New Picco 45

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well my day did not go as well as I hoped. Motor was very tight broke ROD PISTON and CASE this is not good this is an up date from my other post

Gary

Man that really sucks Gary , can you see what caused the failure ?

Tim
Tim. from what I saw the rod split at the oil hole. no heat marks no blue marks anywhere. the rod came off the crank pin clean with out the bushing, I could see the bushing on the crank and it looked like new, everything in the engine was nice and shine.... it looked liked it never run!!!! its a shame that the manufactures don't stand behind there product because to me it looks like a defective rod :angry:

Gary take some pic from the parts and post here so all can see what a piece of **** that engine really is.

Nick

Pic s of motor
LOOKS TO ME LIKE OPERATOR ERROR OVER REV OR TO LEAN! I WILL TELL YOU GUYS WHAT YOU KEEP COMPLAINING ABOUT THERES NOT ENOUGH ENGINE BUILDERS OUT THERE AND PICCO STEPS UP TO YOUR NEEDS AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM. DONT BE SUPRISED WHEN PICCO HERES ABOUT THESE COMPLAINERS AND STOPS BUILDING THEM AGIN! THEY DONT NEED TO BUILD MARINE ENGINES THEY MAKE ALL THEIR BUCKS ON CAR ENGINES. SO IF YOUY WANT THE SUPPLY OFF ENGINES TO BE TURNED OFF AGAIN THEN JUST KEEP BLAMING PICCO FOR YOUR MISTAKES AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.

Well my day did not go as well as I hoped. Motor was very tight broke ROD PISTON and CASE this is not good this is an up date from my other post

Gary

Tim
Tim. from what I saw the rod split at the oil hole. no heat marks no blue marks anywhere. the rod came off the crank pin clean with out the bushing, I could see the bushing on the crank and it looked like new, everything in the engine was nice and shine.... it looked liked it never run!!!! its a shame that the manufactures don't stand behind there product because to me it looks like a defective rod :angry:

Gary take some pic from the parts and post here so all can see what a piece of **** that engine really is.

Nick

Pic s of motor
LOOKS TO ME LIKE OPERATOR ERROR OVER REV OR TO LEAN! I WILL TELL YOU GUYS WHAT YOU KEEP COMPLAINING ABOUT THERES NOT ENOUGH ENGINE BUILDERS OUT THERE AND PICCO STEPS UP TO YOUR NEEDS AND ALL YOU CAN DO IS COMPLAIN ABOUT THEM. DONT BE SUPRISED WHEN PICCO HERES ABOUT THESE COMPLAINERS AND STOPS BUILDING THEM AGIN! THEY DONT NEED TO BUILD MARINE ENGINES THEY MAKE ALL THEIR BUCKS ON CAR ENGINES. SO IF YOUY WANT THE SUPPLY OFF ENGINES TO BE TURNED OFF AGAIN THEN JUST KEEP BLAMING PICCO FOR YOUR MISTAKES AND SEE WHAT HAPPENS.
could you please explain (in detail ie. your method used) to determine that this was an operator's error lean or over rev. There were 7 boaters standing there watching the boat running laps by itself and it was unable to rev because it was so rich. Each time the boat

came in we checked the engine temp. and all checked out ok. If the engine ran so lean why didnt it blow a glow plug? And if picco wants to stop the supply so be it. If the engine is

junk who wants it? He is not the only one complaining here. You should go back and read

the other posts on this site and others regarding the same complaint.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gary

Tim

Nick

Pic s of motor
could you please explain (in detail ie. your method used) to determine that this was an operator's error lean or over rev. There were 7 boaters standing there watching the boat running laps by itself and it was unable to rev because it was so rich. Each time the boat

came in we checked the engine temp. and all checked out ok. If the engine ran so lean why didnt it blow a glow plug? And if picco wants to stop the supply so be it. If the engine is

junk who wants it? He is not the only one complaining here. You should go back and read

the other posts on this site and others regarding the same complaint.
DID YOU EVER THINK THAT MAYBE YOU RAN THE ENGINE TO RICH

Personally i have never seen a motor break because of to rich.. if it has happened i would like to see it.

me and dad spoke with several people at hobart about the rods and the crank pins breaking.. i would suspect that this situation is in regards to the same sitations that we discussed over there.

maybe neal could talk to picco about using a steel rod? that would help alot of this situation.

chris

If you have run picco for 26 years that has nothing to do with this picco this is a new picco only time will tell if it is good or bad it is my loss and I have not ask for anybody to pick up the tab. Just my bad luck and by the way my black head with the RPM rod is running strong in my friends boat. RPM ROD

Gary

Personally i have never seen a motor break because of to rich.. if it has happened i would like to see it.

me and dad spoke with several people at hobart about the rods and the crank pins breaking.. i would suspect that this situation is in regards to the same sitations that we discussed over there.

maybe neal could talk to picco about using a steel rod? that would help alot of this situation.

chris
chris im not trying to say you are wrong.an abc engine needs to come up to tempature and running it at an extremely rich setting for a period of time will cause premature wear on the piston as well as the rod and cause it to stretch and break. this is because the cylinder is too cold and the piston is forced into the bore and sticks and is then pulled back down with the connecting rod.i have experienced this first hand on a few engines over the years.

