ODMBA 16th Annual Invitational August 23rd & 24th

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My entry will be in the mail tomorrow. B tunnel, B hydro, D hydro & F hydro. Bringing several CMB members with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know the district has been running Cracker Boxes with Jersey Skiffs but how does IMPBA feel about the district offering and running a class they don't recognize or define like Jersey Skiff? It's not in the rules anywhere. As a Cracker box driver, I think it is unfair to lump the better handling skiffs with the Crackers.

Why not have two classes? If there are not enough if either, then so be it. But having them run together, I don't think is legal or right.

:(

I know the district has been running Cracker Boxes with Jersey Skiffs but how does IMPBA feel about the district offering and running a class they don't recognize or define like Jersey Skiff? It's not in the rules anywhere. As a Cracker box driver, I think it is unfair to lump the better handling skiffs with the Crackers.
Why not have two classes? If there are not enough if either, then so be it. But having them run together, I don't think is legal or right.

:(
There is nothing "illegal" about it as long as it's on the flyer. I've seen some darn fast crackers at some races I've been to that will run just as fast as a skiff. By combining them if it makes enough to run a class so more guys can play then "so be it" as you say. If you have a problem with it you can take it up with me privately though an e-mail (not here) but don't expect it to change. Crackers have been dying off in D12 over the last couple seasons while we've recently seen a growth spurt in skiff, don't be surprised to see the class become just skiffs by next season.

Why not have two classes? If there are not enough if either, then so be it.
Frank, according to my records after 3 district races we've had a total of 8 boats in cracker/skiff. At Greensboro, we had 3 skiffs and no crackers.

Chuck, Your records bare out my point. Cracker box class has always been challenging to drive. I think was intended to bring an entry level boat into the hobby. When we mix skiffs with them just to make a field, the cracker can't keep up so the cracker entrys in the class drop off to zero. If the skiff is an entry level boat then IMPBA needs to define it and sanction their racing.

Chuck, Your records bare out my point. Cracker box class has always been challenging to drive. I think was intended to bring an entry level boat into the hobby. When we mix skiffs with them just to make a field, the cracker can't keep up so the cracker entrys in the class drop off to zero. If the skiff is an entry level boat then IMPBA needs to define it and sanction their racing.
Enough of this BS on this thread, cracker has never been even remotely strong in D12 and now is all but dead. If skiff & cracker together allows guys to run who otherwise would be on the sidelines then that's what will happen. Sorry if you do not like that but that's the way it goes. <_<

At our race last year we also only had three. I'm not entirely certain who had what, but from looking at the names, I think there were 2 crackers and one skiff. If this is right, the top two places were won by the crackers. Based on the small turnout of either class, the bottom line was that we were either going to offer a combined class, or none at all.

I don't know the reason why crackerbox interest is dropping off. I do recall when I first watched them that they looked like they were a fairly simple class that was fun to run and focused more on driving than raw speed. When tuned pipes started replacing cannister mufflers, and the speeds started getting higher and higher, my personal observation was that they went from being a very unique class to just another piped mono class throwing up big roostertails. The pipes also seemed to give them extra power that often pushes them over the performance capabilities of their hulls. If Crackerbox was intended to bring entry level boaters into the hobby, was it perhaps a mistake to open the class up to tuned pipes, which puts the handing on the lunatic fringe? The answer doesn't really matter because the votes have been cast and the class is what it is...

You and I are in violent agreement! I guess my basic problem is that we are sanctioned by IMPBA and they do not recognize Jersey Skiff as a class. Therefore, there is no set of rules to go by that might limit the class enabling an entry level to new competitors or old farts like me! You are right, in that, it was a mistake to allow tuned pipes (although enclosed in the hull is a requirement) in Crackers.

I guess Novice or Stock gas is supposed to be the entry level class. Maybe I should do what James did in D tunnel and try something to generate interest in the class instead of just griping about it here.

