Outboard rules and class ideas needed

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Kensill

I have been appointed as National Outboard Director for IMPBA (I held this position from 1986 through1998) and would like some input from racers, and non-racers, on the current rules and classes for outboards. What would you like to see changed, and how? What would you like to see added or removed, as far as rules and classes go? What do you personally like or dislike. My intent is to help make racing more fun, more competitive and more affordable. I would like to make some guidelines for new rules and classes that are easy to read, understand and follow. I welcome posts here, PMs or email ([email protected]) thanks

Bob Kensill

Bear with me here . I am new to the hobbie. How about a dead stock class using a kneeldown hydro like ML Boatworks make with OS outboard..Using the OS everyone would have the same motor.Easy to purchase whole motor. Run it exactly like it comes from manufacture. Changing nothing. same powerhead,same lower uniy same exh manifold and pipe supplied by manufacture.Only thing you can change is prop.. You have to have great starts, great setups, and great props. It will be very competative because everyone will be on the same level. Just like APBA stock outboard. Great for beginners. One boat and NO TOUCH motor. What do you say? This isnt about speed. It is about being on the same racing level. You have to earn it.!!!

A few years ago when I got started in the hobby. I felt that sport tunnel was confusing. As I understood in NAMBA, you can not touch the motor. In IMPBA, you can make any mods internally. I just felt as a lot of people start out in sport tunnel it would be more competitive if the motor must remain untouched. With the exception of the prop.

TL

This is going to open up a can of worms.

The rules have worked this long ,why change ,you might make people get out of tunnels and we don't wan't that.

My 2 cents

The reason for this post is to find out what people want. When I first started running IMPBA races, there were no outboard classes. I ran my .21 tunnel in the hydro class. I was Outboard Director when the rules were being established. I want to close a few loopholes and clarify a few rules that are not working or not followed properly. At the WTC race in Charleston, for example, they run a class called "40 Outlaw Tunnel". The rules are very simple, any 40 size outboard, but no tuned pipes. I would like to put rules got this class in the rule book so others clubs could run this class at their races. I would like to propose that the name would be changed to " D Superstock Tunnel". I would like to add "B" and "E" classes to this too. Give me your thoughts and ideas, so we can accommodate everybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
Similar to Bob I started back far enough we only had an outboard mono class before tunnels came to be and sometimes had to run with the .21 inboards. We came from a ,21 class then added a .45 class as equipment evolved. Stock/Sport then completed the now big 3 as a.21 class. To me the next logical class as Bob stated would be a .45 superstock class similar to what Charleston has established. I campaigned on here a couple years back and got much resistance from many who just don't want another class. Meanwhile gas goes on making classic crackerskiff and whatever hull that was ever dreamed of a new class. They feel local rules are all that are needed for outboards. Local rules work but national rules really encourage investment in building equipment.

For discussion I feel if any new classes are needed a .45 superstock or .21 Mod VP should head the list. After that we could look into specific FE rules for tunnels. I don't see the FE community going past a spec tunnel class which IMPBA doesn't officially recognize. Local rules again.

Charleston has been a showcase of outboard trends. look at the numbers there over a number years and you see what is relevant to the outboard community.

Mic

Last edited by a moderator:
The issue is engines. In the old days there was K&B. Now there are only OS and Thunder Tiger with 3.5 cc engines. There are no more large nitro engines or anything else that is mass produced and easily available. Outboard engines, except for the above two, now need to be assembled by experienced racers.

Where is the future? In electrics the P spec outboards have been spectacularly successful in my area. They are running about as fast as 3.5 mod or 7.5 stock boats with moderate cost equipment. Yes, they still need to be assembled by experienced racers, but the parts are easily available at reasonable prices. A Q spec class with 7,5 sized hulls could be the next step. There is a lot of thought that needs to go into what equipment should be allowed and how it should be specified.