If you have run picco for 26 years that has nothing to do with this picco this is a new picco only time will tell if it is good or bad it is my loss and I have not ask for anybody to pick up the tab. Just my bad luck and by the way my black head with the RPM rod is running strong in my friends boat. RPM ROD

Gary
gary i never said that i was not running the new picco .45 i was saying that the picco is a very high quality engine and it has proved itself over and over again to me. the old ones and the new ones

I was at the pond also when Gary's motor failed. I watched these Guy's flowing the motor and running it a little rich. In my opinion, they were doing a proper break-in. These guy's have a lot of experience with nitro motors and are well respected in our club and our district (1 IMPBA). This was a rod failure . I hope there is not a problem with these new motors and maybe someone should step up and make things right

I dont want to be the bearer of bad news to the owner of this engine, but anyone who has done any research on this engine as well as the engine its based on should know the Rod is and always has been its weak point. When this problem is corrected (ie, RPM rod, which you cant get anymore)These engines are top notch, no doubt. Its just like most CMB's have disk/drum rotor clearance problems that need to be addressed out of the box. You fix it before you run it. Then your gold. I know it sounds mean, but were you suprised when the connecting rod broke? I would love to have got a new P45 R, since I loved the way my Blackhead ran(with an aftermarket rod) , but they havent fixed the problem yet and I cant get an RPM rod for it. So, until they do, Ill stick with my CMB RS, which has a steel rod. ;) Im not knocking Picco, They are great engines, just not for me yet.

Yes Tim K, your right.

Larry Gempp Jr.

Last edited by a moderator:
There is a problem with the new picco 45's, :angry:

Mike Hallam are there many people got back to you with this problem

can you talk to Picco about this issue

thanks Luca

There is a problem with the new picco 45's, :angry:

Mike Hallam are there many people got back to you with this problem

can you talk to Picco about this issue

thanks Luca
Luca did you have a bad experiences with on of the new piccos also??

Nick

Guys,

I'm not posting here to sell rods, as this thread is already taking care of that. But........

Mike and Neal can "talk to Picco" until they are blue in the face. I didn't QUOTE the "stupid American" thing to be a wisea$$. This was Picco's response to complaints they had recieved about the Blackhead rods. They said the only reason the rods were failing was the fact that the Americans were using too much nitro. It's sad, really, because they really do build a nice engine. But if there is a consistant failure of the same part, then it's not "operator error", and it needs to be addressed or the entire ass'y is a failure. In the past, the solution was to swap the stock rod with an RPM rod and the engine was reliable. This seems to still be the case. I'm not sure if it's a case of bad material (something other than 7075) or poor manufacturing processes. Either way, it sucks for the buyer.

Another thing.......... Threatening the buyers with cutting them off from a problematic engine is almost laughable. As Nightmare so politely pointed out, "If the engine is junk, who wants it." If Picco chooses to cease production rather than remedy the issue, I think it really shows what they are all about, and CMB makes out in the long run. End of story.

Just some thoughts from someone on the outside looking in.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

The rod is not the problem. You have to look deeper into the rod failure to find the problem. Sure the rod is the weak point but is not the problem. Just my 2cent worth.

Guys,

I'm not posting here to sell rods, as this thread is already taking care of that. But........

Mike and Neal can "talk to Picco" until they are blue in the face. I didn't QUOTE the "stupid American" thing to be a wisea$$. This was Picco's response to complaints they had recieved about the Blackhead rods. They said the only reason the rods were failing was the fact that the Americans were using too much nitro. It's sad, really, because they really do build a nice engine. But if there is a consistant failure of the same part, then it's not "operator error", and it needs to be addressed or the entire ass'y is a failure. In the past, the solution was to swap the stock rod with an RPM rod and the engine was reliable. This seems to still be the case. I'm not sure if it's a case of bad material (something other than 7075) or poor manufacturing processes. Either way, it sucks for the buyer.

Another thing.......... Threatening the buyers with cutting them off from a problematic engine is almost laughable. As Nightmare so politely pointed out, "If the engine is junk, who wants it." If Picco chooses to cease production rather than remedy the issue, I think it really shows what they are all about, and CMB makes out in the long run. End of story.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad,

You didn't answer the question.

"Can we get brad to start making RPM cloned rods?"

Looks like people need a good product with availability.

Later, Ron

Ron, others,

The nod in my direction came while I was typing........ :rolleyes:

I'll be starting a large batch of them as soon as I can get to them. I've got a couple other things to get out of the way first, but the rods are in the works.

Paul,

If the rod is not the problem, then why does it go away when you replace the stock rod with an RPM or Titan? Would you like to enlighten the unfortuante buyers as to what the problem REALLY is?

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJAck Hydros

Guys,

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros
Brad; Were did you come up with the response from Picco that the "stupid americans" were useing to much nitro ? J.ODonnell

Back