New Picco 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It sounds to like this is a quality for Picco to sort out. Maybe the alluminum doesn't have enough of a yiield point and is too strong for the application. They also need to back up engines with a warranty. I am supposed to get a new Picco this month. I am getting a little nervous about it now.

Andy

if i sell a motor and something goes wrong and it has not been Modded then i will replace what ever parts need to be replaced at my cost ( Please ASk Aaron here in Australia)

Hey Gary I don't know if you spoke to Mike Hallam but maybe send the motor to him and let Mike look at it and make a decision..... I guess there is some type of warranty on them. ;)

Nick

Agree 100% about having flow through with fuel/oil to all the parts, But why not have even better flow through to one of the most vunerable parts of the motor ie big end. Its pretty common knoledge that the old style rods with only the oil holes going through the under side of the rod does not lube the big end as well as the oil hole going from the top of the rod and facing directly the fuel oil comimg into the engine. It also makes the weakest part of the rod stronger as you dont have the two holes going through the weak lower part of the rod. You only have to look at most rod failures and it takes place at the lower half of the rod as the one pictured. The biggest engine market around bar non is the .21 size, Rc on road, off road, boat market and these are some of the highest reving motors around, 40,000 plus in some of the cars. Their isnt many if any that do not put the oil hole through the top of the rod always facing towards the induction.

if i sell a motor and something goes wrong and it has not been Modded then i will replace what ever parts need to be replaced at my cost ( Please ASk Aaron here in Australia)

Hey Gary I don't know if you spoke to Mike Hallam but maybe send the motor to him and let Mike look at it and make a decision..... I guess there is some type of warranty on them. ;)

Nick
IT IS CALLED CUSTOMER SERVICE

the 45 rods lasted for years if you ran the proper percent oil & clearence the rod on the thrust sides.
Joe,

Mind sharing those numbers at all?

Tim.
Tim for the answer on the oil the only additive I use is KLOTZ KL100. It is added to the fuel That I may be runing for that race. depending on what you are buying?? most are blended for 12 14 16 17 percent oils. you will be adding 2 oz or maybe 4oz of oil to get it where it needs to be & you will know the fuel has some Good quaiity oil in it if you put it in there..... the low oil percent fuels are cheaper for the blender & may be fine if you are running the heavier needle rods?? hope this help you out.
Thanks for sharing Joe,

I blend my own fuel - using either 20% KL100 or 15% KL200 + 5% BC175 BeNol, 50% nitro, 30% Methanol.

Regarding the carb trick - you gave me that info for the 67exr many years ago and i applied the same trick to the new 45 engine when it arrived. Works a treat! Highly reccomended. I use a boom tube too.

Regarding the pin clearance, I removed the Piston, liner and Rod and reassembled the drum housing and checked the clearance between crank pin and drum with a 0.010" feeler guage - all good.

I hope others find this useful.

Tim.

Well now I know why my 09 picco 45 had a short life see pic s of piston and rod the rod is on the wrong way from the factory

Gary FCM Racing

How do you get from that pic that the rod is on the wrong way from the factory? The skirt goes all the way around on my engine. The broken piece on yours doesn't have anything to do with direction. Or does it?

Ron

How do you get from that pic that the rod is on the wrong way from the factory? The skirt goes all the way around on my engine. The broken piece on yours doesn't have anything to do with direction. Or does it?

Ron
Ron. Yes that was the rotor side. I took the piston out of the engine at the pond.

p/s Ron I know usually the crank will take a chunk out of the piston, but this came out with the chunk of the rotor side :unsure: unless if it spun around when I turned the boat upside down so the piston can fall out. not sure??

Nick

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't believe that so many people are okay with having to modify a brand new motor out of the box just to keep it from breaking .

Change the rod , change the flywheel bushing , you better make sure the clearances are okay , what a load of CRAP.

If you can not take a brand new engine from the Manufacturer install it in your boat and break it in then there is a problem , period.

Its also amazing how people are so quick to blame the user , in this case you have a couple of very experienced guys with I am guessing at least thirty years combined nitro under their belt not some kid trying to run his first boat yet it can't be the Manufacturers fault.

This is what you get when a company is able to sell a product with no warrenty , no conscience.

Gary get an RS it's every bit as good and will run for years.

Tim

Tim

i'm with you, what a load of crap!!!!!
Im with Joe I blew a 45 up this year it was 4 years old or more. The reason it broke was a hard dunk not a failed rod. It was a stock rod Orlic motor and yes I put another in its place. Given prop care and setup these last. I guess the key is a proper clearance along with a big prop load not Zinging it...........

I can't believe that so many people are okay with having to modify a brand new motor out of the box just to keep it from breaking .

Change the rod , change the flywheel bushing , you better make sure the clearances are okay , what a load of CRAP.

If you can not take a brand new engine from the Manufacturer install it in your boat and break it in then there is a problem , period.

Its also amazing how people are so quick to blame the user , in this case you have a couple of very experienced guys with I am guessing at least thirty years combined nitro under their belt not some kid trying to run his first boat yet it can't be the Manufacturers fault.

This is what you get when a company is able to sell a product with no warrenty , no conscience.

Tim
Since when have you been able to take a engine out of the box & run it?? The picco inspections are required just like any other engine mfger. If you Cannot read a caliper or know where & how much clearence is needed. You may want to pay a engine guy to do the work for you..... The 303 stainless flywheel cone is a part improvement... MY CMB RS101 Runs very well But it too required pre-inspection tear down & several Mods to run..UPFRONT..... The people in the winners circle @ the end of the weekend would tell you the same... Most engines have a mfgers parts defect warranty....(workmanship) It`s up to the buyer to find the defects before you put the engine in use. MAC, CMB, Picco, Novarossi, are all the same when it comes to any replacement warranty issues......

