Nostalgic boat from Indy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow Bob. You got the dirt on all of us. :p :ph34r: :unsure:
Yes! Look at all of that HAIR on that Skinny guy! LOL I think his name is Finch. LOL

I can say that used to read those articals that John Finch and others wrote and looked at theses photos Over and Over again.

I even had the privilage of having Roy "Rooster" Cogburn pit for me and my 40 Gator back in those days. Lots of great running Gators in the Miami club! Pinckert's Twin 45 on mini pipes was AWESOME.
And the 'stach too, and it wasn't even Movember! :p

Hey Terry,

The Gator article is in the September 1977 Flying Models issue.

I was just sent the cover page, and a description of how he got the Gator to pose with the Gator:

"The funny is how I got that Gator to co-operate.

It seems gators have a sweet tooth, so on the way to the glades I picked up a package of cinnamon rolls. I tossed them around the boat and here it came. Big problem was having to wait for it to eat all of the rolls to take the shot. I have pics of rolls all around the boat and the gator chomping away. I got a few bite marks."

CHEERS !!! Bob

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Norm,

That was the Old Dominion Model Boat Association site that was just lost a couple years ago in Chesapeake, VA. ODMBA was a very small club back then, but was able to put on what was a good, but COLD Internats. Chuck Mooney's RV behind the judges stand was the only thing that saved use from the elements, and kept us in hot coffee. OK, maybe the Rebel Yell bourbon that occasionally made it's way to the stand helped too. The Southern Gentlemen were sly and devious, and under no circumstance should be trusted back then - - but much appreciated by Paul and myself. Thanks again Guys !!!! Indian River High School (I believe) was behind the site, houses beyond and to the left of the HS. State Police Headquarters was to the right. We enjoyed that site for MANY years and had the support of Fire Fighters, local Police, and the Scouts at that race , and I believe it was a positive experience for all that attended. I was transferred from NORVA in 1980 and the club at that site were still going strong.

The bank was fairly well elevated above water level for those that are now weak of heart, but the pond was actually a little small for SAW event, but we made due. A lot more fun those many years ago. The boaters actually appreciated things rather than bad mouthing as so prevalent today.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey Terry,

I was just sent the cover page, and a description of how he got the Gator to pose with the Gator:

It seems gators have a sweet tooth, so on the way to the glades I picked up a package of cinnamon rolls. I tossed them around the boat and here it came. Big problem was having to wait for it to eat all of the rolls to take the shot. I have pics of rolls all around the boat and the gator chomping away. I got a few bite marks."

CHEERS !!! Bob
That's it! Any chance you have the article?

That was my 1st rigger, went to the '78 INDY Unlimited with it! :p

Hey Terry,

CHEERS !!! Bob
That's it! Any chance you have the article?

That was my 1st rigger, went to the '78 INDY Unlimited with it! :p
I built my 40 Gator according to the modifications that Ackerman suggested in that artical. I raced the boat at the 1978 NAMBA nats. I think that was my second race and I placed 25th out of 49 boats (2 Firsts and 2 DNF's). It was fast when it got on pipe, but it did not get up in two heats.

It was a hugh NAMBA nats held at Naples, Fla. They ran SAW's too. The California guys came out, all of the Indy guys and of course the Florida guys...probably some girls too! :) ...even Pinckert raced! :ph34r:

.......even Pinckert raced! :ph34r:

Hey Andy,

OOOOOOO, Cheap shot. Had you built the Gator as directed by the designer it probably would have got up in every heat. These young guys today - always have to try to make changes to things they don't understand.

Good thing Don doesn't do this "Talk Show" - there might have been a return volley. Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! bob

.......even Pinckert raced! :ph34r:

Hey Andy,

OOOOOOO, Cheap shot. Had you built the Gator as directed by the designer it probably would have got up in every heat. These young guys today - always have to try to make changes to things they don't understand.

Good thing Don doesn't do this "Talk Show" - there might have been a return volley. Har, Har !!! CHEERS !!! bob
Naw...I was running a pipe at 8.25" with a cut down 1465. After my first year of trying to have the fastest boat I started running a 1462, (like the directions suggested) LOL and it got on pipe eveytime. :)

Bob was nice enough to send me the article, thought it was by John Ackerman but it was Bob Findley:

Cover1.jpg
From Don himself:

Bob,

The funny is how I got that Gator to co-operate.

It seems gators have a sweet tooth, so on the way to the glades I picked up a package of cinnamon rolls. I tossed them around the boat and here it came. Big problem was having to wait for it to eat all of the rolls to take the shot. I have pics of rolls all around the boat and the gator chomping away.

I got a few teeth marks.

Don

Gator_-_Gator.JPG

Page_%231new.jpg

Page_%232new.jpg

%232bnew.jpg

Page_%233new.jpg

%233bnew~0.jpg

Attachments

• FM 0576 Hughey 50 Pg59.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 77
  • FM 0576 Hughey 50 Pg60.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 42
  • FM 0576 Hughey 50 Pg61.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • FM 0576 Hughey 50 Pg62.pdf
    1.7 MB · Views: 55
Bob was nice enough to send me the article, thought it was by John Ackerman but it was Bob Findley:

Cover1.jpg
From Don himself:

Bob,

The funny is how I got that Gator to co-operate.

It seems gators have a sweet tooth, so on the way to the glades I picked up a package of cinnamon rolls. I tossed them around the boat and here it came. Big problem was having to wait for it to eat all of the rolls to take the shot. I have pics of rolls all around the boat and the gator chomping away.

I got a few teeth marks.

Don

Gator_-_Gator.JPG

Page_%231new.jpg

Page_%232new.jpg

%232bnew.jpg

Page_%233new.jpg

%233bnew~0.jpg
Ackerman hates working with wood, heard him say that more than once. :)

Another memory the pictures of Ed's boats reminded of is that one year in Detroit at the Mini Gold Cup he had his throttle servo up front out in the open and sealed with bees wax to waterproof. It ran just fine, I don't know how long he ran it that way but it was unique, like the rest of Ed's innovative ideas.

John

man the good ol days of hard shafts.. WOOD SCREWED RADIOBOX LIDS WITH SILICONE and HARD WOOD SOLID MOTOR MOUNTS LOL!!!!

Sometimes it's nice to know where you've been so you'll better know a direction to go.

These should put you right over the edge, Chris.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Latest posts

Back