Nostalgic boat from Indy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Bob,

Didn't you have one of the first "Logghe" 40 riggers? Did that Hughey boat have the polyurethane self skinning foam construction? I remember one year maybe 69 or 70 when I was first getting started and Ed was in Detroit for the Mini Gold Cup and was using his flex drive, speedometer cable, and had a 40 mounted in a frame with a flexshaft and prop and actually used the prop like a saw to cut a 2X4 to prove to John Bridge is was safe and strong. Ed's boat had a horseshoe shaped rudder mounted under the hull and props were stamped and solder to a threaded hub and screwed on the shaft. I saw him do a 360 loop with it that year.

John
Hi John, no I never had a Logghe rigger. My first rigger was a Wing Ding I think. Yes, Ed's boat was self skinning foam made in a horseshoe pattern. The center section was wood that fit into the horseshoe foam part. I thing either Ed or his brother Dee sold a product called Dial-a-Prop where you would make your own props as you described. I recall John Bridge starting his Lead Sled (geared together ST 67 engines) using an automobile starter motor applied to the propeller. I don't think I ever saw the Lead Sled lose a race.
Hi Bob,

No, John's starter never was applied to the prop, it was a tapered "Hockey Puck" on a 90 degree drill adapter that was matched to a auto starter (Chrysler I think cause John worked for them) the puck fit into a cone on one of the gears and spun both engines at the same time. I still have some of Dee's dial a props that people have given me, even a 3 blade. I made an epoxy mold for some sponsons as used the self skinning foam to mold them, they were light and would hold a 300 pound guy - we tested them that way.

Thanks, John

Ed Hughey. Us old guys should not be allowed to play this "guess what boat game". LOL

Engine is a Supertigre G-40.

Rudder is Marine Specialties.

Prop is a plastic Octura Z55.

Water line is Perfect brand large.

Hobbypoxy paint.

....and whoever has not experienced the JOY of installing 18 radio box screws has not lived. lol

Oh, and the photo is inverted too! :D
And just how old were you in 73 Andy? I think you were just a baby then! Bob that boat looks like it was never run.

John
John, I was 15 when I bought the kit and started building it. Finished and ran it when I was 16. It took me a year to buy all of the hardware....couldn't afford it all at once.

Attached is a photo of my Dragonfly. 40. Flying clean with O.S. Max .35 power. Proabably 25% nitro.

Have not found the still shot yet.

DSCF7440.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bob,

Didn't you have one of the first "Logghe" 40 riggers? Did that Hughey boat have the polyurethane self skinning foam construction? I remember one year maybe 69 or 70 when I was first getting started and Ed was in Detroit for the Mini Gold Cup and was using his flex drive, speedometer cable, and had a 40 mounted in a frame with a flexshaft and prop and actually used the prop like a saw to cut a 2X4 to prove to John Bridge is was safe and strong. Ed's boat had a horseshoe shaped rudder mounted under the hull and props were stamped and solder to a threaded hub and screwed on the shaft. I saw him do a 360 loop with it that year.

John
Hi Bob,

John
Hi John, no I never had a Logghe rigger. My first rigger was a Wing Ding I think. Yes, Ed's boat was self skinning foam made in a horseshoe pattern. The center section was wood that fit into the horseshoe foam part. I thing either Ed or his brother Dee sold a product called Dial-a-Prop where you would make your own props as you described. I recall John Bridge starting his Lead Sled (geared together ST 67 engines) using an automobile starter motor applied to the propeller. I don't think I ever saw the Lead Sled lose a race.
Here are two more pics of the Hughey boat sorry about the poor quality. These were taken a long time ago and scanned recently.
Bob, Those look like Joe Bishop parts (head, venturi, exhaust throttle) on the ST G40. I used Joe Bishop head, venturi, exhaust throttle on my ST X-40 once I put it in the dragonfly.

Joe Bishop ~ 'Bishop Marine Designs' That name is acutally what inspired my company name 'Competition Marine Designs'.

Wow! We are talking 40- 45 years ago. Great Fun!

Hi Bob,

John
Hi Bob,

No, John's starter never was applied to the prop, it was a tapered "Hockey Puck" on a 90 degree drill adapter that was matched to a auto starter (Chrysler I think cause John worked for them) the puck fit into a cone on one of the gears and spun both engines at the same time. I still have some of Dee's dial a props that people have given me, even a 3 blade. I made an epoxy mold for some sponsons as used the self skinning foam to mold them, they were light and would hold a 300 pound guy - we tested them that way.

Thanks, John
John, I must have it wrong on how John started the Lead Sled. I seem to recall somebody in Detroit starting boats on the prop shaft. Or maybe I just dreamed it... -_- Bob

Hi Bob,

John
Hi Bob,

John
Here are two more pics of the Hughey boat sorry about the poor quality. These were taken a long time ago and scanned recently.
Bob, Those look like Joe Bishop parts (head, venturi, exhaust throttle) on the ST G40. I used Joe Bishop head, venturi, exhaust throttle on my ST X-40 once I put it in the dragonfly.

Joe Bishop ~ 'Bishop Marine Designs' That name is acutally what inspired my company name 'Competition Marine Designs'.

Wow! We are talking 40- 45 years ago. Great Fun!
Andy, yes, I do think those parts were from Bishop! Back then we ran 1/4 wave tubes on the K&Bs or megaphone exhaust throttle setups on STs. I think they are the reason I wear hearing aides today. Those things were really loud.
As I now recall, my first rigger was not a Wing Ding, but rather a Crapshooter 20 that I bought new sometime in the 70s. We were putting Veco 19 engines in them. Bob Finley and John Ackerman were teaching guys like me how to mod them out.

OK Andy & John,

Let the games begin. What is this one?? Check the size of that radio box. And it was FULL. Har, Har !!!

