Outboard rules and class ideas needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lol. So much for staying on task. Come on guys. Post some more ideas and what you would like to see considered or changed.

Im pretty sure thats what some are saying ................

With the approval of the majority, I'm running my ModVp in A-Stock and A-Mod next weekend in Brandon at the one day race.

Will I win- I doubt it

If I do -guess what, No one is gonna bitxch - know why ????

We are racing toy boats and having fun - period.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are getting upset and contemplating not running outboard tunnels due to these items being discussed (if they get passed by the voters that is) then you are not a true outboard tunnel racer and we don't want you anyway ;)

Good point Kris. Everything here is up for discussion and must be voted on by majority before they would even take effect. If that happens or not, the true tunnel heads will race and support the hobby either way.

Bob/Ron, Would you please give us some feed back on (d-superstock) and (gas tunnel) as of right now?,What is the criteria for these two new proposed outboard classes thanks, Rick

D Superstock will most likely end up like what they have been running at the WTC. Any legal (displacement) power head with a cannister muffler. Feel free to make your own muffler, but be ready to have it checked to make sure it is not a tuned pipe. Because of the word "stock" in the title, conventional mass-produced lower units only, no home made or turntable lower units allowed.

How many clubs offer these classes? Looks like the bulk of this thread has Ron and Bob talking. I suggest the two of you who know as much as any one have a few phone conversations and tell us what you have come up with then tweak from there.

Thanks Mike. Thats what Bob and I will be doing. We will take some of our ideas, combined with some ideas from this thread, PM's, conversations with fellow boaters, and come back with proposals we will present to the IMPBA and NAMBA Boards seeking additional recommendations, and hopefully approvals to send to the membership for a vote.

Mike

How many clubs would offer these classes if they knew about them, and there were rules already in place. Instead of letting interest in new classes decline, us "old timers" need to help new comers develope an interest and keep the hobby growing. One of my projects as IMPBA National Outboard Director is to talk to the manufacturers and tell them what we want, and how much we can afford to spend to get it. For those of you that think that outboard tunnel racing is dying, come to arace in Charleston, and you will be surprised.

We have plenty of b sport tunnels few b mods and barely a class of ds or open tunnels

Bob you keep bringing up the Charlston race thats 1 or2 where are the rest of the races hosting them our club is out of room for more classes. You can only support classes that make the numbers year after year.

Other than getting bogged down and spending too much time on a "turntable" there have been some good contributions here. One of the things being discussed that might help is defining powerplants and hulls that are starting to be built and run. The problem there is, one area makes rules and another area differs somewhat and no one wants to take initiative to standardize things. It's always let the clubs run what they need in their area with local classes. On the short term it works but some don't want to risk time and money building something that may not be able to race elsewhere. Offering classes in the rule doesn't mean you have to run them. That's part of what Bob and others are doing here. We didn't have the internet years ago and things went slow. Today information is shared and flows, accelerating and improving the process. Mic

Mike

How many clubs would offer these classes if they knew about them, and there were rules already in place. Instead of letting interest in new classes decline, us "old timers" need to help new comers develope an interest and keep the hobby growing. One of my projects as IMPBA National Outboard Director is to talk to the manufacturers and tell them what we want, and how much we can afford to spend to get it. For those of you that think that outboard tunnel racing is dying, come to arace in Charleston, and you will be surprised.
See if you can get OS to make a 45 outboard, that would be nice!

Mike

I have suggested this to the O.S. Product Manager at HOBBICO. However, with the Tower price of the 21 now $400($350 is you are a Tower Super Saver) I would suspect an O.S. 45 Outboard(which doesn't exist) would have a street price of at least $500. So, once again a new model boater would be looking at a $1,000 investment.

Speaking for only myself, located on the West Coast, and from a NAMBA prospective, I don't see how rewriting the existing NAMBA outboard rules is going to improve/increase model tunnel boat participation in Districts 8, 9, and 19.

I am not against clarifications of existing rules. I just don't see where it's going to make any difference in the area I race.

I realize I am offering observations and not ideas. "Back in the day," I had a lot of ideas - some of which are now in the NAMBA outboard rules. Now, "not so much."

JD

Mike

I have suggested this to the O.S. Product Manager at HOBBICO. However, with the Tower price of the 21 now $400($350 is you are a Tower Super Saver) I would suspect an O.S. 45 Outboard(which doesn't exist) would have a street price of at least $500. So, once again a new model boater would be looking at a $1,000 investment.

Speaking for only myself, located on the West Coast, and from a NAMBA prospective, I don't see how rewriting the existing NAMBA outboard rules is going to improve/increase model tunnel boat participation in Districts 8, 9, and 19.

I am not against clarifications of existing rules. I just don't see where it's going to make any difference in the area I race.

I realize I am offering observations and not ideas. "Back in the day," I had a lot of ideas - some of which are now in the NAMBA outboard rules. Now, "not so much."

JD
Great points Jerry. You have made a lot of contributions to this hobby and we are all grateful for sure. To Mic's point, the thread went sideways for a spell on just one of many issues up for discussion. There are some great points here worth consideration. OS with a 45 OB would be huge Shawn and would breathe life back into a D Sport Class. I am hoping NR will contract or offer their own lowers and stock pipe giving a second 20 and 45 sport offering. Lets all keep the suggestions coming.

Mike

JD
Jerry, $500 for a factory OS 7.5 Outboard complete with lower unit would be a steal since every 7.5 powerhead on the market today is $4XX.00 bare. Every 7.5 boat in any class (mono, hydro, tunnel) today totals $1000.00 if you buy it all new and build it from scratch. An OS 46 complete would be just what the RC Outboard community needs and wants. James

For discussion I would like to entertain the idea of FE outboards limit the battery capacity in P & Q classes. I believe our Aussy mates have done this already? Logic here is to keep costs down and accommodates the narrow limited space we have to work with. With say a 5000ma limit you could still run 50-60mph in heat race trim and make 6 laps. The bigger the motor the smaller the prop would have to be in reality. It would encourage setup and tradeoffs. Kind of like when we had to gear down carpet cars to make 8 minute heats. 6S 5000ma has more potential energy than 4S 5000ma so it would push larger hulls than 4S. AMPs being the key to require more expensive motors and ESC's. This would not effect any other hull style FE classes, just make Outboards unique. Open Tunnel would not be limited and a place for S & T boats which are not any majority of potential builds. Mic

Looking at costs I recently picked up a tunnel used for $200 with servo's. I built a new radio box and gained a throttle servo which isn't needed for FE. (I have a thread in the FE forum with a box build for a TS3 if you want to see how easy it's done.)I installed a Swordfish 200amp ESC ($120 new) and Leopard 40X82 powerhead ($108 from OSE) to a K&B lower ($90 used?)and a Hyperformance adapter ($40). That's $560 for a boat that went 55mph. Make it a new hull and your still around $700. A decent 6S battery at $150 and a charger $60-100. add a second battery and your under $1100 and won't need any glow plugs or nitro fuel, ever! Add $150 and you get a NEU motor over the leopard which is pretty much top shelf and pick up 3 mph. It will run with any .45 tunnel. Mic

The basic nitro tunnel rules are fine for now. They've been through the mill and are pretty much what the people who race them want. I think the new effort should go toward rules for gas and electric power plants, not the hull rules.

Lohring Miller

Back