Nitro Pipes Making A Comeback?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shoboat

Boaters,

It seems that the Nitro pipes are coming back in. A lot of racers are going

back to the Nitro pipe with a muffler added. I personally have tried both

setups, and the Nitro pipe seems to have an advantage on my setup atleast.

It will be an interesting topic for discussion I think. :unsure:

Thanks Again,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
Mark

Yea and it will likely get beat to death again and again.

Im going to switch to muffled pipes on all my rides and take my licks for the first year or so.. I just dont want one that gets questioned.. not worth it.

Its Q pipes for me this year on all my piped boats.

Grim

Mark,

It seems to depend on the motor. On my MAC21 the AB nitro pipe seems to work better so I switched back from the parabolic muffled pipe. On my MAC45 the AB parabolic muffled pipe seems to be the ticket, but I have to drill the stinger out so much that I have to put an after muffler on it anyway.

I am all for quiet boats, I just pick the pipe that works best for my application and then figure out how to deal with the noise on a boat to boat basis.

Chris

The problem with an ad-on muffler is that it may fall off. Then it would be up to the CD of the race as to whether or not you get to keep running.

Bob

Chris and Mike,

Good points,I am only posting this discussion based on PERFORMANCE. I do not

want to see it ( the discussion ) go anywhere, but performance issues only. I

think Chris is right, that you have to try and work with each application

seperately.

Beautiful day here in Grand Traverse County,I should be testing

new setups and propellers this weekend,our ice is gone on the bay!

Thanks Fellas, B)

Mark Sholund

What..the ice is gone....what the heck..

Man its going to be weeks for us..

Bake a cake, im on my way over...Hehehe :p

ROCK ON

Grim

I think it will be neat when we finally get a DB reading rule some of the 21's may not even need anything but a nitro pipe.

I know what you mean Mark. My usual practice pond was open today when I went by it on the way home from work. It's up about 2 feet. North of me in G.R. the Grand is supposed to be close to flood stage if not over. It's just a little too cold yet unless I want to run the air-cooled boats.

I don't know if they are really making a comeback, I think that most people found what works on their boats and are just adding the mufflers to them instead of buying muffled pipes.

Chris,

What size did you drill out your AB Parabolic pipe for your 45? I could not get my Sport 40 to run very well at all with it. I run the AB nitro pipe and a Rum Racing Products muffler.

I am in the points in our district and did well at the Grand Prix. I dont want to spend a lot of R&D time if what I have is working well. I would just as soon get rid of the pipe. I know its a good pipe........I just dont know the ticket. Thanks.....

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

NAMBA Scale Unlimited Chairman

Southern California Scale Thunderboat Association

I to am all for the q pipes, but i feel the nitro pipes are better. maybe it has something to do with back pressure, or the fact that q- pipes get hotter. I think that is one of the main problems with them.

I guess the main thing to look at is the fact that very, very very few people make q pipes, let alone work for each persons individual application..

I do feel this is a market waiting for someone to take the bull by the horns. once someone makes a pipe that will work on just about every motor brand... hang on.

chris

Al Waters said:
Chris,What size did you drill out your AB Parabolic pipe for your 45? I could not get my Sport 40 to run very well at all with it. I run the AB nitro pipe and a Rum Racing Products muffler.

I am in the points in our district and did well at the Grand Prix. I dont want to spend a lot of R&D time if what I have is working well. I would just as soon get rid of the pipe. I know its a good pipe........I just dont know the ticket. Thanks.....

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

I drilled my parabolic 40 pipe to .375 and cut the stinger to .600. Cutting the stinger shorter is just as effective as drilling it. I also drilled a small drain hole in the can to allow the fuel build up to empty. this really kept it from loading up during mill time and improved throttle response. All this does make it louder but it's still much less than a nitro pipe.

The one thing I have not been able to work out is the extreme temp. I've never ran a pipe that gets so hot. It will do a number on a starting belt and the header seal at the engine goes real quick.

Check this pipe I made up. It's a 40 Irwin with a Mac can added to it.

We've been selling a lot of stinger mufflers this winter, so I'd say a lot of people are going the add-on route. I can custom-make mufflers to fit most pipes out there if you can give me an accurate measurement of the stinger's diameter. Options include added length, polishing, and water injection. I include a tie point and safety wire to keep them from falling off. Here's a link to my ad on the gas board.

http://pub208.ezboard.com/fjimsrcboatdockf...start=1&stop=20

I can vouge for Mike T. and his muffler work. I've running them for several years and they do the job on my gassers... His newer ones are nicer and quieter than the first designs with little to no performance loss.

Guess I'll have to break down and get one for my 21 now.... :blink:

Al,

Drill it to .375" all the way through. It's louder, but I don't pop a plug every run anymore. I just added a Prather muffler to it and it's nice and quiet again. I have a brand new 45 nitro pipe that I keep meaning to try out. To be honest, my rigger is running the fastest I've ever seen it, so I'm not really too interested in screwing around with another pipe.

Chris

Hi Guys

A couple of comments - you want your boats to be quieter

- Use a soft mount at the rear of the pipe

- Whenever possible shield the intake and flywheel etc to reduce radiated noise

(side benefit improved aerodynamics)

- Use a muffler with lots of volume (volume and change of direction is the key to quiet & enough volume cancels back pressure issues)

- Heat is not a problem for 2 strokes as this is what helps pipes work properly.

There are lots of experts on this board who could provide advice but I noticed they are very quiet. I do not knw if this is so they are not seen as pushing their product Brand X, Y or Z or if they have this issue licked and don't want to pass on hard won results through testing. I do recall someone (John Finch) doing back to back tests and he found 2 quiet pipes superior to all the nitro pipes tested (commonly used brand names). Dave Marles can probably contribute significantly to ths discussion as noise is a big issue around the world and you US guys are only scratching the surface of 'quiet' boats.

just my $0.02

Joe and Chris,

Thanks for the info............. My AB nitro pipe gets hot as well. I need to cool the header pipe I guess. My couplers dont last long at all and the edges of the thin wall header pipe gets roughed up pretty good. The engine cooking head does not get hot at all and the plug gets frosted if tweaked or I can go the day if set a little richer.

Its just that the pipe gets hotter than all get out.

Al Waters

NAMBA Vice President

Al,

On my 45 hydro the couplers seem to last quite a while. Does your pipe telescope over the header?

My pipe gets very HOT, the motor is very warm to hot, plugs seem to last ok unless I lean it down too much. Actually, I'm running 70% through mine and it doesn't seem to be eating plugs unless I get stupid with the mixture control.

Gary,

There's a point where the motor's making too much heat, the pipe is trapping it in the motor and the cooling system can't keep up, then you have a runaway and the plug pops, motor detonates, etc. Drilling out the stinger was the only way that my motor would run on the pipe and not pop a plug. I spend two years working this out with Andy. If I had stuck to the Nitro pipe I could have avoided it all.

Chris

Back