NAMBA District 9 Director

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike McKnight

After much consideration I have decided to run for another term as District Director of NAMBA District 9. I have raced big and small boats since 1982 as a member of APBA and then as a member of NAMBA since 2001.

My main reasons for running for a second term are:

1. We have had a serious decline in a lot of areas of the District in the past 6 years. From the loss of race ponds to membership, the list goes on and on.

2. We have been put on track to host a Nationals in 2014. I was the Co-Contest Director for the last Nationals we hosted in 2007 in San Jose and as many have attested to it was a very successful event despite overcoming some major hurdles. I do not expect to be a Co-Contest Director again but I will be there to assist the CD for the 2014 Nationals.

3. Right now our district is in need of someone with leadership skills to tackle the issues we have in front of us and to plan for the future. My leadership skills speak for themselves as I have been the leader of almost every organization I have ever belonged to since I was a teenager. I followed a very good director in 2005 and I believe I left the district in 2007 in as good or better shape than when I took over. This time there is much rebuilding to do and I have a number of plans developed for various issues already. If I am elected these plans are ready to implement immediately. Plus I have developed relationships with numerous members of both NAMBA and IMPBA around the country over the years that are good resources for ideas and help.

Should I be elected again I have several goals to accomplish. To bring us back to being one of the premiere districts in NAMBA as we once were. To attract new boaters. To acquire new race ponds. I have already done some preliminary work on that already. But, to do this I plan to ask members of this district that have not currently been involved in the inner workings of the district to take on a position and assume a role in rebuilding.

Very soon NAMBA will be mailing out the ballots and I would appreciate your support. Thank you.

Other than the Hooks family I am not sure who is actually in San Jose. There are a number of members spread out all through the Bay Area. I do know that there are a number of folks that are NAMBA members that do not race that are in the SJ area.

Other than the Hooks family I am not sure who is actually in San Jose. There are a number of members spread out all through the Bay Area. I do know that there are a number of folks that are NAMBA members that do not race that are in the SJ area.
I see, thanks. I was curious what local (San Jose) race attendance levels were like, if their numbers were higher/lower than South. Calif area (District 19)? I guess Roger Hooks may know?

Last edited by a moderator:
Right now D9 races are less than half what they were when I ended my last term in 07. Right now we only have two viable ponds. One is Fremont which almost all of the Bay Area members go to practice. We had to suspend using it for the latter half of this season for safety. The water levels were drawn down to do some repairs to the feeder pipes from Alameda Creek. Since we have had the last few races at Lake Minden up North of Sacramento we have had some drop off in attendance.

Right now D9 races are less than half what they were when I ended my last term in 07. Right now we only have two viable ponds. One is Fremont which almost all of the Bay Area members go to practice. We had to suspend using it for the latter half of this season for safety. The water levels were drawn down to do some repairs to the feeder pipes from Alameda Creek. Since we have had the last few races at Lake Minden up North of Sacramento we have had some drop off in attendance.
I see, thanks. That's too bad. Many lakes and ponds up in that region, hopefully you guys can land other locations (nearer to urban region). What about that unique pond in Seaside (across the street from Embassy Suites hotel)?

Seaside is still an option from what I'm told but the two clubs that used to hold races there no longer exist. As of today no other club has been willing to hold a race there. With regards to other lakes in urban areas...most to this point will not allow RC boats due to development around those lakes. We have lost 2 at least for that reason alone.

I have been asked a few times lately about what makes a good leader so I thought I would throw this out there since we have a number of folks including myself that are running for a leadership position this year...

Here is a section of a Forbes Magazine article I read recently:

Leadership has nothing to do with titles. Similar to the point above, just because you have a title, doesn’t automatically make you a “leader.” In all of my talks I stress the fact that you don’t need a title to lead. In fact, you can be a leader in your place of worship, your neighborhood, in your family, all without having a title.

Leadership has nothing to do with personal attributes. Say the word “leader” and most people thing of a domineering, take-charge charismatic individual. We often think of icons from history like General Patton or President Lincoln. But leadership isn’t an adjective. We don’t need extroverted charismatic traits to practice leadership. And those with charisma don’t automatically lead.

Leadership isn’t management. This is the big one. Leadership and management are not synonymous. You have 15 people in your downline and P&L responsibility? Good for you, hopefully you are a good manager. Good management is needed. Managers need to plan, measure, monitor, coordinate, solve, hire, fire, and so many other things. Typically, managers manage things. Leaders lead people.

Of all the quotes I have ever heard or read I like this one the best: "Leaders are people who empower others." I don't care how good a leader you think you are if you cannot empower others and get them to willingly buy into your ideas or vision you are destined to fail. If you are thinking this is all hooey and overkill because we are just model boaters, well I can tell you that a lot of other organizations down to junior football programs follow these principles. Not all but a lot do. Now with that knowledge you should expect more from our leadership.

Well said Mike. All too often, those who have volunteered or been elected into what should be considered "leadership positions" either:

1) don't know how to lead so they don't do anything

2) lead by being a dictator

3) try too hard and make mistakes detrimental to the organization

It's good to see someone that is willing to try to make things better volunteering for an office.

Back