Gas outboards are another area. People have made some straight forward (but ugly) lower units that work well. Insane, Lawless, and others have units for sale. Again everything needs to be assembled by experienced modelers, but the parts are still moderate in cost. The big boats are tolerant of rougher conditions and a couple of good hulls are available. A huge variety of power heads are available so an eye needs to be kept on costs when writing the rules. If you go displacement only the costs will get out of hand and the available lower units probably won''t hold up.

In both gas and electric, I believe spec classes are the way to go. We had de facto spec classes with K&B. When Zenoahs were king the same applied to the gas boats. Sure, you could modify the engines, but the base units were very similar. Look at the success of thunderboats with spec engines. I believe some form of restricted equipment selection will help keep outboards popular.

Lohring Miller

Rumrunner, The idea is to have a dead stock class with everyone at the same playing level. You would be surprsed how competative it really is.. You wouldnt drive people out of tunnel. It would be a seperate class. You have 2 totaly diff. boat styles..By purchasing the whole motor you are making it easier to get started in a class. Keeping it stock means the average guy doesnt have to be a mechanic to modify and it keeps the cost down. The $$$$ and experiance dont win, The guy who works at it WINS!!! 2 more cents..................Tony

Bob,

What we have now:

From the national level my feelings are to officially put the classes on hold that don’t have motor support. A, E and F boats knowing full well that they “Could” come back. It just relieves some of the strain on the amount of classes offered. If motors come back great, they grow again like they should.

IMPBA Sport 21 Tunnel is probably the most successful tunnel class in IMPBA history. The motor rules ARE responsible for this so to me this class needs no changing.

B OB is fine the way it is and will always be the class that is hit and miss from the club level. It’s a money game to some and truth is a lot of work to get competitive in.

New:

Would love to see a Sport 45 Tunnel class on the books as well. I like what is currently going on and support that 100%.

A new “Stock” class is always a great idea.. That is until somebody has to police it. Until it can be better defined, it will do more damage than good.

From the racing perspective I am the wrong guy to add any input to the FE classes.

Thank you for taking this on and opening the door for our input!

Grimracer (Past IMPBA OB Director)

Rumrunner, The idea is to have a dead stock class with everyone at the same playing level. You would be surprsed how competative it really is.. You wouldnt drive people out of tunnel. It would be a seperate class. You have 2 totaly diff. boat styles..By purchasing the whole motor you are making it easier to get started in a class. Keeping it stock means the average guy doesnt have to be a mechanic to modify and it keeps the cost down. The $$$$ and experiance dont win, The guy who works at it WINS!!! 2 more cents..................Tony
I understand what your saying but the problem is well would all have to buy into the class with new boats that are slower than what we already have .if you wan't a drivers class build a p spec there all equal in production parts.

I would like to see IMPBA. Officially recognize a P LTD tunnel and sport hydro class.

TL

Good thread Bob. I'm glad to see you are taking the bull by the horns on input from members. I know we have not had an active outboard director in a few years and the outboard classes are very popular in your area. I know you have been an outboard guy for many years and will do an outstanding job as IMPBA National Outboard Director. Thanks for stepping up.

Welcome back, Bob. The two B tunnel classes thrive because the existing rules are easy to comply to and enforce, and complete outboard engines that can compete within the rules are readily available. D tunnel is nearly extinct in most,of the country because complete outboard engines have not been readily available for quite a long while. Several excellent power heads exist, but the currently available lower units for one reason or another fall short as a replacement for the no longer manufactured K&B lower unit. For many boaters their future in outboard boats is with electric power, so attention to establishing those classes should be a priority for the growth and prosperity of outboard racing in this organization.

Larry

Do you guys think that the fast electric outboard classes should come under the jurisdiction of the nitro outboard rules, or the fast electric rules, and why?

Let the FE guys propose a P spec,they know what works most of us dont. I have the parts to put one together and would do so at some point. BUT we already offer 20 classes at our races and something has to give.

Thanks Mike, let' here from some racers that run nitro and fast electric. I would still like to here some thoughts about the "Superstock" class.

I like the outlaw 40 class it's a great class, wouldn't want nothing to change , except it to be a real class.

Latest posts

Back