MY NEW SPORT 20 BUILD ...LEGAL OR NOT THAT IS THE QUESTION

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This has been a GREAT topic...so much discussion.. hope no one was offended ......everyone is entitled to thier own view point as to what a sport hydro class should be about so here is mine...doesnt mean that its right, just mine...to me its the one class that should allow one to use thier imagination not only for performance but for APPEARENCE..to replicate boats of the PAST and PRESENT...the last thing it should be is any kind of spec class, and the reason for having a sport class is to build a boat that looks something like a REAL boat without the challanges of building a SCALE boat. If the class is about nothing but performance then we should all race riggers..ive got nothing against outriggers..raced em for years and im presently building a new 20 hydro..BUT ive shown my outriggers to people who are new to model boats and they dont even know what they are looking at!!! But when they see a sport boat,even a modern one they know its a boat....regarding the rules, perhaps more research should be done by looking at the thousands of pictures that are out there of full size limited and unlimited 3 point hydroplane designs that have come and gone through the years...we gotta have rules and i respect that, but not rules that limit the imagination to the point where we have another class where ho hum...they all look the same.
just finished making the tank and all linkages and mounting everything except the woods shaft oiler and it come in at a weight of 4 pounds 1 ounce no fuel.. and it is not sealed.. i expect about 6 oz of clear, paint, and sealing epoxy... what are some other ready to run weights on sport 20 boats.. and now that i am here it will leave to be inspected.. hopefully get it back by mid may to race in its first race..lol

terry
Terry, what motor are you going to run in it? What size fuel tank? Just curious....Bill

I just wanna give everyone in this post an "ATTA BOY". Great conversation, knowledge and feedback on a very touchy subject. Best of all NO BASHING, just very good constructive criticism that was taken very well.

Thanks for a very good topic and even better behavior.

Robert Holland

This has been a GREAT topic...so much discussion.. hope no one was offended ......everyone is entitled to thier own view point as to what a sport hydro class should be about so here is mine...doesnt mean that its right, just mine...to me its the one class that should allow one to use thier imagination not only for performance but for APPEARENCE..to replicate boats of the PAST and PRESENT...the last thing it should be is any kind of spec class, and the reason for having a sport class is to build a boat that looks something like a REAL boat without the challanges of building a SCALE boat. If the class is about nothing but performance then we should all race riggers..ive got nothing against outriggers..raced em for years and im presently building a new 20 hydro..BUT ive shown my outriggers to people who are new to model boats and they dont even know what they are looking at!!! But when they see a sport boat,even a modern one they know its a boat....regarding the rules, perhaps more research should be done by looking at the thousands of pictures that are out there of full size limited and unlimited 3 point hydroplane designs that have come and gone through the years...we gotta have rules and i respect that, but not rules that limit the imagination to the point where we have another class where ho hum...they all look the same.
just finished making the tank and all linkages and mounting everything except the woods shaft oiler and it come in at a weight of 4 pounds 1 ounce no fuel.. and it is not sealed.. i expect about 6 oz of clear, paint, and sealing epoxy... what are some other ready to run weights on sport 20 boats.. and now that i am here it will leave to be inspected.. hopefully get it back by mid may to race in its first race..lol

terry
Terry, what motor are you going to run in it? What size fuel tank? Just curious....Bill
i am running a nova 5 port and i hope it come to a 8 oz tank in the nose..lol. 4 inches wide x 3 /34 inches long .. 3/4 at the front and 1 5/8 at the back.. should be good it is comparable to my blackbird tank that holds 10 oz.. :D

terry

i know this is an old topic but i was wondering how this boat turned out?

actually we have tested it and it is pretty fast , i attempted to race it this past weekend but the winds were so bad the race was called, it turns so hard and quick i can say it is awesome to drive and runs good and flat all you can see in the water is the rearmost inch or so of the sponsons and the strut / prop ...ill post pics of it running and still when i can figure it out on here, i couldnt work the old system , now im really messed up ..lol

tk

actually we have tested it and it is pretty fast , i attempted to race it this past weekend but the winds were so bad the race was called, it turns so hard and quick i can say it is awesome to drive and runs good and flat all you can see in the water is the rearmost inch or so of the sponsons and the strut / prop ...ill post pics of it running and still when i can figure it out on here, i couldnt work the old system , now im really messed up ..lol

tk
Terry, give me a call or email. I was looking at your install pics, and have a few concerns/comments.

