Outboard rules and class ideas needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
To question Mark Pooles integrity is just not right. He thinks of others first and by no means is making a profit building boats. He has given away many boats to support races. Are you saying it will come up or you will make sure it's brought up? I have met quite a few model outboard racers who are passionate because they owned or raced full size equipment. I ran Mod-Vp's in the 80's and like kneelers they are as much a part of outboard history as 1/8 scale is too hydro's. I have been wondering when the condescending "I used to race tunnels" would get thrown in. Now it is "Show me the money". I think outboards have represented a large percentage at the Internats where they support Sport-B as sometimes the largest class and not even for a US-1. What this discussion is about is updating outboard rules to fit the times. Putting some structure in print can only help new builds. It still will depend on what people in an area can muster. Being in the rule book doesn't mean you have to run any class. The record book is full of boats that are rarely raced. What is the harm in having a consistent resource that a new guy can look into before he builds something that doesn't qualify. There are also some ideas to make some outboard continuity between the two major model racing organizations. That would sure be a bad thing. Mic

To question Mark Pooles integrity is just not right. He thinks of others first and by no means is making a profit building boats. He has given away many boats to support races. Are you saying it will come up or you will make sure it's brought up? I have met quite a few model outboard racers who are passionate because they owned or raced full size equipment. I ran Mod-Vp's in the 80's and like kneelers they are as much a part of outboard history as 1/8 scale is too hydro's. I have been wondering when the condescending "I used to race tunnels" would get thrown in. Now it is "Show me the money". I think outboards have represented a large percentage at the Internats where they support Sport-B as sometimes the largest class and not even for a US-1. What this discussion is about is updating outboard rules to fit the times. Putting some structure in print can only help new builds. It still will depend on what people in an area can muster. Being in the rule book doesn't mean you have to run any class. The record book is full of boats that are rarely raced. What is the harm in having a consistent resource that a new guy can look into before he builds something that doesn't qualify. There are also some ideas to make some outboard continuity between the two major model racing organizations. That would sure be a bad thing. Mic
Since you don't sit on the IMPBA board you don't get to hear the other side from members saying things like how we already have too many classes that spread us too thin, it creates separation amongst boaters, etc, etc. As I have said before if the boats like these Mod VP's are out there then let's bring them out into the forefront at other events besides the Tunnel Champs to remove the doubt. Is that such a difficult thing to do if the numbers are there? Mark's a great guy and his integrity is and was never in question, if he wants to help write rules then my suggestion would be for someone else to write them with his input so the manufacturers card is off the table completely. And Mic there is no "condescending" issue here but lately I've grown to expect such comments from you. Yes I used to race tunnels and had a blast when I did but just because I stopped doesn't mean I don't support them and will continue to do so for the classes that remain strong. Since you brought up Sport B tunnels yes that's a great class the deserves the support but getting it to where it is now was an adventure to say the least and why the go/no go tech'ing came to be and needs to stay that way in my opinion. Bottom line is very simple, if a proposed class is something viable for the entire organization and not a sporadic and/or localized thing then I'm all for it.

Quite a number of my hulls are in Canada, and several of the north mid west states. I know some Longboards went to Canada and Northeast U.S. A conservative total number would be 50.
Mark a question was posed to me by an IMPBA member in an e-mail earlier today asking if it would be proper for the organization to write rules for a class with a lone manufacturer. After thinking about it would you have any issues with supplying the specifications and allowing others to build/copy the Mod-VP design themselves?

There are only a few willing to split hairs that far imho - if in fact thats the case. There are many ways to make a LEGAL ModVp -under the current rules that WE gentlemen - choose to adhere too- With many different production boats avail to all- dont make crap where it aint is what I'm saying. AND IF in fact thats where you want to go- then there is your proof that there is a need for CLEARLY defined rules -_-

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks to Mic and then Don for getting quickly my integrity off the table here.

A couple of things need to be cleared up. I am NOT the lone builder of these boats. Starting in 2007 Mic, the Junkers and then the Masons got onboard with designs of their own. I believe it was at the 2008 tunnel champs is where we had something like 16 boats entered and 5 different types built by different people. I got the ball rolling yes but the cold hard fact is the Vision has set the latest bar for the class and I more than anyone am glad to see it. I wanted this class on the RC map to enhance the outboards. You have also missed one of the biggest points about this class. The rules (scroll back up and read) make it possible to use existing boats...a LOT of existing boats. If I were in this just for me then why would I do that?

Don, there is no such thing as a patent on a boat (Supreme Court decided that) I have no rights to this or any other design. A one design spec class is not what we want. We want a dozen different designs to show up at a race that fall into the above criteria. But it needs a stamp of approval before a lot of people will jump into it. This is the point.

Bob wanted ideas. I would not even care if someone else who knew what a great thing VT-OPC could be picked up the flag and ran with it.

oh o, take a deep breath Don ;) then let them have it :)
LMAO. :D
Andy, does NAMBA have a Mod-VP class yet? Maybe you should start in your own org. in regards to talking about creating rules since to date we can't seem to coax you into getting out of your backyard and coming north a little to play in IMPBA country. :p

Yes Marty I ran 21 and 45 tunnels and had a lot fun with them but no longer run anything inboard or outboard with pistons smaller than my thumb. :lol:

Thank you Mark for clearing up how many different boats there are, I'm not the only one who thought "Mod-VP" was exclusive to you. :rolleyes:

And for those who seem to keep missing it, YES if the numbers are there I'll support it. There still is plenty of racing left for this season, how about a few clubs around the IMPBA see if they can add a Mod-VP class to get some exposure especially since outside of the tunnel heads most don't even know what one looks like. ;)

And finally..... at the risk of Mic getting his panties wadded again "show me the money!!" :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

what is the price of a outboard MoDVp comepaired to a TWIN what ever
Marty to answer your question. What's the price of a mod vp compared to any twin example;

my Roadrunner Twin Extreme III with CMB 101RS engines RTR and throwing it in the water can exceed 5k easy if you buy everything brand new and the best equipment money can buy in today's market.

The price of a Mod VP not sure but is nothing compared to Twin hydro.

For the record I love mod VP's there very exciting to watch. I have drove one and have owned 2 of them a OMC and Longboard great boats.

For the price of a new CMB 101RS Evo engine you can buy a Mod VP RTR in good condition used ;-)

Julian

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, i will bring a set of the mod vp rules to our race. we have been using these rules for 5 or so years. i betcha i could get a mod vp class together for our d-12 race.......

No need to "find one", i have 2 HTV's. got ya covered! ron, james, dick? you guys, me & don make 5.......

And don't forget that in my first post in this thread I stated that kneelers deserve a place in the rules. B) It is interesting that many years ago when RC outboards came out that kneelers did not get the nod in the rules before tunnels. After all, the life size kneeler hydros have been around what......since the 1940's ?

Don, if you have ever read into the NAMBA rule book, they leave a lot of decisions to the race directors. If 2 OB tunnels, 2 OB hydros and 2 OB monos show up, the CD can put them all in the same race so that there will be a 6 boat heat instead of "sorry, not enough boats for a class". I suppose everyone in the race understands that the top three are getting a prize amd the bottom three are not no matter the hull type. :lol:

Maybe we need "run whatcha brung outboard". Otto could run his turn table, Ron Shaw could run his Leecraft, Atwells could run gassers, throw in the kneelers and I could run my VT-OPC (but it would not be a 20 boat!) Can't imagine what Bob would build for this class. :eek:

Back