Orlic or Zoom carb?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
PACK OF LIES! I tell ya! What really happened was it was 40F. and raining off and on so Tim and I met at the ta ta bar that the Bikers hang at for Happy Hour. We decided on a three flip coin toss to decide the battle and it went down like this: First flip Tim scored with a correct call of heads. Second flip...I eeked out a win when after it rolled around on the table, for a bit, the coin flopped down tails. On the third toss the coin took a bad bounce of Tim's shot glass and careened out of site under the juke box. After a good laugh we shook hands,agreed to vote for each other in the up coming club elections and bought each other a lap dance.

Disclaimer:NO Orlic or Zoom carbs were injured or abused in the fabrication of this story.

Larry

Last edited by a moderator:
PACK OF LIES! I tell ya! What really happened was it was 40F. and raining off and on so Tim and I met at the ta ta bar that the Bikers hang at for Happy Hour. We decided on a three flip coin toss to decide the battle and it went down like this: First flip Tim scored with a correct call of heads. Second flip...I eeked out a win when after it rolled around on the table, for a bit, the coin flopped down tails. On the third toss the coin took a bad bounce of Tim's shot glass and careened out of site under the juke box. After a good laugh we shook hands,agreed to vote for each other in the up coming club elections and bought each other a lap dance.

Disclaimer:NO Orlic or Zoom carbs were injured or abused in the fabrication of this story.

Larry
LOL sounds like good racing!!! :)

Hey Bro what have you been smoking???? JK
Not a thing, just got tired or the mindless chatter that had nothing to do with the topic posed. It is a good question and I was interested in the various reports, of the topic of course.

john im pretty sure he ment "joke" when he typed jk.... ;) ,,, i owned a zoom and they are beautiful.... :wub: .... i did however have issues when i had to make a throttle chop,,the engine would load up,,and take a couple seconds to come back on..... i ended up going back to the 20J.... oh by the way it was on a o.s .30 vg on a tt lower..... the zoom performed at wot,,, but would mess up the mojo when the throttle was chopped,, my guess would be the excessive pressure in the system after wot.......

Don't know why but I'll jump in regarding the original post. Other than a messed up Lynx this year, I've compared an Orlic .340 barrel with Steve Wood mod Nova carb (with bell mouth) on a mod Nova for the past 4 yrs. Both run identical, great speed transition and throttlability (sp), I run the Orlic on the Lynx just cause. Have a Zoom just haven't had time to test and happy with the others. I've learned having the ability to transition without puking the motor when let off is high on my list.

Wallster's $.02 worth

Don't know why but I'll jump in regarding the original post. Other than a messed up Lynx this year, I've compared an Orlic .340 barrel with Steve Wood mod Nova carb (with bell mouth) on a mod Nova for the past 4 yrs. Both run identical, great speed transition and throttlability (sp), I run the Orlic on the Lynx just cause. Have a Zoom just haven't had time to test and happy with the others. I've learned having the ability to transition without puking the motor when let off is high on my list.Wallster's $.02 worth
Wally

Want to sell the Zoom?

TL

Hey Wally! My results testing different carbs on my Speedmaster mono with a REX 350 in it are very similar to yours,though I tested the early production Zoom with the big bell,a D&J, a Steve Wood prepped Nova carb, and the OS 20j that was on the engine when I got it. I don't know if the OS carb has been reworked at all but it still retains the full spray bar across the venturi. I could not detect any noticeable difference in performance between any of these carbs on that boat running 60% nitro, and a single exhaust outlet Cooper muffled pipe set at 8" and a 1614 ABC chopper. On the other hand as far as CMB and Mac carbs are concerned, every one I have sent to Rod Geraghty to rework has resulted in an engine that started easier,ran and transitioned between throttle position smoother showed an increase in rpm's at full throttle.

Larry

Got you Mark, my error, just my initials. Now back to the regular scheduled channel.

The real effect of this thread is again, that here is no single solution or silver bullet. We all run various hulls, power heads, lowers, pipes, props, etc. How we set them up determines how well they run for our locations and needs. I run only NovaRossi OB engines and generally use Speedmaster, D&J, P/B or Orlic mod NR carbs. So some of those other options do not fit my needs. I have been told, by a world record holder many times over, that an Orlic .340 carb is best for an OB, in particular a NR, and a .350 bore for a IB. I have a zoom carb on my NR OB and it runs slightly better than a Speedmaster with absolutely full range throttle upon demand and no hestitation. A backup OB engine does not like it as it has different engine timings. I have recently obtained an Orlic .350 but have yet to try it out on anything. Will do it soon.

John,

What are you running on your Picco 45?

Just Curious,

Others,

We run Zoom 21's & I have a few Zoom 12's and they all work very well

through all throttle ranges. I think the Zooms work the best with a few engine

modifications so you can take advantage of the better fuel flow. I have not

tried any of Franko's carbs. so I can't tell you anything on them.

Mark Sholund

John,

Others,

We run Zoom 21's & I have a few Zoom 12's and they all work very well

through all throttle ranges. I think the Zooms work the best with a few engine

modifications so you can take advantage of the better fuel flow. I have not

tried any of Franko's carbs. so I can't tell you anything on them.

Mark Sholund
I have 2 running 45 boats with another boat being tested. All Piccos with the Picco modified carb. I have another Picco with an experimential carb that I want to test further. But is the best of the group, no question. And it is a Zoom modified to fit a Picco.

John,

Looks like you finally "reeled in" this thread and back on task of talking about carbs. Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the "smack" talking as well...... ;) As far as .21 carbs are concerned, I still like the old .345 bore K&B red carb which is right in between the two carbs John mentioned. The neck is .437 but with the right adapter, it will fit just about anything, and at $35 new, it's hard to beat...... ;)

.350 bore Orlic is just fine on the fastest OB i have seen (Mr Ozspec)

Kris Flynn not far behind with the same carb i think
Pulse, The RB Concept C6 I put one of Lights ob conversions in to run next season on my Lynx will be broken in and tested first with a .350 bore Orlic carb I have. I have access to one of the smaller bore versions also to see which one is more suited to the OB application. What pipes do Aaron and Kris run on their boats?

Back