Paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HVAC25000

What are some of the recommended Nitro-resistant paints available today? I'm going to be running 50%. I'm trying/hoping to find a nice, bright orange, like a bouy (not flourescent though since it never sticks to anything), metallic blue, white, and clear.

I see there are also some companies out there that sell epoxy paints. Is it possible to paint a boat with regular enamel paint, like krylon, and then give it a top-coat of a clear epoxy paint?

Thanks

I think that most of the guys on here are going to recommend the two part urethane automotive paints. I don't think that you can go wrong with pro paint but your wallet will take a hit. I'll be eating beans and skipping lunch to pay for my auto paint. I, too think that it's the only way to go ;) .

When I lived in Coral Springs (south Florida), one of the boat guys told me that he used spray bomb colors (including flourescent) and he covered the paint job with auto urethane clear to fuel proof, protect and bring out a nice shine.

I do not recommend using epoxy clear (ie. Hobby Poxy or K&B Superpoxy) over your colors. It has a yellowish tint to it that will flat ruin your nice paint job! Ask me how I know :angry: . If you've got some, like I do, use it to seal your wood before you paint but trust me, you don't want to paint over your nice bright colors with this stuff. It is tough as nails, however!

Thanks!

Any particular brands of paint you like? I assume pro paint is not a brand, and that you just refer to 2 part auto paint as pro paint, because I tried searching and found nothing specific.

And, spray bomb? Never heard of the term, nor could I find anything in a search.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like the PPG Concept line of paints (color codes begin with DCC). These are completely fuel proof, very tough and difficult to scratch, and expensive. You will need the color, the catalyst and the reducer.. Tony J

Boy this topic comes up soooo often. Since I am a 2 finger typer & have responded to this many times previous, do a search here on PPG Concept & you should find a wealth of information! :D

Top Flite LustreKote has spray cans in most of the colors that you want. The Orange is well......., not as bright as you'd want. It's hard to find a good, bright Orange anyway, the paint people are working on getting a brighter one for automotive paint. The paint is rated for 20% Nitro but will take a little more. It doesn't have a lot of gloss in any of TF's colors but is a little more forgiving than some others for not running if you spray too much on.

Ron Olson said:
..... The paint is rated for 20% Nitro but will take a little more.
72833[/snapback]

Hey Ron-

His opening post states he'll be using 50%. I saw a guy's boat a while back that was painted with TF Lustrekote get some 25% spilled on it. Let's just say it was not pretty........ :blink:

Hey guy like Don and the others have said use the automotive paints in a urethane with a clear top coat , but if you do please remember and this is for everyone, wear a resperator with a "GOOD" activated charcoal filter when sparying them. THIS TUFF IS NASTY ON YOUR LUNGS AND REPERITORY SYSTEM.

"Spray Bombs" are a slang for spray cans of paint

If you have a local Car Quest Paint Store or O'Rielly Auto Parts store they have hundreds of colors to chose from or look in your yellow pages for a PPG paint dealer.

Bill Diedrich,

Ventress, LA

Chris, Bill beat me to it; spray bombs=spray paint cans :lol: .

PPG is definitely the paint of choice but I think that any of the automotive paints (for pros) will work well for us.

When I lived in Coral Springs, I stopped by one of the local paint supply houses and talked to them about both their PPG line of products and their much cheaper Valspar product line. Being the cheap guy that I am, I decided that when the time comes, I'd go with Valspar. Much cheaper! On the other hand.......I know the track record of PPG and it's proven. May just be worth the extra money for peace of mind!

Once again, I don't have experience with these automotive paints, but I do know that the urethanes will hold up to nitro, will look great if you do great prep work and shoot the stuff well, and will be terrible for your body if you don't protect yourself :eek: !

The PPG Omni AU, a two part urethane automotive paint, works quite well. The MC161 is a high gloss clear that holds up to 65% nitro and does not hit the wallet that hard. A quart of each runs $45.00 (total) and can do a number of boats. I don't know if the Omni is a cheaper line that the Concept line but it does work.

I have found that the Sherwin Williams 3 part clear does not hold up for me. And it cost 100.00 for a quart quantity of them.

John Knight said:
The PPG Omni AU, a two part urethane automotive paint, works quite well.  The MC161 is a high gloss clear that holds up to 65% nitro and does not hit the wallet that hard.  A quart of each runs $45.00 (total) and can do a number of boats.  I don't know if the Omni is a cheaper line that the Concept line but it does work.
I agree on the Omni. A couple buddies turned me on to it and it is great. A lot schepaer than the Concept paint.

John Knight said:
I have found that the Sherwin Williams 3 part clear does not hold up for me.  And it cost 100.00 for a quart quantity of them.
72863[/snapback]

Yup, definitely does NOT like nitro. :blink: PPG 2021 Concept clear is the shiznit!! :D

Thanks for all the info, everyone!

I guess, seeing as it's so expensive, I'll ask around our club and see if I can find some primer, white, and clear that maybe someone has left over. As is, I need primer, white, orange, blue, and clear. At $45 a quart (I don't know if auto paint is sold in smaller quantities. Is it?), that's 225 dollars, more than twice what it's going to cost me to build what I'm painting, haha.

Another question, though. What kinds of paints can urethane paint go over? Can I use regular enamel paint or lacquer for primer and base, and then use a good urethane paint for the clear-coat? I'd like to use the cheap "Mirage" paint from Duplicolor (http://www.dupli-color.com/products/mirage.html), but I know the clear-coat it comes with is not even close to nitro proof.

Thanks

HVAC25000 said:
At $45 a quart (I don't know if auto paint is sold in smaller quantities. Is it?), that's 225 dollars, more than twice what it's going to cost me to build what I'm painting, haha.
72950[/snapback]

If you talk real nice to your paint person they might mix pints for you. B)

Another question, though. What kinds of paints can urethane paint go over? Can I use regular enamel paint or lacquer for primer and base, and then use a good urethane paint for the clear-coat? I'd like to use the cheap "Mirage" paint from Duplicolor

:eek: :blink: :angry: :ph34r:

NO IT WILL NOT GO UNDERNEITH THE 2 PART URETHANE CLEARS, they will bubble up and you will have a real nice mess on your hands. Keep it to the same type of paints and you will have a nicer finish

Bill D>

I started using "House of Kolors" water-based airbrush paints for the basecoat colors. They work great over any primer. As for topcoating I use Concept clear works great as should any automotive Acrylic Urethane. Much easier on the lungs too with the water base paints. This is what alot of guys doing custom motorcycles are using. Much easier on the wallet too.

Some Autobody shops have a wealth of left over paint,,but Bright Orange is going

to be perdy hard to find,,then you still have to have the hardner and reducer.

But no autobody shop is going to have left over clear, thats for sure.

But you never know, they just might feel sorry for you and totaly set you up,,

I know ,,I've done it before.

posted by Mike,

I started using "House of Kolors" water-based airbrush paints for the basecoat colors. They work great over any primer. As for topcoating I use Concept clear works great as should any automotive Acrylic Urethane. Much easier on the lungs too with the water base paints.
Concept clear-you're talking about the PPG stuff? Is it water-based :unsure: ?

PPG Concept clear is acrylic urethane. You need a bullet-proof topcoat to protect from the high nitro content of fuel. If your looking to save $$ don't do it here. :unsure:

Back