info everyone!

Does anyone know where I can find these "House of Kolors" water-based airbrush paints online? Or what stores sell them? I'm having great trouble doing so. They aren't even listed on the HOK website.

Looking around on their website, I ran into their Neon and Pearl paints. They have a nice orange in both. I may even incorporate the blue and red. A nice bright boat for those cloudy morning races. Any opinions on their Neon and/or Pearl paints?

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks, Mike! I'm pretty certain I'll end up going with those.

I heard that K&B used to make epoxy paints, not just sealers, and even had metallic colors. Is this still true, and if so, anyone know where they can be found? All I can find is engines, and various threads about ultra/superpoxy. If they do make them, it would eliminate the need for a clearcoat, saving me money and time, hopefully.

Thanks

The clear coat "IS" the paint job. This is not the place to save money if you want your boat to look good.

my .02

And clear coat over epoxy paint will make it look better? Either way, I'm not going for extreme beauty, not particularly worried about any beauty. I just want visibility and durability, for the most part. I want bright orange because I don't have the best eye-sight in the world, and durability for the obvious reasons.

Thanks

K&B epoxy was always a pain in the A@@ when I tried it. Not sure but I don't think its made any more. The HoK water based paints are awesome. They don't fade, are odorless, clean equipment with soap and water. Any Acrylic Urethane auto clear will work as a topcoat clear. I have used several and never had problems with 60% nitro.

Hmm, ok. I guess I'll give up searching for epoxy paints then. Guess I'll just have to go buy a 40-70 dollar quart of clear paint and use 5-6oz of it... lol

HVAC,

Your best bet is do what I do. Go to a bump shop and explain what you want and

let them paint it for you in a paint booth. This way it is done right and you will

be happy with the results. It works well for me. This way you don't have to

worry about anything. When people want a furnace job they call a professional,

same with painting.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

I've used the house of kolor bases and candies, and they come in killer colors. Any color of the hok candies sprayed over the "Orion Silver" metallic base is amazing. Because I like to do graphics tapeouts with an airbrush, I have about 20 different colors. I get most of the colors and pearls from Airhead HOK, and larger amounts locally or from Paint Depot HOK. The pearls are super nice but you have to see the Kameleon pearls in person to appreciate the effect, incredible paints. You can see some of the HOK color chips here, but not all for some unknown reason, and the colors are distorted by the computer moniter, so it's just an estimated color on the screen. :huh: Lots of good stuff at Innate too.

Make sure the surface is prepped and totally grease/wax/oil free by scrubbing with soap and water, then wiped with solvent/wax remover. I learned that the hard way :rolleyes:

I agree with Don's suggestion, the PPG 2021 clear really is the shiz. B)

Mike, are you sure those are house of kolor paints that you clean up with water? I have to use reducer, and mine aren't water based. Maybe you're using the "Auto Air" paints?

Actually I think I'll paint it myself. I don't like paying other people to do things for me that I can do myself. Kinda like having a butler.

ClayGlover: Thanks for all the great info, and the links to the websites!

B) hey 2500; if you are going to do some simple spraying and just want one color parts you could try formula-u, it's a spray can,polyurathane paint which is fuelproof

to at least 60% nitro content. they blend a international orange,tropical blue,piper yellow,and some red.this stuff is not too bad to work with,it will give you good luster for a spray can paint, but you should do some sample spraying on some other parts, to get some practice on how this paint lays down on the surface.

i have used the international orange on a fiberglass tunnel and its the same layer for some,ten years, with only slight fading,also K&b still sells some 2 part epoxy paint with limited colors and there is another company called Klasskote who sells

2 part epoxy paints as well

good luck

from

norm

norm j said:
B) hey 2500; if you are going to do some simple spraying and just want one color parts you could try formula-u, it's a spray can,polyurathane paint which is fuelproofto at least 60% nitro content. they blend a international orange,tropical blue,piper yellow,and some red.this stuff is not too bad to work with,it will give you good luster for a spray can paint, but you should do some sample spraying on some other parts,  to get some practice on how this paint lays down on the surface.

