MY NEW SPORT 20 BUILD ...LEGAL OR NOT THAT IS THE QUESTION

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TERMINATOR

i have submitted pics of this hull design on here and am wondering what you all think.. i have seen the pay and pak which bill my friend from florida said was legal and a 3 pt hydro that has rigger styling.. i dont feel this is a modified rigger as it has non adjustable sponsons, it has a full lenght cowling, and meets the sport 20 demensions that are rquired to be legal, i know the sponsons need to blend into the "center section" i try not to call it a tub as it is not and to keep it away from the "modified rigger" labeling. help me out here phil ..lets make this thing legal as in my opinion the only boat on the market right now that even comes close to looking lke a real hydroplane is phils stuff.. most boats like blazers and marks all have a nose that looks like a rigger, hydros have rounded noses not square block noses.. what do you all think?

terminator

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12376126..._378_436257.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12376126...9_378_27232.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12376126..._378_288460.jpg

http://www.intlwaters.com/uploads/12376126..._378_153502.jpg

i have submitted pics of this hull design on here and am wondering what you all think.. i have seen the pay and pak which bill my friend from florida said was legal and a 3 pt hydro that has rigger styling.. i dont feel this is a modified rigger as it has non adjustable sponsons, it has a full lenght cowling, and meets the sport 20 demensions that are rquired to be legal, i know the sponsons need to blend into the "center section" i try not to call it a tub as it is not and to keep it away from the "modified rigger" labeling. help me out here phil ..lets make this thing legal as in my opinion the only boat on the market right now that even comes close to looking lke a real hydroplane is phils stuff.. most boats like blazers and marks all have a nose that looks like a rigger, hydros have rounded noses not square block noses.. what do you all think?
terminator

Nothing square about these noses.

MVC_001S.JPG

MVC_002S.JPG

Well since your asking for opinions, I think you boat would make a perfectly good 21 hydro and not a sport 20. It has modified rigger pasted all over it. The Pay n Pak outrigger and the Winston Lobster Boat are not allowed in Sport 40 due to there being modified riggers so I cannot see yours being any different. Item #2 states:Hull must be a three (3) point hydroplane configuration and resemble a limited or unlimited hydroplane design of past or present. Hulls not permitted: outrigger,modified outrigger, tunnels, or canard hulls. I have been a hydro fan for 25+ years and I cannot recall ever seeing a real boat look like yours. But I guess it is up to the IMPBA Technical Director.

Just my opinion,

Buddy Benedict

Well all of the real cabover style of limited hydros that I have seen. (I have been around them since I was in dippers) They all have air traps. Just so everone knows. An air trap runs from the back of the sponson to the transom. It keeps the air under the hull all the way to the transom. It helps lift the boat. It is about the same depth as the sponson backs and tappers down to almost nothing at the transom.

I do not see any air traps on Terry's or any of Brian's whiplash's. These hulls are decked riggers if you ask me.

Note: I am not here to start a debate I am just stating what I think is a true 3 point hydroplane.

Well all of the real cabover style of limited hydros that I have seen. (I have been around them since I was in dippers) They all have air traps. Just so everone knows. An air trap runs from the back of the sponson to the transom. It keeps the air under the hull all the way to the transom. It helps lift the boat. It is about the same depth as the sponson backs and tappers down to almost nothing at the transom.
I do not see any air traps on Terry's or any of Brian's whiplash's. These hulls are decked riggers if you ask me.

Note: I am not here to start a debate I am just stating what I think is a true 3 point hydroplane.
i actually have not installed them yet but they will be going on here this week before i seal it, i need to get the radio box finished and see if this will be firewood..or a running sport 20 . or a test mule for engine break-in .. thanks guys keep it coming.

terry

Buddy has the most convincing arguement against thingy looking boats, sport hydros really are supposed to look like a limited or unlimited design, not scale just same type of hulls.

Here is a picture of a "different boat" full scale so they all dont look the same and dont have full lenght airtraps.

limited hydro

This boat appears to have sponsons on a square hull and what about that turn fin mount,,, HA hey it worked.

here are some more pictures. your boat looks great. it should be legal to run. i bet it will be a rocket. the real ones run great. they are just as fast in the turns as the straight.