You and I are in violent agreement! I guess my basic problem is that we are sanctioned by IMPBA and they do not recognize Jersey Skiff as a class. Therefore, there is no set of rules to go by that might limit the class enabling an entry level to new competitors or old farts like me! You are right, in that, it was a mistake to allow tuned pipes (although enclosed in the hull is a requirement) in Crackers. I guess Novice or Stock gas is supposed to be the entry level class. Maybe I should do what James did in D tunnel and try something to generate interest in the class instead of just griping about it here.
I don't normally get "politcally" involved on here - post the flyer once a year and push our invitational - but WAAAY to kidnap a thread GOOD GRIEF! Our club normally has a good turnout for crackerbox, the only issue being we switched to Saturday vs. Sunday racing and that has hindered some folks on occasion from making the race. One of our guys builds them and they're getting faster and make for good competition.

Just come and have some fun racing for crying out loud.

You and I are in violent agreement! I guess my basic problem is that we are sanctioned by IMPBA and they do not recognize Jersey Skiff as a class. Therefore, there is no set of rules to go by that might limit the class enabling an entry level to new competitors or old farts like me! You are right, in that, it was a mistake to allow tuned pipes (although enclosed in the hull is a requirement) in Crackers. I guess Novice or Stock gas is supposed to be the entry level class. Maybe I should do what James did in D tunnel and try something to generate interest in the class instead of just griping about it here.
I don't normally get "politcally" involved on here - post the flyer once a year and push our invitational - but WAAAY to kidnap a thread GOOD GRIEF! Our club normally has a good turnout for crackerbox, the only issue being we switched to Saturday vs. Sunday racing and that has hindered some folks on occasion from making the race. One of our guys builds them and they're getting faster and make for good competition.

Just come and have some fun racing for crying out loud.
Congratulations Christi, made the Quote of the week. :D :D

First, letting tuned pipes and mod motors went totally against the originial intent of Crackerbox. So that screwed up the class.

Secondly, letting the obviously faster skiff run also screwed up the the class. Therefore smaller numbers.

Thirdly, bring your skiffs because I am throwing "the boy" on you this year as well. He placed second last year with a Crackerbox because the skiffs were obviously faster than their drivers.

Walk the walk or get punked. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Bud Light on sale at Food Lion for $11.99 a case.

A little hint as to my new "spanking machine". It's 20 hp, six feet long and will run in stock gas, open offshore, and gas hydro. Nothing in the "District" rules about that.

Hey, I just sent in my paper work to Don over the weekend. And YES I will be bringing my Cracker!!!! And hope that John Finch doesnt take me to school in sport hydro at this race!!! LOL I will have a buzy weekend also, running 6 classes. What the heck, I will be worn out when I get home, might as well have a good excuse for it!!!!

John Crouch

Hey, I just sent in my paper work to Don over the weekend. And YES I will be bringing my Cracker!!!! And hope that John Finch doesnt take me to school in sport hydro at this race!!! LOL I will have a buzy weekend also, running 6 classes. What the heck, I will be worn out when I get home, might as well have a good excuse for it!!!!
John Crouch
John, Only running two boats, look me up if you need a pitman. B) B)

John Crouch
John, Only running two boats, look me up if you need a pitman. B) B)
Ray, I will take you up on that for sure!!!

John C

Just lined up security and also working on having the Navy Chief Petty Officer Selectees come out and feed us again this year.

Also I am available to pit for gas boats when I'm not doing club stuff or having to "police" you boys; And "the boy" is also quite the pit man when he's free from pitting for Preston as well (I don't know how he feels about me volunteering him, but it'll keep him out of trouble). Just holler. Should be enough folks around if anyone needs help.

A decision was made tonight by the ODMBA club to cancel the RTR class due to ZERO entries. :unsure:

i'm not griping, & i don't run rtr, but cancelling a class 11 days before the deadline :huh: ???????????????

i'm not griping, & i don't run rtr, but cancelling a class 11 days before the deadline :huh: ???????????????
Well if you'd like to pony up and pay for the trophies for a class that has ZERO entires then I'd bet they'd be glad to reinstate it. Normally they would have a couple by now but they don't & the trophies are getting ordered today. I agreed to take the entries again this year for the ODMBA club & it is not my call to make. :blink:

Latest posts

Back