Nostalgic boat from Indy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,

what a tread. The Dragonfly was the one and never fullfiled wish when i was young.It was impossible to get Dumas kit here over in Germany at this time.My aunt from CA sent me a RC Modeler mag where i saw the Advertisment from Dumas and Octura all this boy dreams .

But 2 years ago i found a kit of a Octura White Heat 60 partial build with the original steering strut .Some parts are lost but possible to redesign. Will be my winterproject and in the lipo and electric powerdays i want to run it full electric.

Boats and so 061.jpg

Boats and so 062.jpg

"It was Pinckert's first boat."

"I suspected Pinckert was involved with it somehow. It has resemblence to the fiberglass Sport .60 Hydros that he was building in the early/mid 70's"

Hey Andy,

The hull was a Gary Preusse/Earl Mundt 'Super Challenger' , Engine - a Cox 140 ignition converted to glow. How about that fly wheel. Don said the radio was an O.S. two channel. First boat radio I owned was a Kraft 3 channel - kind of proportional. Was a lot better than the super het reed sets the airplane guys had used years before. I still recall the old Orbit airplane radios.

I believe the hull you are talking about was the George Muller Big Hoss, 40 size was the Li'l Hoss. Later on someone there in Miami made a new deck that was stepped to give it some strength and had a small cowl as part of the forward deck molded in. Seems to me they were called Thunderboats

DP said this hull had a McCoy 60 in it originally John, as yours did. We were all in high cotton when the Super Tiger G 65 came out.

Bill K,

I believe I have a pic of one of Ed Kalfus' hand made .90s on the other computer I'll post later.

Bob B.

The first radio I ever saw was Dr. Walt Good's - Galloping Ghost I believe. Thansmitter was housed in the trunk of his car, had a controller larger than a bread box with a huge cable to the transmitter. Airplane was high wing - rudder and elevator only. The used escapements for movement, power by a wound up rubber band, rudder and elevator constantly fluttering. as state of the art back then.

Marchin' down memory lane Huh, Nails??? CHEERS !!! Bob

OK, here is something. June 1962 Popular Mechanics. I read this article at 14 and realized that RC boats were becoming real. See the pics of the White Heat V.

Image1.jpg

Image2.jpg

Image3.jpg

Here are two of my boats from the 70s or 80s. I think these were Prather Piranhas. Sort of an epoxy glass version of a Wing Ding. These ran pretty well.

img362.jpg

img364.jpg

Can relate to all those radio box screws. What a pain. And no matter what we did, there was always water in the radio box. Used to wrap the receiver and battery in zip loc bags too!

Tom

Hi,

what a tread. The Dragonfly was the one and never fullfiled wish when i was young.It was impossible to get Dumas kit here over in Germany at this time.My aunt from CA sent me a RC Modeler mag where i saw the Advertisment from Dumas and Octura all this boy dreams .

But 2 years ago i found a kit of a Octura White Heat 60 partial build with the original steering strut .Some parts are lost but possible to redesign. Will be my winterproject and in the lipo and electric powerdays i want to run it full electric.
Christian,

I posted some pics from the original article on the White Heat V from Popular Mechanics magazine, June, 1962. Here is a link to the entre article: http://books.google.ca/books?id=mtwDAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q&f=false

Look on page 124. Too bad you didn't know anybody in the US who could have bought a Dragonfly kit and sent it to Germany.

Bob B.

I still have a Drag N Fli 20 and 40 that I built from in 70's. The 40 boat has a period correct OS 45. The Drag N Fli was the only Dumas kit that used birch ply for the frames. That's probably why it lasted so long.

I need to put 10 oz of lead in the nose to bring the balance to 1/2" behind the sponson. I still enjoy running it today.

dragnfli40.jpg

Good Morning Bob,

thanks for the link ,thats cool don´t know that the boat start with a single step. My version is somthing of a four step tunnel hydro.

Your epoxy wing ding from Prather ,do they use the motor and outrigger parts original from Octura .They look like the extruded aluminium Octura use. Very cool to .

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an article covering the Indy Unlimited in the November 1976 issue of Flying Models. Good stuff. Seeing the pictures posted of the Hughey Hydros and Wing Dings brought back good memories. I had to dig up these old magazine articles. One of my favorite model boat races was in 1977 in Marysville, California in District 9 between a Hughey Hydro and an outrigger (Wing Ding I think). It was a deck to deck dual and neither racer gave so much as an inch! Great driving. Last lap, last corner, the Hughey hydro stuffed and a flat panel or cover fluttered way up in the air before splashing down. Good times.FM 1176 Indy Unlimited Pg64.pdfFM 1176 Indy Unlimited Pg65.pdf

Attachments

• FM 1176 Indy Unlimited Pg64.pdf
    1.8 MB · Views: 54
  • FM 1176 Indy Unlimited Pg65.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 49
My first boat was also a Drag N Fly 40 that I kit bashed , used a transom mount strut , 3 piece articulated hard shaft made from oil hardening drill rod and Octura universals . I installed a new HB 61 PDP and an OPS 60 open pipe . I ran the livin dogshiz out of that boat and broke so many cranks and rods from blowing it over !!! I raced it in St Pete in 1984 with a piped OS Max 61 FSR in it and did well . I have a brand new Fly 60 kit in the box and want to put one of my OPS 67 's in it . Thats what got me into RC boating ! I've got pics , just need a new scanner .

Last edited by a moderator:
Good Morning Bob,

thanks for the link ,thats cool don´t know that the boat start with a single step. My version is somthing of a four step tunnel hydro.

Your epoxy wing ding from Prather ,do they use the motor and outrigger parts original from Octura .They look like the extruded aluminium Octura use. Very cool to .
Christian,

I think only the outrigger parts (booms) and the motor mount were from Octura. The rest was from Prather.

Holy Smokes!! I had forgotten about the White Heat V, and John's Dial a Prop article put me right over the edge - Har, Har!!!

Here is the pic of Ed Kalfus hand made 90, one for you John, and Terry too.

I have an update for the Super Challenger. Radio was a Bonner 4 channel Digimite on 72.08. Cost back then was over $500.00 so was really BIG bucks back then. The hull was built for the Cox 140 and ran the only prop available then - an X-55. Tore the arse off the lake at 34 mph.

I'm starting to feel old, so I think I'll go fondle a CMB 67. CHEERS !!! Bob

December 1976 Flying Models article for 1976 IMPBA Internats.

Terry,

The Gator article isn't in this issue. CHEERS !!! Bob

Wow Bob. You got the dirt on all of us. :p :ph34r: :unsure:
Yes! Look at all of that HAIR on that Skinny guy! LOL I think his name is Finch. LOL

I can say that used to read those articals that John Finch and others wrote and looked at theses photos Over and Over again.

I even had the privilage of having Roy "Rooster" Cogburn pit for me and my 40 Gator back in those days. Lots of great running Gators in the Miami club! Pinckert's Twin 45 on mini pipes was AWESOME.

Back