Hampton2007A25IMG376.jpg

pontiac04a60.jpg

There absolutly are full size hydros that did not use air traps.......and there is nothing wrong with calling the center section of a hydroplane a "tub'"...cause thats exactly what it is!! Go to The vinatage boat site or APBA site and start looking at pictures of full size hydros... especially limited class boats of all shapes and sizes..The number of different designs is incredible! I Think people get too stuck on unlimited hydro designs and arent aware of the other classes of hydros out there that one could model a boat after. Thats what i love about sport hydro...you can really use your imagination if you want to!The picture that Phil posted is a perfect example of a different design...but it is a 3 point hydro!

We've been down this road before..............

As it is currently configured it is not an IMPBA legal sport boat. With your sponsons having clear defining lines and not blending into the body decking it is a modified rigger but it seems you know that already?? This is why the BBY War Eagle sport 40 hull is not IMPBA legal as it's patterned directly after the Winston Eagle lobster boat, a modified outrigger. Take a good look at Mark Bullard's pic or any of the wood Whiplash boats. While there has been numerous debates about the Whips and how they are "reskinned riggers", both Mark's and Brian's designs have the sponson top decking blending into the surface decking of the center section area. Also make sure the amount that the bow recess behind the tips of the sponsons, the recess is less than 25% of the overall length of the boat. Terry I think it's a cool looking boat but as it stands right now if left unchanged it will wind up in the 20 hydro class.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice boat design! Looks fast just sitting there. I thought I would never say this, but yeah, that looks like a modified rigger to me.

My .02 cents.

David

We've been down this road before..............
As it is currently configured it is not an IMPBA legal sport boat. With your sponsons having clear defining lines and not blending into the body decking it is a modified rigger but it seems you know that already?? This is why the BBY War Eagle sport 40 hull is not IMPBA legal as it's patterned directly after the Winston Eagle lobster boat, a modified outrigger. Take a good look at Mark Bullard's pic or any of the wood Whiplash boats. While there has been numerous debates about the Whips and how they are "reskinned riggers", both Mark's and Brian's designs have the sponson top decking blending into the surface decking of the center section area. Also make sure the amount that the bow recess behind the tips of the sponsons, the recess is less than 25% of the overall length of the boat. Terry I think it's a cool looking boat but as it stands right now if left unchanged it will wind up in the 20 hydro class.
Here is pictures of the bottom of one of my boats. See how the sponson connects to the side of the tunnel traps which is part of the tub/hull. Even the older Blazer boats don't connect this way, but Phil's do. This boat meets IMPBA rules to the letter.

MVC_035S.JPG

MVC_053S.JPG

MVC_072S__1_.JPG

MVC_073S__1_.JPG

MVC_074S__1_.JPG

MVC_075S__1_.JPG

MVC_076S__1_.JPG

Terry the best way to find out if it's legal in IMPBA is to submit plans to Mike Schindler and pictures with measuremments since he is the head of the IMPBA technical committee. This is what BBY did. This way you get an official ruling.

Bill Zuber

terminator

Nice looking boat,unfortunately not a legal Sport 20 for use in the IMPBA.

Ron Zaker Jr

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, Where do you get that "Top Secret" tape at? :D
David
It is what's under the tape that counts. LOL
So secret, had to use Spell Check!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ok guys will it be legal if i reset the sponsons at the top of the deck and make it flush and then fill in the sharp angle at the back of the sponsons.. all other measurements are within guidlines..i am just asking to se what you all think, if it will work to help make it legal i can set them that way before i glue them on .. if not it heads to the burn barrel ... :(

tk

Buddy has the most convincing arguement against thingy looking boats, sport hydros really are supposed to look like a limited or unlimited design, not scale just same type of hulls.
Here is a picture of a "different boat" full scale so they all dont look the same and dont have full lenght airtraps.

limited hydro

This boat appears to have sponsons on a square hull and what about that turn fin mount,,, HA hey it worked.

Phil, Yes Terry's hull looks some what like the new hydros that John is designing for the limeted classes. But Johns hull is way more like a modified rigger than a traditional hydro. There were also some 4 point limited hydros made once upon a time. So if Terry's hull is legal, would a 4 point hydro be legal in sport hydro?? It is realy a decked rigger.

Wow, Where do you get that "Top Secret" tape at? :D
David
It is what's under the tape that counts. LOL
So secret, had to use Spell Check!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
ok guys will it be legal if i reset the sponsons at the top of the deck and make it flush and then fill in the sharp angle at the back of the sponsons.. all other measurements are within guidlines..i am just asking to se what you all think, if it will work to help make it legal i can set them that way before i glue them on .. if not it heads to the burn barrel ... :(

tk
DONT BURN IT! ship to me!! ill pay for shipping!

Latest posts

Back