John,

I remember the Dial-a-Prop you had in Norfolk. Come on man - throw some of that junk out!!! Har, Har !!!

That was what?? 1973 or so???

CHEERS !!! Bob

Hi Bob,

John
Hi Bob,

Thanks, John
John, I must have it wrong on how John started the Lead Sled. I seem to recall somebody in Detroit starting boats on the prop shaft. Or maybe I just dreamed it... -_- Bob
Hi Bob,

I remember seeing an article in one of the boat magizines about a set up with a pull start that ran off the prop end. I always thought it would be a lot of stress on those small set screws. I don't recall ever seeing anyone from our area starting from the prop end.

John

OK Andy & John,

Let the games begin. What is this one?? Check the size of that radio box. And it was FULL. Har, Har !!!

John,

I remember the Dial-a-Prop you had in Norfolk. Come on man - throw some of that junk out!!! Har, Har !!!

CHEERS !!! Bob
Bob, You need to find an OLDER guy for that one! LOL Kind makes me think of Pinckerts 'Hoss' 3 point hydro. What engine? O&R-Octura?

OK Andy & John,

John,

CHEERS !!! Bob
That's the original "Das Firespiten Louden Boomer"

John

DOES ANYBODY KNOW IF ANY OF THOSE DIAL-A-PROPS EVER WORKED OUT? WAS THERE EVER A DIAL-A-PROP THAT WAS

SUPERIOR TO OCTURA LINE,JG,PRATHER? ANDY,JOHN,BOB. WOULD IT WORK IN TODAYS RC BOATS? THANKS DAN

The dial a prop worked fine and I had Dee make me a pair for counter rotation that I used for my first counter rotating twin mono. He made beautiful props but mine were pretty ugly. I just never figured out how to make the hard silver solder flow really well without melting the hubs. I did make one good one that won me some races in the early 80's but Octura was the way to go. The Dial a prop was fun to play with but todays props have all the right progressions I could not get out of the home made props. Bob, I just can't get rid of that thing. It has some kind of attachment to me. :wacko:

John

Hey John,

I completely understand about keeping some of the older stuff. I still have some around I use for show and tell. I enjoy the distressed look on new boater's faces when the: "You used that for whaaaaat???" I recall when you first started using the Dial a Prop. Frank and I running for the tall trees when first fired up. The Dial a prop surely filled a void in available props back them.

OK, time for your guess on the boat in post # 27. Andy bailed, deferring to the more distinguished gentlemen in the group - You're on.

Andy,

Not a big Hoss, not O&R or Octura. It was Pinckert's first boat. Wish I had a pic of the radio just to get the: 'Say Whaaaat Factor'. Har, Har !!!

John,

"Das Firespiten Louden Boomer" May well have been a good name for it. All it needed was one of the spiffy Octura Megaphones.

CHEERS !!! Bob

Hey John,

I completely understand about keeping some of the older stuff. I still have some around I use for show and tell. I enjoy the distressed look on new boater's faces when the: "You used that for whaaaaat???" I recall when you first started using the Dial a Prop. Frank and I running for the tall trees when first fired up. The Dial a prop surely filled a void in available props back them.

OK, time for your guess on the boat in post # 27. Andy bailed, deferring to the more distinguished gentlemen in the group - You're on.

Andy,

Not a big Hoss, not O&R or Octura. It was Pinckert's first boat. Wish I had a pic of the radio just to get the: 'Say Whaaaat Factor'. Har, Har !!!

CHEERS !!! Bob
Bob,This is a picture of the kind of radio I started with around 1958-1960. I was 10 or 12 years old and convinced my dad to buy one of these. The dry cell batteries did not last long so I had to wait another year to save enough money to buy more of them.

Bob

thumb-ctx_tube_Tx1.jpg

I began building my fiirst boat in 1973. I Dragonfly 40. Finished it and ran it for the first time in 1974. I also started it with a leather boot lace. Used the leather up until 1979 when Strobe Lander handed me a belt. I said thank you! Now if I could just afford the starter. LOL
Mt first boat also was a Dragonfly with a K&B .40 rear intake side exhaust that I built in 1974. I was using an Ed Kalfus designed radio that didn't like much outside interference. Geez that motor was loud until I jury rigged a pipe on it. The thing was a "blowover special" . My first riggers were a Wing Ding .40 and .60 with OPS engines. Wish I had pictures of those old boats. I still have a set of NOS Wing Ding .60 sponson brackets.

Bill Hoch

Hey John,

Andy,

John,

"Das Firespiten Louden Boomer" May well have been a good name for it. All it needed was one of the spiffy Octura Megaphones.

CHEERS !!! Bob
"It was Pinckert's first boat."

I suspected Pinckert was involved with it somehow. It has resemblence to the fiberglass Sport .60 Hydros that he was building in the early/mid 70's.

The dial a prop worked fine and I had Dee make me a pair for counter rotation that I used for my first counter rotating twin mono. He made beautiful props but mine were pretty ugly. I just never figured out how to make the hard silver solder flow really well without melting the hubs. I did make one good one that won me some races in the early 80's but Octura was the way to go. The Dial a prop was fun to play with but todays props have all the right progressions I could not get out of the home made props. Bob, I just can't get rid of that thing. It has some kind of attachment to me. :wacko:

John
Any chance you could post a picture of it? I'm thinking of building something similar for my SAW program... :rolleyes:

John
Any chance you could post a picture of it? I'm thinking of building something similar for my SAW program... :rolleyes:
Picture of the Dial-a-prop?

Hey John,

Andy,

John,

CHEERS !!! Bob
You are funny Bob! Headed for the trees. Shows you guys were smarter than most. :D

John
Picture of the Dial-a-prop?
Yup, can't quite remember how they worked...

Back