i have used the international orange on a fiberglass tunnel and its the same layer for some,ten years, with only slight fading,also K&b still sells some 2 part epoxy paint with limited colors and there is another company called Klasskote who sells

2 part epoxy paints as well

good luck

from

norm

75340[/snapback]

Norm,

If Formula-U has changed their formula in the past 10 years I can agree with that. However, 10 years ago, I used the paint, went out with 50% nitro and blistered the paint off. I called the manufacturer and they told me the paint was only fuelproof to 10% and nothing beyond that is recommended without a clearcoat. Clearcoated them all from that time. Formula-U is an airplane paint which rarely goes over 10% nitro. Not so with boats. We have the highest nitro content of boats, airplanes and cars. I have since changed paint a dozen times but clearcoat everything with PPG. Check with the mfg BEFORE you assume anything. Then if you want to use O'Donnells fuel, then nothing is sacred. Nastiest residue I have ever seen.

John

Don't even attempt Formula U with 50% nitro, results will be UGLY!!!!

Here's the tech notes right from Pactra/Midwest, makers orf Formula U, please note the last line-

This is a 12 oz spray can of Pactra Formula-U Polyurethane

Gloss Aviation Yellow Colored Paint from Midwest.

A one-step, high-gloss polyurethane system for a tough mar-resistant

finish in less coats. An exclusive fuelproof and waterproof formula made

specifically for nitro-powered model airplanes and boats.

FEATURES: Used on New Wood Surfaces, Polyester/Epoxy Base Resin Surfaces, Iron-On Plastic Film, Iron-On Fabric or Molded Styrofoam. Dust free in 45-60 minutes; ready to handle in 4-6 hours, recoat within 15 minutes or after 24 hours; tape free and cured for maximum fuel resistance in 7 days. (For best results see COMMENTS) Contains no lead.

INCLUDES: One 12 oz spray can of Formula-U Polyurethane Gloss Aviation Yellow Colored Paint.

REQUIRES: Use in a well ventilated area with lung, eye and skin protection. Formula-U Brushing Thinner for clean-up

SPECS: Net Weight: 12 oz (240 g) Paint Type: Fuel Proof Polyurethane Fuel Proof: up to 15%

dave roach said:
Use ppg 2021 clear good for up to 65% nitro That is all I use.
75355[/snapback]

I Use Sikkens With Autoclear HS Plus Its is goods for 65% plus.

Last edited:
:unsure: hey guys i used formula-u a long time ago and used fuel with higher nitro than specified on the can with no attacks on the surface, then again that was quite some time ago and they may have changed the formula since then

ALSO 2500 WHEN IN DOUBT CLEAR IT OUT and the sikkens autocryl is really great paint to use if you want to spend the money!

just my 2 cents worth

from

norm

Lotza luck finding Formula-U, they quit making it. I've got some and hanging onto it. The supply of Lustrekote is drying up also. I tried some Hangar 9 paint and to put it mildly, it sucked!!!!

BTW, if anyone can score some of the Formula-U yellow in the spray cans, let me know.

Ron Olson said:
Lotza luck finding Formula-U, they quit making it. I've got some and hanging onto it. The supply of Lustrekote is drying up also. I tried some Hangar 9 paint and to put it mildly, it sucked!!!!

BTW, if anyone can score some of the Formula-U yellow in the spray cans, let me know.

75450[/snapback]

hey ron have you used formula u on some boats before?well i have some piper yellow and tropic blue in spray cans also it is stated on the label that it's fuelproof but to what % who knows

norm j said:
Ron Olson said:

75450[/snapback]

hey ron have you used formula u on some boats before?well i have some piper yellow and tropic blue in spray cans also it is stated on the label that it's fuelproof but to what % who knows

77211[/snapback]

No more than 15% or it will blister. I have been down that road before.

Back