Last edited by a moderator:
Iv only had 1 motor that i took out of the box and ran, it was a saito 300 twin, for my airplane.

I have a brand new CMB 21 Valvola I just purchased from Stu Barr,

Guess what, it's lying on my bench right now in pieces, I haden't even rotated it over by hand yet

standard practice @ my shop

Tim
Since when have you been able to take a engine out of the box & run it?? The picco inspections are required just like any other engine mfger. If you Cannot read a caliper or know where & how much clearence is needed. You may want to pay a engine guy to do the work for you..... The 303 stainless flywheel cone is a part improvement... MY CMB RS101 Runs very well But it too required pre-inspection tear down & several Mods to run..UPFRONT..... The people the winners circle @ the end of the weekend would tell you the same... Most engines have a mfgers parts defect warranty.... It`s up to the buyer to find the defects before they put the engine in use. MAC, CMB, Picco, Novarossi, are all the same when it comes to any replacement warranty issues......

Joe

Thats the problem for years it has been up to the consumer to find the Manufacturers mistakes , how many other products would you be willing to take apart before using them ?

As for what engine will run out of the box , I put a totally stock $200 Zen in a T-Boat last year and two seasons later it's still running great.

Im just glad to see Mke has looked after his customer I just hope Picco looks after Mike.

Tim

Tim
Tim, I probably shouldnt admit this, but im gonna anyway...I took motors right out of the box and stuck em in boats for years..K&B,O.S.,CMB, whatever..never broke ONE...BUT im sure that it had to be PURE LUCK that i didnt break one...I think that it came from playing with C/L and R/C airplane engines..i just dont remember any instructions with airplane or heli stuff that said that i HAD to take a BRAND NEW engine apart before i used it. And i gotta say that you make a good point...to me for the ungodly prices that we pay for these engines, one would think that the manufacturer would at least be be able to clean the burrs and shavings out of em! That being said, with the help of some friends, by taking the engines apart, things like head clearances and possible potential problems can be checked and corrected, as whether we like it or not, these are considered racing engines.BUT even as racing engines, the parts in them should be correctly made, made from the right materials, and should be assembled CORRECTLY FROM THE MANUFACTURER! Needless to say, i do pull my new motors apart now before i run them...they just cost too much not to.....

Just received my replacement motor from Mike Hallam over the top service. I phoned Mike and ask if I should take it apart his reply no I have checked the motor. I think Mike is going to check the motors before he ships them so if something happens to the motor you are on your owen. Who better to take the motor apart than the person selling it this should be the practice for all selling nitro motors.In the auto industry they call it a pre service inspection.

Gary

FCM Racing

Last edited:
Gary,

Have you learned nothing from this experience? You said in an earlier post that the seller told you to do nothing and run the engine, so you did. Why would you make the same mistake this time around? With your many years experience... Don't you think you should check it yourself before running the engine? Nothing wrong with a second opinion.

You know as well as I do that a new car dealer pre delivery inspection/safety check is nothing more than an expensive car wash.

"Since when have you been able to take a engine out of the box & run it?? The picco inspections are required just like any other engine mfger. If you Cannot read a caliper or know where & how much clearence is needed. You may want to pay a engine guy to do the work for you..... The 303 stainless flywheel cone is a part improvement... MY CMB RS101 Runs very well But it too required pre-inspection tear down & several Mods to run..UPFRONT..... The people in the winners circle @ the end of the weekend would tell you the same... Most engines have a mfgers parts defect warranty.... It`s up to the buyer to find the defects before you put the engine in use. MAC, CMB, Picco, Novarossi, are all the same when it comes to my replacement warranty issues......"

Amen to Joe. I agree 100%.

ps. Hallam treated you right the first time around even after you dis'd the product and distributor here on Intl waters. I'm not sure I would expect it a second time.

Ron J

Gary,

Have you learned nothing from this experience? You said in an earlier post that the seller told you to do nothing and run the engine, so you did. Why would you make the same mistake this time around? With your many years experience... Don't you think you should check it yourself before running the engine? Nothing wrong with a second opinion.

You know as well as I do that a new car dealer pre delivery inspection/safety check is nothing more than an expensive car wash.

"Since when have you been able to take a engine out of the box & run it?? The picco inspections are required just like any other engine mfger. If you Cannot read a caliper or know where & how much clearence is needed. You may want to pay a engine guy to do the work for you..... The 303 stainless flywheel cone is a part improvement... MY CMB RS101 Runs very well But it too required pre-inspection tear down & several Mods to run..UPFRONT..... The people in the winners circle @ the end of the weekend would tell you the same... Most engines have a mfgers parts defect warranty.... It`s up to the buyer to find the defects before you put the engine in use. MAC, CMB, Picco, Novarossi, are all the same when it comes to my replacement warranty issues......"

Amen to Joe. I agree 100%.

ps. Hallam treated you right the first time around even after you dis'd the product and distributor here on Intl waters. I'm not sure I would expect it a second time.

Ron J

Ron not once did I say anything negitive about the product or Mike Hallam read the posts at first I excepted my loss but after looking at it I was not sure I was to blame. Mike Hallam has many years of experiance if he took the motor apart and checked it thats is good enough for me.Why is it this thread is about me. At this point I think it should change direction and give Mike Hallem credit for his good service.

PS My first engine had the stainless flywheel cone and this one as well

Thanks

Gary

Last edited:
Back