Sweet, I have been working up some ideas of my own and would love to see, hear more about your build! BTW, you need a name for it lol!

Sweet, I have been working up some ideas of my own and would love to see, hear more about your build! BTW, you need a name for it lol!
well i kinda named it the "outlaw" since it was stirring up the fellas from the south..lol anyhow i ended up painting it panther pink so that for the prototype it may not be fitting, but then agian a black boat is hard to see..i have some other names in mind and if all goes well i may need them, thanks for the comments and ill get pics/ video here soon.

tk

NM, I'll read all the way through next time. Sorry to clutter it up.
well today was a good test day ..we had the thing flying ..with a near stock 5 port " head clearence and bowl volume and cupped up 1445 prop and pipe at 7 15/16 on my own mix 70 percent ...she went 63.7 mph and consistant in the high 62 range.. and i belive it can pull a 1450 ?? not sure as i didnt have one with me .. it is blowing a plug a run but it is flyin.. and very smooth and stable not tendincies to blow off unlessi give it too much left.. i fully belive when the motor is really running good it will for sure break 70 . what a good feeling that was.. ill keep you all informed.

tk

well today was a good test day ..we had the thing flying ..with a near stock 5 port " head clearence and bowl volume and cupped up 1445 prop and pipe at 7 15/16 on my own mix 70 percent ...she went 63.7 mph and consistant in the high 62 range.. and i belive it can pull a 1450 ?? not sure as i didnt have one with me .. it is blowing a plug a run but it is flyin.. and very smooth and stable not tendincies to blow off unlessi give it too much left.. i fully belive when the motor is really running good it will for sure break 70 . what a good feeling that was.. ill keep you all informed.

tk
So Terry, where are the pictures :unsure:

With all of the discussion regarding comparisons between Sport Hydros and full sized race boats, I would highly recommend Phil Kunz's book Prop Riders. It's available from the APBA Store; http://racing-images.com/mcart/index.cgi?ID=E7N9GK&task=show&cat=Books%2c+Posters%2c+Video . Phil is one of the foremost experts in the world when it comes to boat racing. Phil has a great website too; http://www.philkunzphotography.com/ .

There is a boat by a fellow named John Tone that isn't all that different from the hull that started this discussion. It's named Lobster Boat and ran pretty good.

Propriders.jpg

tonehull_s563.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
The boats ran a couple of weeks ago here in Walled Lake, Michigan. I took some picks of some of the Loiusiana Group boats. They are different and fast. Nice group of guys too. These hulls are Jon Staudacher designs. Probably the best in the business. He has extensive knowledge of planes as well as boats....

staudacher_boat.jpg

tk
I'm puttin' on my rubber boots!
biggrin.gif

tk
biggrin.gif

you are welcome to contact mark voohires.. he ran the gun and well if that isnt good enough i will have it in mendota just for a little test run agianst race traffic.

terry

tk
biggrin.gif

you are welcome to contact mark voohires.. he ran the gun and well if that isnt good enough i will have it in mendota just for a little test run agianst race traffic.

terry
Terry, You know how tough the crowd is in Mendota, You better get the IMPBA seal of approval first or they might not even let you put it in the water.
smile.gif
Then it will be just another 70mph shelf queen.

Current straitline IMPBA record SPORT 20 60.37mph your design must be amazing stock 5 port WOW.

Latest posts

Back